View Full Version : From my blog: What Do I Do With My Life

ADHD Chic
01-14-17, 02:21 AM
Hi,

This is my first time posting in this forum. I copied and pasted some ideas, as to why sometimes it's hard for us to find the right job or job. I read one thread where someone is considering disability. I understand, several years ago, I thought about applying for disability.

As a person with ADHD, I decided to help others, who ask “What do I do with my life?” by getting them to understand what pulls their passion and intellect. As a little girl, I remember my grandpa saying, “If you love what you do, you will never work a day of your life,” as I climbed on the items, I placed on a chair because I was wanted to reach the cookie jar above the refrigerator.

First, we need to know our strengths, interests, and passions. We are intricate people with different pieces to the AD/HD condition with changing degrees. ADHD is individual because of the combined subtypes creating different skill sets and challenges for each ADHD person. It is where you thrive and struggle. No two ADHD people operate the same way. The right job depends on you.

Finding the right job is a big deal. Oh look! A ball with blinking lights. Everyone has something to bring to the world. For most adult ADHD, we are stuck with the mentality “I can’t” because we are so busy trying to survive our difficulties. These difficulties restrict us from our true potential, talents, and strengths. I find Repetitive work boring and lose focus. My mind wanders. I have nothing to hyper-focus on. The world in general pressures adults to make major career decisions and we struggle with this concept. When drawn to careers for the bling of excitement we don’t stop to consider whether it is a good fit or not. We don’t ask, “Can we learn new things and be challenged? What the tasks and responsibilities? Will I get bored?”
Most ADHD people like variety, challenges, clear tasks, and short deadlines. Then there are some, who excel with time management and following written directives for creativity. Others, like myself, thrive with complex issues bringing all the pieces together.

There are many ADHD friendly professions, such as medical, tradesmen, law enforcement, military, teachers, entrepreneurs, and professionals. Many ADHD prefer jobs that don’t require sitting all day. Some choose to sit half of the time and move the other half. Many can focus and remain calm in a crisis. When changes in an environment or responsibility take place it makes a negative or positive impact. After I had been laid off seven years into my career, my subtype and severity changed creating new skill sets and challenges. This led me to learn more about ADHD, behaviors, the brain, and how to make changes. I found that I perform better with structure and deadlines. When I was younger, I used to thrive in highly structured environments.

For some, structure helps them flourish. In the military, it is a requirement to be able to function for a time without medication. I’m not sure why, but it could be the stigma of AD/HD lives in the military. Ironically, a lot of ADHD people perform better in a highly-structured environment because it is a sense of freedom and creativity. Others do better in the arts because the structure calls you to memorize characters, settings, plots, and deliver the payoff by a certain time.

When improving your work performance or looking for a job start with what are you good at, strengths, passions, and thrive. Then consider the challenges that will prevent you from your goal. Document your findings and find a career counselor, who understands ADHD and career development.

Wackykay9
02-13-17, 04:42 PM
Thanks for posting. I found it pretty helpful. I know it's tough with this disability as it makes it hard to focus. I was wondering, would you by chance be able to read a small section of my blog article? You don't have to read it in full, but I could use some suggestions on how to make it excellent.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19wVilCy3ASr0JtQAdGrhvByqYIbF6quDVb9qd9LyHHo/edit?usp=sharing

Any advice would help me out as I am also starting out as well.

Thanks,
Kyle