View Full Version : Problem with medication?

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 07:36 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forums today , as I have an important question to ask

I was recently diagnosed with a.d.d., and was prescribed 30mg focalin xr. Yesterday was the first day that I was on the medication. The first day of taking it was great. I was able to finish all my work, and felt very motivated the entire time. But today was not the same. In the morning, it kicked in, but the affect only lasted about an hour. Around 5 hours later, the 2nd part of the xr started to kick in, but only lasted for around 15 - 20 minutes.

I'd like to know why it lasts for such a short time? Yesterday it worked great and for a decent amount of time, but today it worked for 1 hour, and then another 20 minutes later.

I am 180 pounds, 6"1, and am quite active with a high metabolism . Any possible reasons for how to fix it, or why it's happening, will be greatly appreciated!!
(Also, I'm new to the forums and was not sure where to put this thread)

jkimbo
01-18-17, 08:34 PM
I prefer IR over ER. I'm about 180 too but only 5' 10" and I have a high tolerance too. I'd rather take several IR thru the day then a ER, plus ER cost more then IR too.

Ask if you can try focalin IR say 2 or 3 times thru out the day?

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 08:40 PM
I prefer IR over ER. I'm about 180 too but only 5' 10" and I have a high tolerance too. I'd rather take several IR thru the day then a ER, plus ER cost more then IR too.

Ask if you can try focalin IR say 2 or 3 times thru out the day?

Okay, will do. Is it possible I'm making too much? I started yesterday , and am taking 30mg, which my friend said was too much.

I'm still wondering why the effects of the xr only lasted a short amount of time... am I looking for the wrong "feeling" for this medication? Last night , I had the happy, euphoric, motivated, and focused feeling for hours. Is that what you should feel througboht the day? Or am I "chasing the high", and only saying it isn't working because I'm not feeling as motivated or focused

Fraser_0762
01-18-17, 08:50 PM
30mg is actually a fairly large starting dosage. Usually it starts at around 10mg on XR. How well did you sleep after your first day using it? Quality of sleep plays a huge factor in consistancy. What you eat and what you consume with the medication can also effect things.

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 08:59 PM
30mg is actually a fairly large starting dosage. Usually it starts at around 10mg on XR. How well did you sleep after your first day using it? Quality of sleep plays a huge factor in consistancy. What you eat and what you consume with the medication can also effect things.

It did start 10mg xr. After an hour of not feeling anything with 10mg, I decided to take more. I got a decent amount of sleep, but I could have gotten more.

Also, I've been digging into this alot and ivery noticed people saying "focalin is the hardest one to get used to, but is the most rewarding".. what do they mean by that?

And the thing I'm most curious about is why I didn't feel the focalin today. It worked for about an hour but then completely stopped. For that hour, I felt extremely happy, content, focused and very motivated to do more work.

Is it possible that by taking too much, the effects wear off quickly ? Or am I confusing the initial euphoria of the drug as how it is supposed to feel?

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 09:06 PM

To be more clear : yesterday night , I felt very happy , and very motivated and focused and able to do work. Is that the Euphoria of the drug, and it just lasted longer, or is that was it is supposed to do? Because I was incredibly focused, so idk if that's just the Euphoria, or ifor that is what it's supposed to do

Fraser_0762
01-18-17, 09:20 PM
How much were you prescribed to take on a daily basis?

Fraser_0762
01-18-17, 09:23 PM
To be more clear : yesterday night , I felt very happy , and very motivated and focused and able to do work. Is that the Euphoria of the drug, and it just lasted longer, or is that was it is supposed to do? Because I was incredibly focused, so idk if that's just the Euphoria, or ifor that is what it's supposed to do

It is a stimulant. A dopamine reuptake inhibitor. You felt happy, because the reward centre of your brain had a greater level of dopamine floating around than you are used to.

But the feel good factor from stimulants rarely lasts forever. There's a honeymoon period which makes you feel great, but that eventually wears off.

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 09:24 PM
How much were you prescribed to take on a daily basis?

I was given 10mg xr, 2x a day. I'm not exactly sure when Im supposed to take those pills , so I just take both of them in the morning at the same time.

I feel that if I space them out, I won't get a decent effect , since I am a decently large person and have a fast metabolism.. is my problem that I take them Bothe at the same time?

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 09:26 PM
It is a stimulant. A dopamine reuptake inhibitor. You felt happy, because the reward centre of your brain had a greater level of dopamine floating around than you are used to.

But the feel good factor from stimulants rarely lasts forever. There's a honeymoon period which makes you feel great, but that eventually wears off.

Was the incredible focus and motivation part of the 'honeymoon'? Or is the honeymoon simply the happiness

Shaun90110
01-18-17, 09:49 PM

Ohh. But even with the honeymoon happiness wearing off, i should still have the feeling of the increased focus and motivation , correct?

sarahsweets
01-19-17, 05:13 AM
I was given 10mg xr, 2x a day. I'm not exactly sure when Im supposed to take those pills , so I just take both of them in the morning at the same time.

I feel that if I space them out, I won't get a decent effect , since I am a decently large person and have a fast metabolism.. is my problem that I take them Bothe at the same time?

If you were given 20mg a day, how did you end up taking 30?

sarahsweets
01-19-17, 05:14 AM

If you space them out to multiple smaller doses it will work better because you will be having the medication at different times during the day rather than all at once in the morning.