View Full Version : Raynauds, stimulants and winter

Greyhound1
01-04-17, 11:57 PM
Anyone else suffer from Raynauds syndrome or as the Mayo Clinic likes to call it Raynaud's Disease:rolleyes: and take stimulants?

This is my first winter on stimulants and I am freezing! We keep the heat on 68 degrees and I am always cold.

Inside, I wear 2 pairs of socks, underwear, long johns, jeans, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, long johns shirt, and two pull over hoody sweatshirts and my hands and feet are still cold.

It's a job just getting dressed in the morning. Anyone else struggle keeping warm most of the time in the winter?

Simargl
01-05-17, 12:16 AM
I was just diagnosed with Raynaud's. I'm in my apt with the heat on and wearing a hoodie.

The symptoms were pretty bad when I took Adderall. I just switched from Ritalin to Dex because everything was flaring up. I started having carpal tunnel like issues.

I wish I had some good advice but I'm still in the stage where I'm trying to figure everything out.

My bathroom has a heat lamp and that's been pretty helpful.

I've considered using a blow dryer on my hands a couple times but I'm afraid that would make it worse. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to offer.

Simargl
01-05-17, 12:18 AM
Have you ever had issues with your face getting numb? That one freaks me out the most.

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 12:21 AM
Have you ever had issues with your face getting numb? That one freaks me out the most.

Yep, the tip of my nose, cheeks and top of my ears will get numb. Usually, my hands first then feet then face.

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 12:26 AM
Having Raynaud's, I have always had issues in the winter but it was definitely more manageable before stimulants. I have the same issues on Dex and Adderall.

aeon
01-05-17, 03:57 AM
I've considered using a blow dryer on my hands a couple times but I'm afraid that would make it worse. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to offer.

Never do this, as it can lead to burns, and is bad for your skin in any case.

Warm water only for heating the paws.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
01-05-17, 08:22 AM
Fingerless gloves are nice also.

Unmanagable
01-05-17, 11:29 AM
I used to buy up all the old wool sweaters in the thrift shops that folks had washed in hot water or tossed in the dryer and accidentally "felted" and used the sleeves to make my own fingerless hand warmers.

Cut the sleeves off at the length you desire (or longer - you can always trim them later), then slide them on your hands and determine where you want your thumb hole, mark it somehow (sharpies work well, or just remember and do it immediately before you forget) and use scissors to make a very small hole. If you make it too big, you'll have to sew it back up, so remain mindful of that.

Many of the older ladies that were friends of the couple I was helping to provide respite care for at the time I was making them LOVED them and bought them up as quick as I could make them. They raved about how much better their typically cold achy hands felt when trying to sew, crochet, or whatever.

I also used the turtleneck part of the sweaters as knee warmers for arthritic knees, especially after applying the pain creams and such. And the rest of the sweater could be a good doggie sweater for doggies who are laid back and don't mind being made to wear stuff like that, or can be used to line or make doggie beds, or kitty beds. The leftovers could also come in very handy for making castor oil packs for various issues. I use castor oil rather frequently in my life nowadays. Good stuff.

I've never been diagnosed with Raynauds, but have been diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia and severe osteoarthritis and being cold is extremely painful for me. It's often equally painful just trying to get all those @#%*&! layers on to keep warm. Tropical islands with plenty sun, fresh clean water (if there's any left), and all the fruit I can eat sound sweeter each day.

aeon
01-05-17, 11:48 AM
I never understood, nor had use for, these things people call “fingerless gloves.”

If my fingers aren’t being insulated, there isn’t any point.

--

My boss has Raynaud’s. The idea of it plus vasoconstriction gives me the chills. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Unmanagable
01-05-17, 11:59 AM
I never understood, nor had use for, these things people call “fingerless gloves.”

--

My boss has Raynaud’s. The idea of it plus vasoconstriction gives me the chills. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Do you have issues with your hands being too cold and painful to do tasks you need to do? If so, how do you work around it when there's no warm water immediately available and the pain, nor the cold, isn't letting up? I first learned of them when working outside and needing to be able to use my fingers for intricate tasks that full gloves totally interfered with.

Simargl
01-05-17, 12:02 PM
Never do this, as it can lead to burns, and is bad for your skin in any case.

Warm water only for heating the paws.

