View Full Version : husband w/ADD -- meds available in canada?

jinglebts
08-25-03, 03:06 PM
my husband is 56 and has ADD (recently diagnosed), we live in canada, and ritalin doesn't work (makes him hyper, and does nothing to increase his focus) ... i gather that straterra and concerta are both available in the states but NOT here :rolleyes: -- can anyone suggest an equivalent?

he's too scattered to investigate this, and i can BARELY do it (i'm hypothyroid :o ), but it must be done if i'm to live with him, or if he's to get a job (he was recently laid off, and i don't think it has anything to do w/his ADD, but who knows) ...

any help would be appreciated, because i'm desperate here ...

Tara
08-25-03, 04:08 PM
Concerta was just approved in Canada this month. I'm not sure when it will be availble though.

Dexedrine is also another medication used for AD/HD which is availible in Canada.

I'm not too sure about other medications.

jinglebts
08-25-03, 06:06 PM
thanks -- i'm pretty desperate ...

aforceforgood
08-25-03, 11:33 PM
Jingle, you might also look into organic solutions, Acetyl-l-carnitine has worked for me, but I find that I pretty quickly develop a tolerance for it. It may work better for your husband. It's available at Lindbergh Nutritionals.

There are lots of other organic remedy/snake oils out there, and I haven't tried any, but given the huge side effects with all the ADD drugs, it's worth looking into before jumping into the whole drug thing...

Focus Factor is offering a "free" month's supply - a very sneaky offer, BTW, since you have to pay the shipping, $5 with a credit card they will auto-ship you another bottle (this time for $75!) within a month if you don't cancel the "subscription". But you could order it and cancel immediately just to try it and see if that's a better solution than drugs...

Hope this helps!

jinglebts
08-26-03, 12:25 AM
thaanks -- i don't think he's into neutraceuticals, but i'll try ...

Gregster
01-07-04, 07:30 PM
Strattera is approved but is not shipping to Canada yet (the last time I checked). My personal opinion is that Eli Lilly doesn't want to supply Canada yet - they want to make S***-loads of money selling at at un-regulated U.S. prices before they start selling in Canada, where they know the cross-border pharmacy business will start cutting into their profits (that's not being cynical, is it?). I know they are selling it in the U.K. already.
If Ritalin doesn't work well for him, then Concerta won't help either - its a slow release version of the same drug. There are several other stimulant meds he could try to help his focus - dexadrine, methamphetamine come to mind. I'm not sure if Adderall is available in Canada, but a lot of people swear by it (it's an amphetamine-salt combo).
By the way, I don't think Strattera will help with focus - but I could be wrong.

Wheel1975
01-07-04, 08:53 PM
if you are having trouble with this online format find a local face to face support group in your area and just go...

I suspect it will be worth your time and effort.

waywardclam
01-10-04, 02:00 AM
Canadian here... I have been taking Wellbutrin, which isn't solving all my issues, but is helping somewhat.

Shady_Lane
07-20-04, 10:22 PM
My doctor told me that the only 2 drugs that are available in canada, on drug plans are Dexadrine and Ritalin. I belive he said Concerta was available in canada, but it costs like 200 bucks a month...I think he said there was another one, but i can't remeber which one. But they won't be putting them on drugs plans anytime soon...Canadian goverment will only offer the 2 cheapest types on drug plans...

jinglebts
07-21-04, 01:30 AM
My doctor told me that the only 2 drugs that are available in canada, on drug plans are Dexadrine and Ritalin. I belive he said Concerta was available in canada, but it costs like 200 bucks a month...I think he said there was another one, but i can't remeber which one. But they won't be putting them on drugs plans anytime soon...Canadian goverment will only offer the 2 cheapest types on drug plans...

my husband began taking dexadrine a few months ago and his energy has improved greatly ... don't know about focus tho', and he still sometimes comes at me out of nowhere, completely misunderstanding something i didn't say and never thought, and we have terrific arguments about that...

our GP said the same thing too -- Dexadrine and Ritalin ...

thanks,
jb

QueensU_girl
07-17-05, 12:10 PM
Many Adults find Ritalin <tm> intolerable. (I have not met one who could use it, in fact!)

Some adults can tolerate other formulations of the ritalin drug -- eg. Concerta, Metadate, Focalin, etc. These patented release systems tend to cost much more.

Drug Rule #1: Adults often need much LESS DRUG than children, when taking Stimulants.

I can appreciate that you have a [very] hard time finding a Doctor to prescribe Stimulants.

