View Full Version : Shout for help....

timothywilsons
01-03-17, 09:43 AM
Hi All,

I fell across this forum whilst googling today. If the consensus is that I'm in the wrong place then please let me know. I'm just trying to work out what I'm likely to have, and if there are others in the same position as me. Knowing I'm not alone in being like this would help. I'm not good at brevity, but I'll try...

I'm in my early 40's and a pretty intelligent / bright guy. Exams and stuff never phased me, decent brain and better memory. About 10 years ago I crashed during a challenging sales job and got diagnosed with depression. I've had 3 "doses" and fought it via CBT and Fluoxetine (Prozac) - 20mg per day.

For the past 6 months I have really struggled to focus. I can't read anymore (I used to devour books) because if I read then I have forgotten it all by the end of the page and I start again. I can't study, as my memory has gone. I write notes to remind myself and forget where I have put the notes.

My eyes glaze over all the time, talking to people or watching TV. I love football, but within a week I've forgotten who played who or what my teams scoreline was. If I try and write an email at work then I will normally stop 5 or 6 times to do something else. I'll just randomly open a browser and then search for something random, or I'll log onto Ebay for no real purpose.

I am fairly short tempered these days. My "brain" is so busy, numbers / finances / share prices / dates all just running through my brain at such a speed. I can sleep for 8 hours or more and wake up shattered.

I have a new job now, managing people. In my previous role I could blag my way through. I am still fairly sharp and I'm fairly articulate, so I have been covering this for months. I bit the bullet this morning and booked a GP's appointment - 1 month from today is my first chance.

I just want some peace in my head, and the ability to focus again. I feel so stupid now compared to how I know I used to be.

Any thoughts....or am I in the wrong place?

Little Nut
01-03-17, 01:04 PM
Maybe. Much overlap between aspects of different disorders. For example, Mood Disorders and ADHD. Also, it is not uncommon for people to have more than 1 disorder at the same time.

I personally think the goal in your case is to get a good diagnosis. Unfortunately if you want to minimize the time to get a good diagnosis and in-turn minimize the time in receiving a good treatment, you have to do a lot of research/reading to prepare for your Doctor visits. I do/did this by pulling together a comprehensive list of symptoms, 2-3 specific examples when/where these symptoms occurred and what the specific negative impact to me is/was. From these symptoms you can find reference materials on possible disorders. Then along the way you will come across checklists used to help evaluate people for different disorders. (Try to stick to somewhat recent DSM or ICD criteria.) Then review the checklists with your list. (If like me, these checklists highlighted important symptoms that I had overlooked.) Add to your lists as appropriate, making sure to cite multiple specific examples (NOT SUPPOSITIONAL) of the symptoms occurring and the negative impact that occurrence had.

Polish the list, make a copy for your Doc and give it to him/her. Review list with your Doc and focus on just the symptoms. Let the Doc diagnose and provide you with the rationale to support the diagnosis. Once both in agreement, discuss any treatments and their alternatives.

Bear in mind this is just a start. HTH, -LN

Lunacie
01-03-17, 01:06 PM
Sometimes people with ADHD manage to develop good coping skills or have a
good support system and aren't really impaired by the disorder.

Then something stressful happens, like a new job where those skills don't help
as much and there isn't as much support, and the impairment becomes a problem.

This could be what happened to you. Seeing a doctor is a good thing to do.
Print out this post or take along a list of things that you're really struggling with,
since memory seems to be really impaired now.

Depression and anxiety are very common alongside ADHD, and adults are often
diagnosed with depression only, as it's only recently that research shows that
many adults have had ADHD all their lives and didn't actually "outgrow" it.

ginniebean
01-03-17, 06:26 PM
i second the need for a good psychiatrist. Depression and anxiety or mood disorders do share symptoms with adhd. you seem to haveh had such a radical shift in your ability to function that it is cause for concern.

please do feel free to get support here, the people are kind and have good advice. keep us posted

timothywilsons
01-04-17, 05:04 AM
I should also point out that catastrophizing and procrastinating at 2 things I seem to do all the time at the moment to the point of paralysing myself!!

Letching Gray
01-10-17, 05:06 AM
"For the past 6 months I have really struggled to focus. I can't read anymore (I used to devour books) because if I read then I have forgotten it all by the end of the page and I start again. I can't study, as my memory has gone. I write notes to remind myself and forget where I have put the notes.

My eyes glaze over all the time, talking to people or watching TV. I love football, but within a week I've forgotten who played who or what my teams scoreline was. If I try and write an email at work then I will normally stop 5 or 6 times to do something else. I'll just randomly open a browser and then search for something random, or I'll log onto Ebay for no real purpose.

I am fairly short tempered these days."

Don't want to press the panic button, yet I wonder if you've perhaps had a mild stroke?