Cheers,
Ian

Yeah, I was afraid of something like that which is why I never acted on the thought. Thanks for the confirmation. ;)

aeon
01-05-17, 12:10 PM
Do you have issues with your hands being too cold and painful to do tasks you need to do?

No, I have never had this. In my case, vasoconstriction from meds occurs in the fingers, not the hands.

I first learned of them when working outside and needing to be able to use my fingers for intricate tasks that full gloves totally interfered with.

I use gloves that allow for some degree of tasks...but intricate ones? No...those I simply do not do if and when it is cold below a certain point because I dare not chill my fingers.

My hands have never been the problem.

Cheers,
Ian

Simargl
01-05-17, 12:10 PM
I wonder if a hot water bottle would be helpful?

I just got into work and I can't feel my toes. I'm wearing the thickest merino socks I could find. >.>

I remember reading a recommendation for those little instant heat packs. I never remember to look for them when I'm at the store.

Unmanagable
01-05-17, 12:20 PM
I wonder if a hot water bottle would be helpful?

I just got into work and I can't feel my toes. I'm wearing the thickest merino socks I could find. >.>

I remember reading a recommendation for those little instant heat packs. I never remember to look for them when I'm at the store.

I used to also cut out shoe inserts from the leftover sweater wool. I took a bunch of those to the homeless shelter to share and they were very well received. I added them to my hiking boots, mostly. I typically wear two pairs of socks every day in the winter, and the inserts provided a noticeable improvement, indoors and out.

stef
01-05-17, 12:21 PM

--

Cheers,
Ian

excellent for playing trumpet outdoors in the fall, great for errands when it's above freezing, but otherwise...

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, my fingers and hands are still freezing whether I wear gloves with fingers or not. I could wear 5 pairs and still have cold hands.

It really comes down to raising to my core temp. before my hands will warm. Hands don't get warm until my heart decides to send some blood their way.

It's weird but anxiety can also affect my Raynaud's. It makes me even more susceptible to it and even harder to get warm. I can be layered in clothes and even sweat in some areas of my body while my hands and feet still feel like ice.

Unmanagable
01-05-17, 12:27 PM
What are some ways you use to quickly raise your core temp, gh? I find the mini-trampoline to be my quickest morning warm-up. If I skip it, I feel like an ice cube until I get my warm herbal infusions pumping through my veins, and even then, I still need a whole load of laundry to keep warm. If/when I add the mini-tramp sessions throughout my day, I can sometimes shed a couple layers while indoors.

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 12:34 PM
What are some ways you use to quickly raise your core temp, gh? I find the mini-trampoline to be my quickest morning warm-up. If I skip it, I feel like an ice cube until I get my warm herbal infusions pumping through my veins, and even then, I still need a whole load of laundry to keep warm. If/when I add the mini-tramp sessions throughout my day, I can sometimes shed a couple layers while indoors.

A hot shower is my favorite way because it works the quickest for me. Exercise works well too.:)

aeon
01-05-17, 12:45 PM
Just a reminder...if you want to retain heat, cotton is awful, because it saturates and becomes a radiator of sorts, such that you lose your heat.

Wool will wick away moisture, but not saturate, and it will maintain warm air, and is an excellent choice for cold weather (and in the right weave and spin, hot weather too!).

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
01-05-17, 12:46 PM
A hot shower is my favorite way because it works the quickest for me.

That plus a fishbowl of hot java, ooh baby! :yes:

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 12:55 PM
Just a reminder...if you want to retain heat, cotton is awful, because it saturates and becomes a radiator of sorts, such that you lose your heat.

Wool will wick away moisture, but not saturate, and it will maintain warm air, and is an excellent choice for cold weather (and in the right weave and spin, hot weather too!).

Cheers,
Ian

I wish, I could tolerate wool better. It causes me all kinds of sensory issues. I itch like a hound with fleas and usually break out with a rash.

I can wear 3 cotton long sleeve shirts and put on a wool sweater over them and it still bothers me to no end.:(

aeon
01-05-17, 01:04 PM
I wish, I could tolerate wool better. It causes me all kinds of sensory issues. I itch like a hound with fleas and usually break out with a rash.

I can wear 3 cotton long sleeve shirts and put on a wool sweater over them and it still bothers me to no end.:(

Perhaps a merino wool with a rating of 10 microns or under?

