View Full Version : Residential Treatment Centers

auntapple
06-02-05, 10:59 PM
HI all!! Can someone help me with some information on RTC centers. My son that is 6 years old is going to one in 3-4 days. The only problem is there is not one in Lincoln or Omaha for his age. I know this needs to be done for him but it is still heartbreaking for me. He has been in the hospital for about a week and a half now. I hope I am posting this right if I am not please let me know what I need to do, or what I am doing wrong. This might be easier if I knew that I had his fathers support, but he believes that there is nothing wrong with Brandon. Thank you for listening and for any help you can give me on this subject.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

whiteraven
06-03-05, 01:33 AM
Welcome!
Pleased to meet you.
I am 44, ADD, recently diagnosed. I have a 13yob who is showing ADD tendencies. I am having him tested in 2 weeks. I want his life to be easier than mine!
I'm afraid I know nothing about the centres, but you have come to the right place here for info and support. I'm sure someone will know.
I just wanted to say hi. You are having to make some difficult decisions alone and I know how hard that is. Hugs to you and your little guy.

scuro
06-03-05, 07:08 AM
I know little about Residential treatment centres. This is more for your husband so that he can see what other parents think about this topic. For what it's worth, here is my opinion on the subject.

I would send my child to a centre if any of the following situations were happening over a period of time;
1)my child was very disfunctional, if your household is in chaos, and you were exhausted.
2)they were a threat to others or themselves, this would go beyond behaviours like hitting siblings or "cuttings".
3)there was a serious issue with medication compliance or meds not working and or my child was mentally ill (delusional) and treatment wasn't working.

I would not send my child to RTC for oppositional behaviour especially if you can "work with him". You would want to see major conduct issues. See the critera of Conduct Disorder.

BiPolar in kids can be very difficult. I'm sure you have your hands full and then some. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Nucking_Futs
08-22-05, 02:59 PM
auntapple,

I may not have the answers you are looking for but we are here to support you in whatever comes your way.

We are building a Nebraska support section and I am busily trying to get one on one face to face support meeting started.

Hang in there, keep posting and we'll be thinking of you and your family.
Cherity