View Full Version : Can some ADHDers play/mess with your head?

marygates
01-07-17, 05:01 PM
I was wondering if some adult adhders can mess with your head sometimes unintentionally?,

I am a Non ADHDER trying to get educated, my bf has ADHD.

But I wonder if this is a common trait? or does it happen.plz explain!.

33Forward
01-07-17, 05:33 PM
I think for a real answer, you need to be more specific.
"How" does he "mess" with your head exactly? What behavior is going on? We need more information to accurately answer your question.

Obviously, ADHD can have a negative impact on relationships, and partners find it tough to deal with some of the hurdles that ADHD gives us. What may seem obvious and intentional to you, he may be completely unaware that anything is wrong.

marygates
01-07-17, 05:44 PM
I think for a real answer, you need to be more specific.
"How" does he "mess" with your head exactly? What behavior is going on? We need more information to accurately answer your question.

Obviously, ADHD can have a negative impact on relationships, and partners find it tough to deal with some of the hurdles that ADHD gives us. What may seem obvious and intentional to you, he may be completely unaware that anything is wrong.

I meant to tease you or make you believe things that are not true, play with your brain.whether is rude or not.

john2100
01-07-17, 06:09 PM
Is he aware that things he is making you believe are not true?

If he is , then that kind of behavior is just a character trait probably with equal distribution among adhd and non -adhd.

If he is not aware that he is teasing you , that would be a bigger problem, but that would depend on a specific information he is making you to believe. He may just be misinformed .

Could you give some specific examples of unintentional messing with your head?
How long have you known each each for?

Little Missy
01-07-17, 06:12 PM
No, but your questions sound like you are messing around on here.

33Forward
01-07-17, 06:55 PM
I meant to tease you or make you believe things that are not true, play with your brain.whether is rude or not.

Teasing is normal. In fact, I don't tease people I don't like. Its just one of those guy-girl interactions thats a natural part of getting to know someone, and isn't an ADHD specific thing. You can playfully "poke fun" at each other, as long as you both understand that its not meant to be disrespectful.

I don't think ADHDers mean to be rude. Sometimes, the words escape our mouth before the brain to mouth filter catches it. It can be tough to control for some people. Its part of the executive function problem, where we see only what is going on right now... not the implications or results that may happen later. If you confront him, and tell him that what he said was rude, or hurtful, does he apologize? We often blurt out things we wish we hadn't said, but we also recognize that it was insensitive after it was said, and we say we're sorry. It does happen, and yes, it is a part of ADHD that isn't one of the better traits. If he doesn't apologize, or feel bad about things he is saying to you, especially if you've made it clear that it was rude, then that is just him being disrespectful. And if he treats you like this on purpose, and continues to, even after being told that you don't appreciate his words, then ADHD or not... he is just being mean to you, and you shouldn't have to deal with that.
Just because we have ADHD, doesn't give us a free pass on being a hurtful human being.

Little Nut
01-07-17, 10:31 PM
Mary, having trouble following your OP. Can you site 4-5 specific examples and add your questions to the appropriate example. TIA, -LN

Fuzzy12
01-08-17, 04:49 AM
Yes of course some can though if it's got anything to do with their adhd is impossible to say without any further details.