View Full Version : Adderall vs. Ritalin

22franzs
01-05-17, 12:51 AM
I have been on generic Ritalin for about two years, but I was just curious as to how different you feel on Adderall (if you feel any different at all). I was originally prescribed Adderall but my crappy insurance wouldn't cover it. Is there a noticeable difference in how one makes you feel? Which has been most effective for you?

ToneTone
01-05-17, 12:48 PM
Totally depends on the individual ... I know that's not satisfying ... But it's all trial and error. But yes, for me, the effect is different. Concerta (my version of Ritalin) gave me a ton of energy and motivation ... Vyvanse helped me a lot more with planning and thinking ... And Adderall is a mix of the two: motivation and some clear thinking.

But that's not the case for everyone. You can tell your doctor exactly what you say here, that you are wondering if there is something better for you ... The doc will then most likely ask you to talk about what you don't like about Ritalin and areas where you think you can improve your focus ...

Good luck.

Tone

AddAnxiousMe
01-06-17, 05:55 AM
I like Dexedrine over Adderall. Never tried methylphenidate (Ritalin). Original amphetamine was an even mix of levo-amp and dextro-amp. The dextroamphetamine is the clinically active part (works more in the brain)of the mix than levoamphetamine. The levo-amp portion causes more physical side effects, like high BP and HR, nervousness,etc. But after cleaning up amphetamine by introducing pure dextro-amp (Dexedrine), they come out with Adderall that is 75% dextro and 25% levo. That 25% readdition of levoamphetamine was enough to make me feel more nervous and agitated. Some people say it gives them more needed physical energy, so I guess it benefits some. I even asked my doctor why they came out with Adderall if Dexedrine was already just as effective? He told me straight out: Money! Dexedrine was off patent and cheaper. But in reality, Dexedrine and Adderall are very similar. In fact, my first two prescriptions for dextroamphetamine were filled with generic Adderall. I didn't notice until I saw the small print that said "dispense for Adderall". Seems the pharmacist took it upon himself to fill it with whatever he had. That, or he didn't look closely enough. What did I know? it had amphetamine salts written on the bottle:rolleyes:. I told my doctor and he made sure the RX was written in such a way as to not be mistaken again. Anyway, because of widespread use Adderall is much more popular than Dexedrine. So if you went with Dexedrine it would almost certainly have to be ordered by the pharmacy. But if you did okay on the Adderall, then I would stick with that. But if you feel a little too nervous, have palpitations, etc., don't forget Dexedrine; it can make a lot of difference.
Take care:).

Little Nut
01-06-17, 01:41 PM
I have been on generic Ritalin for about two years, but I was just curious as to how different you feel on Adderall (if you feel any different at all). I was originally prescribed Adderall but my crappy insurance wouldn't cover it. Is there a noticeable difference in how one makes you feel? Which has been most effective for you?

Like everyone says, at the doses most people take there is much variability from one person to another. What this means to which med, at what dose, and how often to take it, it is a trial and error process for each individual. Then if you can't get the drug to acceptably treat you, you try another drug. So Franzs, how well does the ritalin treat your symptoms, which symptoms are still a problem, which symptoms were completely untreated, what side effects are there, and do you need to try different dosing regimens? -LN

ohlookakitty
01-06-17, 03:08 PM
I went into depression & thoughts of suicide with Adderall XR whenever it starts to wear off. I was on Concerta 27mg for about eight months before I stopped (didn't like not being able to enjoy food and feeling like a robot). I stopped taking Adderall XR within few days. It was bad. I still cannot come to grips how sad I was and wanted to just end my life for no reason. I was crying while driving home...

aeon
01-06-17, 04:41 PM
I’ve been prescribed methylphenidate (Ritalin ER/Concerta), dexmethylphenidate (Focalin IR), and dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine CR) for extended timeframes, but never mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall).

Both methylphenidate and dexmethylphenidate gave me the distinct feeling/impression that I had taken a drug, which of course I had...but I mean in a distinct alteration by external means way. I only feel the need to say this because...

I do not get that feeling, not in the same way anyway, with dextroamphetamine. I definitely feel different, but not in a way that feels foreign to my body.

Both methylphenidate and dexmethylphenidate gave me a degree of focus that was somewhat over the top, in that I was some combination of bird of prey and automaton. This was more or less good depending on the situation.

Dextroamphetamine also gives me focus, but I don’t feel like I have scanning lasers emitting from my eyes that are burning things.

Both methylphenidate and dexmethylphenidate cause anxiety, and in methylphenidate’s case, anxiety was the reason I had to cease taking it.

Dextroamphetamine, by contrast, tends to calm me down.

I found methylphenidate and dexmethylphenidate to both be slightly more motivating to physical activity than dextroamphetamine.

---

For me, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine CR) has proven to be golden, and I have been on it for years now. I have had no issues with tolerance, or any other problems (except the cost!).

If I could not get Dex, I would take Focalin again without a problem, but would avoid Ritalin/Concerta if I could.

Cheers,
Ian

cwf1986
01-06-17, 04:53 PM
My ritalin experience goes way to early childhood so it may effect me differently now that I'm an adult so take what I say with a grain of salt. I remember feeling a bit like a zombie or robot while taking ritalin. It also had a bad crash that left me useless after it wore off.

In late elementary, I got switched to adderall and it gave me the same benefits but left me feeling much more myself and the crash wasn't as harsh.

Fast forward to many months ago, I switched from adderall to vyvanse. No crash, no anxiety, but it wasn't very motivating, didn't help much with conscientiousness, and didn't get me moving and getting things done so I switched back to the adderall since the vyvanse wasn't doing the things most important for me. The vyvanse just left me wanting to chill out and lounge all day.

ToneTone
01-10-17, 12:22 AM
CWF,

So interesting ... I came off of Vyvanse last year ... because I felt it made me antisocial ... it helped me do long-term and big-picture planning ... for sure ... But I didn't want to interact at all with people ... and I naturally tend towards isolation, so that withdrawal wasn't good for me ... Like you, I have much more get-up-and-go on Adderall.

Tone

cwf1986
01-10-17, 05:28 AM
It's actually pretty common to have more of that get up and go with adderall vs other stimulants.

Adderall is a quarter levo-amphetamine and 3 quarters dextro-amphetamine. Dexedrine is all dextro-amphetamine and vyvanse gets converted to that in the bloodstream.

The levo-amphetamine isn't as potent, but it does have a higher norepinephrine to dopamine reuptake inhibition and release ratio. The release of the NE theoretically gives more of that getting up and getting things done effect.

It can also cause more sides like high blood pressure, headaches, cold extremities, sweating, and agitation and/or anxiety.

Jenn1202
01-17-17, 01:24 AM
Adderall is more effective for me but the side effects I was getting from it were significantly worse.

Adderall:
Lots of motivation to get things done
Increased focus
My thinking is more organized
Ability to do boring chores including cleaning
Happiness
Feeling slightly high around the time it kicks in (I absolutely hated this feeling!)
Kick
Horrible side effects

Ritalin:
Some motivation to get things done
Increased focus
Limited ability to get boring things done, but it still helps stick to the task and get started
Zombie/robot-like feeling
Kick
Bad side effects (not nearly as bad as the side effects I had on Adderall)

Dexedrine:
Very little motivation to get started on things (Dex gives you very little motivation to get started)
Increased focus
Limited ability to do boring chores including cleaning. It helps me stick to the task, but getting started is a battle.
No kick
Fewer side effects