View Full Version : My sons medication?

Cobywh
01-14-17, 12:11 AM
My son was diagnosed with add at age five he is nine now. He was on Daytrana 15mg and having a huge crash after school. He was switched to Metidate cd 10mg in the middle of September since then he has had a considerable weight gain 15 lbs. I get him two nights a week I pick him up on Fridays from school. Since on the new medicine he has no appetite and is very active and still the weight gain. My ex wife insists that he goes off his medicine on the weekends. By the next morning he acts like he's starving and could eat all day I feed him very healthy protein fruits vegetables cheese ect. Anyone have any suggestions? TIA

Pilgrim
01-14-17, 03:34 AM
Is he at an unhealthy weight now?

sarahsweets
01-14-17, 05:37 AM
Are you suggesting that the other parent is not supposed to give medication all of the time and that his weight gain is a result of med breaks?

Cobywh
01-14-17, 12:33 PM
He is 55 inches and Weighs 91 lbs. I was trying to get as much info out there as possible. Was wondering if I should look at other medications or maybe look into health concerns?

ToneTone
01-15-17, 11:21 AM
First step: tell the doctor ... Get a quick appointment or put in an urgent phone call ... give the doctor that information ... you want to make sure there isn't anything else going on ....

Then let the doctor come up with an adjustment with you weighing in on this.

Your job is to have as many details and specifics of your son's condition ready to share with the doctor. That's the data that the doctor needs to make a good recommendation.

That much weight gain, definitely important to report.

Good luck.

Tone

dvdnvwls
01-15-17, 12:48 PM
Are you suggesting that the other parent is not supposed to give medication all of the time and that his weight gain is a result of med breaks?
(It sounds to me like the OP's ex is the one who planned the med breaks, and the OP doesn't necessarily approve.)

Cobywh
01-15-17, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. Yes have been in contact with the dr.he says not a big deal as to be expected.. Needles to say getting a second opinion his week. And dvdnvwls That is correct I pick him up on Friday after school he goes off and by Saturday morning he is a bottomless pit even eating very healthy he's gained 15 pounds since sept. I'm afraid the going off on the weekends he's suffering withdrawal and eating to suffice. But as well wondering if it's just his reaction to the drug causing the weight gain. With the way he is fed was the me two days a week there is no way that he can understand gain that amount of weight. Today alone he burned 2800 calories that's how active we are those two days I have him.

Caco3girl
01-17-17, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the responses. Yes have been in contact with the dr.he says not a big deal as to be expected.. Needles to say getting a second opinion his week. And dvdnvwls That is correct I pick him up on Friday after school he goes off and by Saturday morning he is a bottomless pit even eating very healthy he's gained 15 pounds since sept. I'm afraid the going off on the weekends he's suffering withdrawal and eating to suffice. But as well wondering if it's just his reaction to the drug causing the weight gain. With the way he is fed was the me two days a week there is no way that he can understand gain that amount of weight. Today alone he burned 2800 calories that's how active we are those two days I have him.

I get that you are concerned. You are trying to be a good dad and want to be involved in the care taking of your son. Speaking as the mom of a 14 year old who has always been VERY active, and a parent who has done the shared custody dance, I am telling you to calm down and ride it out.

I don't typically give my son his meds on the weekends or breaks from school. That is actually a normal thing and yes he eats like a horse when he is off them. He also ate like a horse when he was about to grow, which started in earnest around age 9. He would get a layer of baby fat all over, he actually looked like he had breasts at one point and then POOF he would shoot up, and slim out. He was around 5'0 and 130 pounds, yet active. Now at 14 he is 6'0 and 160#'s and considered on the thin side.

Ride it out man...see where it goes. Make your notes, talk to the doctor if you want, but ride it out.

sarahsweets
01-17-17, 12:30 PM
Also, as long as hes eating nutrient dense more-bang-for-your-buck foods and not junk, I dont really see a problem with it.