View Full Version : Adding Clonazepam/Klonopin when taking Ritalin

GravityForGrace
01-03-17, 06:46 PM
I've been on Ritalin for a few months now. While it's helped with my attention and focus in remarkable ways, I'm anxious.

I've always been anxious and it's not gotten stronger since taking ritalin, which was something I was concerned about.

However, I go through periods when my anxiety gets greater. These past 2 weeks I've had a lot of unstructured time, which always ramps my anxiety up 200%. I was so anxious and keyed up the other day, a friend gave me a quarter pill of Clonazepam (.5mg). I don't like taking medication generally, but I was feeling very desperate, so I took it after checking that there were no negative interactions between it and ritalin.

It was amazing the difference. I don't think I've ever felt so settled.

I've been prescribed Lexapro before and it had no effect on me, no matter how high my psych upped my dose.

I would like to talk to my psychiatrist at our next appointment about possibly getting it to take on as "as needed" basis in a small dose for those times when my anxiety makes me completely nonfunctional.

However, I know that some docs are hesitant to prescribe benzos.

I also don't know if I should be upfront about trying Clonazepam. I don't want to be seen as irresponsible for taking a drug I wasn't prescribed, but it also worked so well I'm not sure I want to go through the long trial and error process of other medication.

Should I let my doc know, and hope he'll prescribe it to me?

Or should I just mentioned the exacerbated anxiety and let him prescribe me anything he thinks should help?