View Full Version : What effects do stimulants have on autistic people

asalem
01-02-17, 11:19 PM
I am on the spectrum and I am thinking of getting diagnosed for ADHD as my research has proven to me that I have it. I am very lightweight when it comes to taking medicine. I once took normal dosages of stimulants and it made me feel high and happy. It was only a one time thing but I don't want to always be "high" while I am on medicine for ADHD. I think this has to do with our increased patterns of synapses, which research has proven that we have more synapses than normal people. I say this because I took a very very low dosage of Concerta and I felt extremely high. This means I feel the medicine more. Will I react differently since I have autism?

sarahsweets
01-03-17, 06:40 AM
I am on the spectrum and I am thinking of getting diagnosed for ADHD as my research has proven to me that I have it.
Can you share about the research that makes you think you have adhd?

I am very lightweight when it comes to taking medicine. I once took normal dosages of stimulants and it made me feel high and happy. It was only a one time thing but I don't want to always be "high" while I am on medicine for ADHD. I think this has to do with our increased patterns of synapses, which research has proven that we have more synapses than normal people. I say this because I took a very very low dosage of Concerta and I felt extremely high. This means I feel the medicine more. Will I react differently since I have autism?
Can you explain about the synapse?
When you say light weight, do you mean literally?

C15H25N3O
01-03-17, 07:53 AM
What effects do stimulants have on autistic people?

No specific effect like stimulants affect every ADHD brain different and ASD is much more
complex and much more difficult to treat (or actually untreatable) than ADHD. Stimulants can increase
autistic social anxiety and repetitive behaviour.

I am diagnosed with ADHD and ASD. I use micro-dosaged Vyvanse (amphetamine) and Sativex (cannabis spray).
I actually downgraded from 40mg Vyvanse to 5-10mg. I am very sensitive to all kinds of substances.
Did you know we have endocannabinoid receptors all over the body not only in our brains?

Fraser_0762
01-03-17, 08:02 AM
I have Aspergers (I still call it that, because the new system is stupid). I also have Dyspraxia which has a high connection rate with ADHD (Around 80% apparently).

I haven't taken stimulant medication since I was about 4 or 5. It's too far back for me to remember exactly how it effected me.

When you say you once took normal dosages of stimulants. What stimulants are you referring to? A medical stimulant prescribed for ADHD or a small dosage of street speed? You need to be more accurate in your description.

asalem
01-03-17, 05:34 PM
Can you share about the research that makes you think you have adhd?

Can you explain about the synapse?
When you say light weight, do you mean literally?

I have all the symptoms of ADHD. Cant focus. Easily distracted. Signs of Impulsiveness. Just yesterday my boss was talking to me for a few minutes N I drifted off to another world. He could have told me one of your family member died and I wouldn't have caught that.

Synapses are the connections that are made between neurons. Humans lose almost half of their synapses before adulthood but for us, we have a surplus in synapses because of a slowdown in the pruning process (process of removing synapses) during brain development.

I am skinny but I wasn't referring to my weight. I meant lightweight when it comes to medicine.

asalem
01-03-17, 05:37 PM
No specific effect like stimulants affect every ADHD brain different and ASD is much more
complex and much more difficult to treat (or actually untreatable) than ADHD. Stimulants can increase
autistic social anxiety and repetitive behaviour.

I am diagnosed with ADHD and ASD. I use micro-dosaged Vyvanse (amphetamine) and Sativex (cannabis spray).
I actually downgraded from 40mg Vyvanse to 5-10mg. I am very sensitive to all kinds of substances.
Did you know we have endocannabinoid receptors all over the body not only in our brains?

This is interesting. Is it common for ASD people to be sensitive to substances? I thought it was me but I had a feeling it was my ASD. How can stimulants increase our anxiety. I thought stimulants is supposed to make you happier.

asalem
01-03-17, 06:00 PM
I have Aspergers (I still call it that, because the new system is stupid). I also have Dyspraxia which has a high connection rate with ADHD (Around 80% apparently).

I haven't taken stimulant medication since I was about 4 or 5. It's too far back for me to remember exactly how it effected me.

When you say you once took normal dosages of stimulants. What stimulants are you referring to? A medical stimulant prescribed for ADHD or a small dosage of street speed? You need to be more accurate in your description.

I just mentioned the substance I took was Concerta, the prescription drug used to treat ADHD. One my friends who has ADHD gave me a small dosage.

C15H25N3O
01-04-17, 11:19 AM
This is interesting. Is it common for ASD people to be sensitive to substances? I thought it was me but I had a feeling it was my ASD. How can stimulants increase our anxiety. I thought stimulants is supposed to make you happier.

I dont know but I think ADHD would take 2 hands full of pills a day while ASD would reject any pill.

Anxiety is a neuro-chemical dysbalance which can be induced e.g. by overstimulation or sensory
overload from stimulants. Many people know this as a bad side effect of cannabis' THC which is a
heavy stimulant.

Neuro-science is in stone age. They have a small amount of artificial substances but there is a very
complex system in our brains communicating with the body. Treatment is trial and error and can make
damages and unabated neuro-chemical changes if you are substance-sensitive. If ASD really has more
synapses it could explain the sensitiveness to substances but I think it is also something about ASD
discrepancy of perception and there is no standard to enable brains function like drinking water against
being thirsty.