Alternatives to Controlled Drugs for ADD/ADHD are: Wellbutrin, Effexor, cold medications containing 30 mg Pseudoephedrine, Rx diet pills (eg Ionamin - an amphetamine resin), and nicotine (patch?).

I first wondered if i had ADD/ADHD b/c i found cold medication helped me read material with better absorption.

You should also talk to his Doctor about Sleep Disorder Testing.

Many people with ADD/ADHD have Sleep Disorders -- eg Sleep Apnea, Restless Legs, Periodic Limb Movements, etc. These must be tested/measured in a sleep lab.

Sleep Disorders cause Memory Problems/Irritability/Impaired Concentration/Depression because the person has been awakened many times (sometimes over 100 times) each night!!

They also increase the risk of High Blood PRessure (and Heart Attack & Stroke).

Let me know if you need info for the Kingston, ON area.

Emma

Imnapl
07-17-05, 12:51 PM
Many Adults find Ritalin <tm> intolerable. (I have not met one who could use it, in fact!) I like Ritalin, as does my adult son. You will find other adults who take Ritalin on the forums.

Drug Rule #1: Adults often need much LESS DRUG than children, when taking Stimulants. Not the case for me or my son. I would be interested in the source of this "rule".

</tm>
<tm>Alternatives to Controlled Drugs for ADD/ADHD are: Wellbutrin, Effexor, cold medications containing 30 mg Pseudoephedrine, Rx diet pills (eg Ionamin - an amphetamine resin), and nicotine (patch?).
Emma, B.C. dropped Ritalin from the list in 2004. It seems it's not being abused on the street as originally suspected. :eek: I believe Ritalin isn't a controlled substance in Ontario.
</tm>

whiteraven
07-18-05, 01:19 AM
Ritalin didn't work for me. It made me sad and I felt worse than usual. I resisted trying anything else for a year.
Dexadrine is working. I am very happy with it's results.

Marmalade_man
09-13-05, 08:35 PM
Many Adults find Ritalin <TM>intolerable. (I have not met one who could use it, in fact!) EmmaI am 54 and Ritalin for me is FANTASTIC!!!! It quiets the idea storms of my mind that prevent me from sleeping and from focussing!!!:)

I can focus, stick to the tasks I start, complete things, better organize my self, have improved my memory and am tremendously helped by it.

Also for the first time in my life I can sleep the entire night (8 hours) or more
without a sleeping pill. Since I was a child, I seldom slept even 4 hours a night.

I thinks that the Dr. must adjust the dose too as mine did to get the best results. Perhaps the dose was too high or not timed right.

I am sure that there are many people who can't tollerate it but not ME:) :) :) It is my wonder drug. :) :) :)

I for example, can't tollerate betablockers but they are a lifesaver for many.

Timing can be important too. I was originally put on two doses a day and when it was changed to three it made a big difference.

Surprisingly enough since it is a STIMULANT, it CALMS me down.

I suggest that you go back to the Dr. until you find a drug and dossage that works. It can make a world of difference. My life turned around in a major way immediately.

Best wishes,

Vic

katatak
11-17-05, 06:23 PM
my husband is 56 and has ADD (recently diagnosed), we live in canada, and ritalin doesn't work (makes him hyper, and does nothing to increase his focus) ... i gather that straterra and concerta are both available in the states but NOT here :rolleyes: -- can anyone suggest an equivalent?

he's too scattered to investigate this,Dexedrine has been suggested already here, there are 3 formulations available. The original 5 mg tabs which last about 4 hours, Spansules which are exteneded release and may last up to 8 hours. Recently Adderal, which is a mixture of different kinds of dexedrine with different release rates, has been re-approaved. Straterra is brand new and may not be a good idea as a first or even second choice. Most people with ADHD will respond positively to either Dexedrine or Ritalin, some even to both. None of the other drugs are as effective in as many people.

...i can BARELY do it (i'm hypothyroid :o ), but it must be done if i'm to live with him, or if he's to get a job (he was recently laid off, and i don't think it has anything to do w/his ADD, but who knows)
...It sounds like you are having trouble with your hypothyroid condition. I also am hypothyroid so I am tested at least once a year and my thyroid replacement medication is adjusted accordingly. If I don't get the right amount I am lethargic and want to sleep all the time. It sounds to me like you need to have that simple blood test done. It does make a world of difference. My thyroid is not that massively compromised but I have relatives who have been almost incapacitated because of it.

Hope this helps

Katatak

julian32
09-14-07, 01:32 PM
It's called BIPHENTIN....extended release methylphenidate over 12 hours approved by Health Canada for ADHD treatment in Adults. Not available in the USA, although I suspect that it is the same drug formulation as FOCALIN except it's generic.