View Full Version : Natural Product-Derived Treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Safe

Rockafella83
01-13-17, 02:32 PM
Hi, I'm tired of this whole debate as "what are alternative approachs ? Do they work ? Is it a complementory approach or a treatment itself ?". Again, has everyone as their own individual biology, it's hard to tell what work for one and don't for another.

To my opinion, they are no miracle for most of us but I'm a "open-mind" person so let's get a overview of "potential agents".

That said, I'm not saying they work or not, but I certainly want to point out that science in a work in progress and we should, at least make space for alternative approach.

So here's a great article about it, make your own conclusion !

Natural Product-Derived Treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Safety, Efficacy, and Therapeutic Potential of Combination Therapy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4757677/

sarahsweets
01-13-17, 07:17 PM
Conclusion
There are a number of available treatment options for ADHD; however, some of them may pose risks to patients [10]. The botanical agents discussed in this study appear to be promising ADHD treatments considering their therapeutic effects and negligible negative side effects. Nevertheless, it has to be noted that ADHD is a complex disorder having multiple causes and, thus, the use of natural product-derived treatments alone may not sufficiently affect consistent change in ADHD symptoms (see [76]). As mentioned previously, more pronounced clinical benefit may be achieved by employing a multimodal treatment approach such as combination therapy of different botanical agents and/or micronutrients, botanical agents and conventional pharmacological treatments, and also behavioral therapy.

Although the use of natural medications for ADHD has been considered as a “safer” approach, natural products are still far from being called as standard ADHD treatments due to the lack of comprehensive and appropriately controlled clinical studies that interrogate both their efficacy and safety. Moreover, it is challenging to compare efficacy profiles of herb therapy with conventional pharmacological ADHD treatments, mainly because herbal preparations are not standardized, and question regarding their purity, reliability, safety, and toxicity profiles will always arise [58]. Therefore, using pure medications with known doses, described mechanisms of action, and adverse effects profiles is preferable with regard to the use of natural product-derived ADHD treatments

Rockafella83
01-13-17, 10:45 PM
So ? Still exactly what I try to expose within this concept of what is a multiple therapeutic approach on how people could or want to manage the condition and taking care of their symptoms. But you know what, from now on I won't use the word "Alternative", I'll use instead "complementary", "adjunctive strategies" for those "sensible ears".

From what I wrote earlier in the "Sticky" header concerning supplements;

For those who need sources... A great article. Don't get fooled, they are, to my opinion, a complementary approach or a Mutli-Modal approach but for most of us, they are no miracles.

I'm not trying to say they don't work, all I want to point is ADHD is pretty complex and is closely related to every one of us in all our individual complexity. That said, the way you want to manage your symptoms is a personal approach which is, to me, a "legitime defense" so I won't argue that anyone should or should not take that in consideration..

Rockafella83
01-13-17, 11:24 PM
Ah yeah, the last part of the conclusion..

The findings from recent, albeit few, studies which
evaluated efficacy of adjunct therapy of botanical agents
and nutritional supplements with a pharmacological ADHD
treatment or another botanical agent suggest that combina-
tion therapy may be a promising approach in ADHD treat-
ment. Nevertheless, positive findings from above-mentioned
studies need to be replicated, and evidence for long-term
effectiveness and safety should be aptly demonstrated. Effi-
cacy of combining other botanical agents with pharma-
cological agents including other medications aside from
methylphenidate (e.g., atomoxetine, guanfacine, and cloni-
dine) or with behavioral therapy should also be explored
in future studies. As herbs usually contain more than
one psychoactive substance and may have additive or
interactive effects with the combined treatment, the risk-
benefit balance of natural product-derived ADHD treatments
should be carefully considered when combined with othe medication.

sarahsweets
01-14-17, 05:17 AM
I was just trying to post some of the conclusion in case people didnt want to read the whole thing.

Wuvmy3kitties
02-12-17, 08:54 AM
Have there been any studies done on the effectiveness of these supplements in adults?

I am taking a multivitamin supplement along with Celexa 40 mg. and was wondering if, those alone were enough. The supplement has magnesium, vitamins D3, K, B2 and B6 along with a few others.

dvdnvwls
02-12-17, 12:07 PM
I am taking a multivitamin supplement along with Celexa 40 mg. and was wondering if, those alone were enough.
Enough for what?

Enough to be a treatment for ADHD? Definitely not.

Enough to treat depression in some people? Yes.

Fraser_0762
02-12-17, 12:33 PM
Multivitamins won't treat depression either, unless it was never depression in the first place and merely a vitamin deficiency.

A lot of people who think they're suffering from depression, are either starving their body of much needed vitamins and minerals, or are consuming too much of something that their body has an intolerance to, such as gluten, or artifical sweeteners.

dvdnvwls
02-12-17, 12:53 PM
Multivitamins won't treat depression either, ...
No, but Celexa might.

Wuvmy3kitties
02-12-17, 03:06 PM
Enough for what?

Enough to be a treatment for ADHD? Definitely not.

Enough to treat depression in some people? Yes.

OK then, what other supplements or foods can you suggest to help with ADHD? I've had depression since I was about 10. My dad had it, and I believe he may have had ADD since he always had trouble focusing and remembering.

Multivitamins won't treat depression either, unless it was never depression in the first place and merely a vitamin deficiency.

A lot of people who think they're suffering from depression, are either starving their body of much needed vitamins and minerals, or are consuming too much of something that their body has an intolerance to, such as gluten, or artifical sweeteners.

See what I wrote above.

dvdnvwls
02-12-17, 05:04 PM
OK then, what other supplements or foods can you suggest to help with ADHD?
Real ADHD medication.

Other than that? Everything else is barely even worth mentioning. Healthy diet and exercise every day, but you knew that. Fish oil helps some people but for most the difference is minimal.