View Full Version : Can Generalized Anxiety Disorder be sort of like ADD?

sybil
01-08-17, 10:36 PM
I've been diagnosed with GAD, and my psychiatrist thinks I have ADD but sometimes I think it's just GAD that is causing all the symptoms I have.

I've been through therapy for a long time for my anxiety but honestly that doesn't help. I do take Pristiq and Abilify for PMDD symptoms but that does not do anything to help me be less of a worrier.

Kdawg1
02-12-17, 02:44 AM
Hello, I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm also wondering if my ADD is GAD. I hope someone can explain any difference as they both are very similar. I will try to search more on here. I'm takindg dextroamphetamine and I really want to stop using the drug, the long term affects are somthing I dont want to deal with, the dextroamphetamine helps with the anxiety and worrying. But sometimes I will get a really bad anxiety attack and freak out. If a supervisor saw I would be fired

dvdnvwls
02-12-17, 03:29 AM
I think one effective way you can learn about the differences is to read Taking Charge of Adult ADHD by Russell Barkley. It's a simple book to read, and gives a very clear picture of what it's like to really have ADHD, including the official criteria for diagnosis. in the back of the book is a long list of odd characteristics (not diagnostic information, just quirks etc) that people with ADHD very often share, in case you feel unsure after reading the official stuff.

adhbee
03-05-17, 01:07 PM
It feels like a chicken-egg problem to me. :( I have some form of anxiety (probably generalized), and it's hard to know if that causes ADHD symptoms, or if ADHD causes anxiety. I've seen different therapists on and off for a few years for the anxiety but it's still a struggle.

yerigt
06-01-17, 08:03 PM
Hello, I've been diagnosed with GAD but I've always thought they just don't get that I am more like a emotionally sad/sometimes anxious/therefore frustrated person, because of certain existential reasons (like any human) in combination with a sensitive mind and nervous system such as adhd/hsp which complicates the emotional and practical life through a lot of things. But existential psychiatrists that understands how it is to be sensitive etc and how it is related to neuropsychiatry and neuroreceptors are very rare.