View Full Version : Article on the link between ADHD/AS and pesticide exposure

kilted_scotsman
01-14-17, 12:41 PM
Article in the Intercept on the link between Chlorpyrifos exposure during pregnancy and ADHD/AS in children.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/14/dow-chemical-wants-farmers-to-keep-using-a-pesticide-linked-to-autism-and-adhd/

Unmanagable
01-14-17, 02:14 PM
Thank you for sharing that. These are the areas of research that I feel often get swiftly cast aside or dismissed too easily in the search for answers.

Our current food supply is the root of so many chronic ailments and various causes of dis-ease yet are all too often being labeled as something it's not.

My experiences in flipping my dietary script to eliminate animal products has brought me more relief for various things than all of the meds combined in my lifetime.

dvdnvwls
01-14-17, 03:32 PM
Not eating animal products is, in terms of human health, not "flipping the script" but simply erasing the script. Animal products are our sole viable natural sources of several nutrients, and the artificial substitutes are inferior and in some cases not up to the task.

There's a reason for the hype that surrounds people's stories of rejecting animal products: it takes a lot of sales hype to fully obscure the facts of health and nutrition.

Unmanagable
01-14-17, 07:36 PM
Not eating animal products is, in terms of human health, not "flipping the script" but simply erasing the script. Animal products are our sole viable natural sources of several nutrients, and the artificial substitutes are inferior and in some cases not up to the task.

There's a reason for the hype that surrounds people's stories of rejecting animal products: it takes a lot of sales hype to fully obscure the facts of health and nutrition.

It also takes a lot of research, effort, and action that leads to direct experience to learn what is best for your own biological make-up, and then to follow through with it, in spite of what others may feel they already know. There is no one answer for all, regardless of what you choose.

A well-planned vegan diet can meet our nutritional needs. Paying attention to what the animals many are choosing to exploit are being fed is a wise move, too.

We aren't only ingesting their flesh and bodily secretions, but also what they've been fed and injected with along the way, as well as the energies of all they endure. Where do the animals get the nutrients we supposedly only get from them? It also takes a lot of sales hype to conveniently ignore the obvious.

mildadhd
01-14-17, 08:45 PM
(Quote below from the OP article link)

But Hertz-Picciotto, whose previous work focused on the impact of lead on children, feels it’s pointless to pit genetic and environmental factors against one another. Both contribute to the development of the disease roughly equally, she said, and even interact. Several studies have shown particular genetic variations increase the susceptibility of both children and adults to chlorpyrifos, for instance. And several different genetic and environmental occurrences may contribute to any one case of the disease.

Our more sensitive inherited temperaments may make us more reactive to certain chemicals, when exposed to.

sarahsweets
01-15-17, 03:24 AM
Why hasnt there been more written or shared about this? I am not saying I buy it, or dont buy it, but is there more evidence somewhere of this kind of thing? I wonder sometimes if the lack of other evidence is because there isnt much of any-in which case those that believe it will say its a conspiracy cover-up? Or is it bunk? Or is sifting through the loads of google info to hard?

C15H25N3O
01-15-17, 06:18 AM
Evidence would be pretty obvious if chlorpyrifos exposure was not microdosed.

Almost getting rid off or having a continous break on wheat, sugar and carbon acid changes a lot.

namazu
01-15-17, 10:37 AM
Why hasnt there been more written or shared about this? I am not saying I buy it, or dont buy it, but is there more evidence somewhere of this kind of thing? I wonder sometimes if the lack of other evidence is because there isnt much of any-in which case those that believe it will say its a conspiracy cover-up? Or is it bunk? Or is sifting through the loads of google info to hard?
Some of the relevant research is reviewed in this US EPA document (https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=EPA-HQ-OPP-2015-0653-0454&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf), which was linked in the article. There's not a ton of evidence, but the extant evidence does suggest the potential for harm.

Good (and even not-so-good) studies often take years to complete and write up. Newer studies may not have reached the stages where they're the subject of popular journalism.

And yes, it can be difficult to get funding for a study that may provide evidence to that a major commercial product could be causing public health harms.

SB_UK
01-16-17, 09:00 AM
Pesticide/Artificial fertilizer usage aren't sensible - max short term profit without a care for the consequences.
Need neither using modern technologies.
Pesticides kill life - there will be cross-reactivity.
First stop - define the optimal diet.
It's going to be prebiotic rich, probiotic rich and large amounts of low GI organic, fresh vegetables/salads + MUFA dressing.
Delete meat, fish, dairy, high GI foods (most notably sugar, wheat), sat. fat, cooking with any polyunsaturated fat, unsoaked nuts, legumes, seeds (though legumes may be completely off), excitotoxins (eg aspartame, MSG) ... ... ... ie delete most of what people eat to leave (pretty much) -

the humble veggietable -
prebiotic rich, probiotic rich and large amounts of low GI organic, fresh vegetables/salads + MUFA dressingraw Jerusalem artichoke, raw kimchi, raw greens, raw salad vegetables, raw cold pressed olive oil.

