View Full Version : Social skills getting in the way of hobbies?

icantbelive93
01-16-17, 01:51 PM
Hey guys

So i've always been terrible at making friends. I have ADD-Inattentive type which I think is a big part of the problem. When i'm with people i'm bored 90% of the time, and when they are talking to me I feel like i'm under a fog. I probably come across as very expressionless. I used to rock climb and loved it, but quit due to the social aspect. I now live in another country and would love to start again.
However, I'm too scared of failing again socially. Every single time in my life I have joined a club or team I left again within a few weeks because everyone was making or having friends and I felt super alone. It feels so hopeless. There are so many things I would love to do but don't because I can't make friends and always end up a loner.

I just had to get this off my chest. Anyone who can relate? :)

Fraser_0762
01-16-17, 02:45 PM
Yep. I'm the invisible introvert that goes unnoticed in social situations. I feel like i'm not really there..... and nobody else seems to know that i'm there either.

icantbelive93
01-16-17, 02:52 PM
Yep. I'm the invisible introvert that goes unnoticed in social situations. I feel like i'm not really there..... and nobody else seems to know that i'm there either.

I feel the exact same way. Like i'm just air lol

Fuzzy12
01-16-17, 03:35 PM
I avoid a lot of situations because of the social aspects. I hate places where everyone is making friends except for me..even if I wasn't looking to make friends.

Enjoy your rock climbing. Focus on that. If you male friends along 6he way it's good but if not you can still.continue doing something that you love for itself.

A6 least that's what I'd tell myself but I know it's not easy when you are in a group and everyone except for you seems to be bonding.

icantbelive93
01-16-17, 04:00 PM
I avoid a lot of situations because of the social aspects. I hate places where everyone is making friends except for me..even if I wasn't looking to make friends.

Enjoy your rock climbing. Focus on that. If you male friends along 6he way it's good but if not you can still.continue doing something that you love for itself.

A6 least that's what I'd tell myself but I know it's not easy when you are in a group and everyone except for you seems to be bonding.

Good idea, I might try that:)

Little Missy
01-16-17, 05:35 PM

And I avoid these situations because everyone pays attention to me and I don't want them to! Its horrible.

sarahsweets
01-17-17, 05:01 AM
I see myself as an intoverted extrovert or an extroverted introvert. I love being social most times but it depends on whether I am feeling anxiety or not.I can be the life of the party an witty or I can be quiet yet engaged. When I am quieter I am a great active listener but if I am in an extrovert mood I can sometimes but it, and talk over people or not give them a chance to finish. I had to learn to let go of social barriers due to my involvement in AA and it was the best thing for me.

acdc01
01-19-17, 05:35 PM
Yep. Only 1 in-person friend and can't get myself to socialize enough to make any others. I tried the club thing too since people are forced to play with you even if you aren't friends. But I eventually get lazy and quit cause it's an effort to drive/transit myself out to the meeting spot and I don't have enough motivation to do so even though I do enjoy the sport.