View Full Version : Strattera users, with ADHD type do you have?

ToInfinity
01-13-17, 11:19 PM
Wondering for those whom Strattera have been working, what subtype do you have?

p.s. I have inattentive ADHD and am looking to try it out.

namazu
01-14-17, 12:06 AM
For what it's worth, DSM-5 (most recent edition of the diagnostic manual used widely) has done away with subtypes of ADHD. It's just ADHD now, with different presentations that aren't assumed to be fixed over time.

In terms of what symptoms it treated, I found that Strattera helped me more with task initiation and follow-through than other medications had. It didn't help me much with sitting down and getting work done, but I could manage my daily life better.

It took a while to work -- and I had to take a higher dose. I found that the stomach upset was manageable with divided doses and being sure I had a decent-sized, high-protein breakfast.

A combination of Strattera and Concerta worked better for me than anything else ever had or has since. That may be in part because I'd been off stimulants for months before re-introducing the Concerta...

However, for me, Strattera also increased my blood pressure, so I had to stop taking it.

finallyfound10
01-14-17, 05:59 PM
I have Inattentive and don't like the way it is now in the DSM. I did the starter pack starting at 20mg/day and titrating up to 80mg/day over a month. It helped with initiating things and seemed life my depression somewhat.

ToInfinity
01-14-17, 11:56 PM
I have Inattentive and don't like the way it is now in the DSM. I did the starter pack starting at 20mg/day and titrating up to 80mg/day over a month. It helped with initiating things and seemed life my depression somewhat.

I'm sorry what do you mean?

jman05
01-22-17, 12:03 PM
I'm inattentive and tried everything. Vyvanese worked for about 3 months and then made things work. Strattera is the only thing that helps me. It saved my professional life.

finallyfound10
01-26-17, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry what do you mean?

I don't like the way the DSM- V has changed how ADHD is classified.

I was given a starter pack that lasts one month starting at 20mg/day then titrating to 80 mg/day then be on 80 mg/day going forward.

John E
03-20-17, 02:35 PM
Inattentive. Been taking Strattera for about 13 years. Started on 10mg and am now at 40mg. Lots of benefits and few, if any, side-effects. Clears head fog, helps with being present in the moment, improves overall mood and resilience, better sleep. I have not noticed a reduction in creative (free association) type thinking. But am able to do it, while also staying aware of my surroundings (not loosing track of time for example). I'm able to hang on to my thoughts much longer. I don't feel like I have to spit my thoughts out in real time (constantly interupting people) for fear that I'll forget them in 10 seconds. All this leads to overall lower anxiety.

Having said all that, the effects dull over time. Hence the dosage increase over time. The side effects may become more prominent at higher dosages.