Just proper (living) food which (is thereby) compatible with life.

SB_UK
01-16-17, 09:19 AM
What does ^^^ have to do with ADHD ?

ADHD is the process of self-assembly of the mind, and the consequence of stress when our mind tells us one thing and our society tells us another.

Mind says 'don't use pesticides' Society says 'do use pesticides'.

But stress can come from many angles.

And the underlying stress caused by chemical exposure or inappropriate food exposure ie biochemical stresses which 'tax' the body ie push it out of its happy homeostatic zone - would thereby 'mimic' ADHD.

As ever - impossible to draw a causal link until we've an accurate idea of what ADHD is.

Where ADHD is simply 'sensitivity' to factors explored in 'The Highly Sensitive Person' - a novel evolutionary phenotype representing an unsurprising next step in evolutionary consciousness.

Kunga Dorji
02-14-17, 10:14 PM

These things do get buried, especially if they infringe on commercial interests.

It is not a conspiracy/cover up-- just more of a confluence of interests.
To get large studies done you need a lot of money- and that sort of money comes mostly from large companies. There are not many large companies with a commercial interest in that sort of study. Most of the farmers are in a borderline viable position- so they are not up for it.

In terms of publicity, the major media companies are, by and large owned by the same interests as the large chemical companies and pharmaceutical companies ( Remember that 1/2 of the world's wealth is owned by the top 1% of the world's position- and that the top 89 people own as much as the bottom 1/2 of the world's population). In that environment there is inevitable overlap of ownership and interests between all sorts of companies.

Hunting for these things on Google is hit and miss at the best, especially given the amount of misinformation on the Web. Take the example of Mad Cow Disease. Initially a total mystery, but now it appears that it arose due to the legally mandated requirement that farmers paint the backs of their cows with Phosmet (an organo-pthalimido- phosphorus insecticide) to kill off warble fly. This dropped copper levels in the cows and altered the Manganese from Mn2+ to Mn3+- which is quite a destructive ion. So the likely hypothesis is that that chemical change caused the proteins in the cows central nervous system to malfunction, causing mad cow disease.

This is where the example comes in-- hunting that through google would be sheer murder. I managed to track down the author's name after reading a book on the subject and finally a link on PubMed to the original paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10790765

But the name of the paper:
Ecosystems supporting clusters of sporadic TSEs demonstrate excesses of the radical-generating divalent cation manganese and deficiencies of antioxidant co factors Cu, Se, Fe, Zn. Does a foreign cation substitution at prion protein's Cu domain initiate TSE?

Not easy to find through googling- see what I mean?

As a broader comment though- none of these herbicides or insecticides are naturally occurring components of our environment. We have not evolved to tolerate them, and it is highly likely that they will be harmful to our biology.

Kunga Dorji
02-14-17, 10:25 PM
Maybe there is more to the conspiracy issue than I thought:
http://www.rense.com/general7/MCDchemical.htm

This article written by a neuroscientist from Cambridge, discusses the work done by Mark Purdey to explore the theory that Phosmet was driving the Mad Cow disease problem:

Bear in mind that Phosmet was produced by Zeneca ( now part of the pharmaceutical company Astra Zeneca)

An excerpt:

However, since he went public with his ideas, some rather unfortunate things have happened:
1. Both his vet and the lawyer defending his case died in suspicious road accidents. His second lawyer also had a car crash, but survived.

2. When an article about his work appeared in the "Independent", a national British newspaper, his telephone lines were cut. He was therefore unable to take follow up calls from other papers and television stations.

3. His farm house was burnt down just before he was about to move in.

4. His science library was destroyed by a collapsing barn.

5. When he travels around the country to talk about his theory, he is constantly trailed. Purdey believes that the root cause of BSE is an imbalance of magnesium and copper, exacerbated, in the case of the UK, by the use of a highly toxic pesticide known as phosmet. Phosphet is an organophosphate nerve toxin, originally developed by the Nazis. It is also related to the drug Thalidamide, which causes birth defects. Phosmet is made by Zeneca, a subdivision of the British chemical giant ICI. A week after the British government first announced the link between BSE and nvCJD, Zeneca sold the patent for phosmet to a PO Box company in Arizona, apparently to avoid potential legal action.

Now- one could argue that these were all coincidences- but i think you would be pushing it uphill.

Kunga Dorji
02-14-17, 11:37 PM
Here's a selection of the research done on chlorpyrifos

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=chlorpyrifos+neurodevelopmental+disorders