View Full Version : in process of being diagnosed / is this adhd symptom?

bajick
01-12-17, 11:31 PM
hi all,

i've come to realize in the past few months that i may have adhd. the funny thing is that i always knew something was wrong or different about me but thought that i just had trouble controlling it, and chalked it up to anxiety. i suffered for a long time because i felt very very down about myself and "couldn't control my thoughts." i thought i was weak. i just day dream and zone out A LOT and thought this was normal and everyone did it too. like i would just start thinking about something else someone said or hobbies or anxieties i had while something else was going on. i always knew i was slow too, and had to be creative to achieve more. i had to attack problems from a way that didn't make a lot of sense for people, especially during school.

i am currently in the process of getting diagnosed for something. i have no idea if it's ADHD yet of course.

my results came back for WAIS that i have a very high verbal iq and very low processing speed and memory. and i know there are no tests for ADHD, but i am very worried that something is wrong. because my psychologist did not say anything i started to worry that i have some sort of severe memory problem.

i'm wondering why my psychologist isn't saying anything. he says that i have very bad anxiety, low self esteem, and that i'm horrible at making decisions but i'm worried that he will say next time that i have permanent brain damage or something. i'm quite nervous.

so i have two questions.
1. i'm wondering if this a symptom of adhd: that when something else is going on your brain automatically switches on to something else. it doesn't always feel like zoning out. sometimes it feels like there are 3 TVs on in my head and i can't turn them off.

2. i'm wondering why my psychologist isn't saying anything and also wondering if you've had this experience. i feel very ashamed of my test results and tried to ask what was going on but he seemed to not know or not to hint at anything.

ginniebean
01-13-17, 01:26 AM
1. yes that very much is a part of adhd

2. Tell your psychologist you need him to be more forthcoming with what's going on, and it's starting to impact your trust.

sarahsweets
01-13-17, 06:57 AM
my results came back for WAIS that i have a very high verbal iq and very low processing speed and memory. and i know there are no tests for ADHD, but i am very worried that something is wrong. because my psychologist did not say anything i started to worry that i have some sort of severe memory problem.

Its important to note that there are no tests for adhd. There are tests that rule out other things but doing poorly or well on something like the WAIS doesnt confirm or rule out adhd.

i'm wondering why my psychologist isn't saying anything. he says that i have very bad anxiety, low self esteem, and that i'm horrible at making decisions but i'm worried that he will say next time that i have permanent brain damage or something. i'm quite nervous.

I would point blank ask about the results and if they indicate something. The psychologist may have overlooked them, or may not be educated enough about adhd and assume the results rule it out.

so i have two questions.
1. i'm wondering if this a symptom of adhd: that when something else is going on your brain automatically switches on to something else. it doesn't always feel like zoning out. sometimes it feels like there are 3 TVs on in my head and i can't turn them off.

2. i'm wondering why my psychologist isn't saying anything and also wondering if you've had this experience. i feel very ashamed of my test results and tried to ask what was going on but he seemed to not know or not to hint at anything.
The switching task thing can be adhd-but those results of yours could skew this one way or the other. On one hand, you dont want to be diagnosed with something you dont have but on the other hand you dont want your symptoms ignored because of good results.

Letching Gray
01-13-17, 09:13 AM
On line you can find published suggested diagnostic criteria in the form of questions for adult ADHD. Answering them on your own may offer some insight.

Excellent advice in the previous 2 responses. Getting an accurate diagnosis is critical, so keep asking questions and keep pursuing answers until you're confident you've got one.

bajick
01-13-17, 12:54 PM
thank you so much. i will keep everyone updated and make sure to ask my psychologist if the results indicate anything.