Or better yet, just go for cashmere. :)

I used to have the same issues with wool, but found they disappeared when I got wool that was under 10 microns.

And for sure, I love cashmere! ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 01:33 PM
Perhaps a merino wool with a rating of 10 microns or under?

Or better yet, just go for cashmere. :)

I used to have the same issues with wool, but found they disappeared when I got wool that was under 10 microns.

And for sure, I love cashmere! ;)

Cheers,
Ian

I have avoided wool for so many years. I seriously, doubt I have ever tried merino wool under 10 microns. I am probably too cheap to buy much cashmere. Thanks for the suggestions!

Unmanagable
01-05-17, 01:36 PM
That's why thrift shop options are worth considering. No painful price tag to have to try to navigate, yet you can still find higher quality goods.

aeon
01-05-17, 01:45 PM
I have avoided wool for so many years. I seriously, doubt I have ever tried merino wool under 10 microns. I am probably too cheap to buy much cashmere. Thanks for the suggestions!

That’s why I only own cashmere socks, and have a wool blanket.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
01-05-17, 01:49 PM
I'm BIG into wool and cashmere.

It is -7 right now.

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 02:37 PM
I hate Raynaud's! We are moving back to Florida as soon as we can. The past few months have been miserable. My wife is down there now and it's 80 degrees. I am so jealous.:(

Greyhound1
01-05-17, 08:08 PM
Expressing my thoughts on this thread has helped to motivate me. I called the owner of my past employer in Florida today and told him I was ready to come back.

He was glad to hear from me and said he would consult with his management team and work out some position options. There may have to be some logistics to work out shuffling people around but I am excited.

I will hear back next week with some options.:yes:

I am quite proud of myself right now for a change.:)

Simargl
01-06-17, 06:26 PM
My face feels like it's burning and my hands are currently bright red, hot and slightly swollen. This is the most noticeable occurrence of something like this. Does anyone else experience this with Raynaud's?

Did this happen because I allowed myself to remain cold for too long? I honestly didn't even notice. I've been wearing a hoodie and fingerless gloves for most of the day while at work.

Greyhound1
01-06-17, 06:51 PM
My face feels like it's burning and my hands are currently bright red, hot and slightly swollen. This is the most noticeable occurrence of something like this. Does anyone else experience this with Raynaud's?

Did this happen because I allowed myself to remain cold for too long? I honestly didn't even notice. I've been wearing a hoodie and fingerless gloves for most of the day while at work.

I have experienced that usually from too much exposure to cold outside. Especially, if it's windy. Cheeks will feel cold outside and turn red. When they start to warm up, they can feel hot along with a feeling of getting poked with needles.

Simargl
01-06-17, 07:25 PM
I have experienced that usually from too much exposure to cold outside. Especially, if it's windy. Cheeks will feel cold outside and turn red. When they start to warm up, they can feel hot along with a feeling of getting poked with needles.

Yeah, that makes sense. :l I haven't left the building today but it has been too cold in the office-- everyone is feeling it. The redness has gone down some but I'm still feeling warm and flushed aside from the very tip of my fingers which are ice cold. Bah.

Little Missy
01-06-17, 07:27 PM
oooo...and here I am with a giant raised up heat rash on my face but nowhere else.

Simargl
01-06-17, 08:03 PM
Expressing my thoughts on this thread has helped to motivate me. I called the owner of my past employer in Florida today and told him I was ready to come back.

He was glad to hear from me and said he would consult with his management team and work out some position options. There may have to be some logistics to work out shuffling people around but I am excited.

I will hear back next week with some options.:yes:

I am quite proud of myself right now for a change.:)

This is pretty awesome. Congrats on starting the process. (:

Most of my family lives in Florida but I still haven't visited the state. I think I'll make a point to plan my trip in the winter months next year. XD

Simargl
01-06-17, 08:05 PM
oooo...and here I am with a giant raised up heat rash on my face but nowhere else.

Gah, that sounds painful. :0

Greyhound1
01-06-17, 08:55 PM
This is pretty awesome. Congrats on starting the process. (:

Most of my family lives in Florida but I still haven't visited the state. I think I'll make a point to plan my trip in the winter months next year. XD

Thank you! I almost forget, I have Raynauds there. :) You should visit them. The weather is extremely Raynauds friendly.:)