View Full Version : Seen GP

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 05:20 AM
So I had my appointment and mentioned difficulties I have in terms of concentration, disorganization, impulses......etc

She said she would pass my information on (i'm not sure to who) but they will then decide whether I should see a psychiatrist, psychologist or occupational therapist.

She did say there was a huge waiting list though and that once they sent me a letter, i'd have to call them to book an appointment (which i'm dreading doing)

I asked her if there was any fast track, but she said there was nothing else she could do.

So now it's just playing the waiting game.....

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 05:33 AM
http://img07.deviantart.net/258c/i/2004/289/2/6/emoticon___boredom_by_rawart.gif

Greyhound1
01-19-17, 06:22 AM
The waiting game is the worst!

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 06:27 AM
Problem is, i'm on the verge of dropping out of college. I've actually done ok at college so far, but know for a fact that i'm going to be completely overwhelmed with big projects and planning when everything steps up a gear. Having dyspraxia doesn't help matters.

Fuzzy12
01-19-17, 06:30 AM
Fingers crossed. Hope you won't have to wait for too long!!

Fuzzy12
01-19-17, 06:30 AM
Problem is, i'm on the verge of dropping out of college. I've actually done ok at college so far, but know for a fact that i'm going to be completely overwhelmed with big projects and planning when everything steps up a gear. Having dyspraxia doesn't help matters.

Can you speak to someone at your college about your problems?

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 06:35 AM
Can you speak to someone at your college about your problems?

I already spend quite a bit of time with student support. They are wonderful people and do all that they can to help me. Unfortunately there are things that they can't help me with, things that I need to learn to do independently, as I can't rely on other people to keep me organized and on track forever.

It's about time I gave ADD & Dyspraxia a good hard kick in the balls. It won't defeat me, not this time.

Fuzzy12
01-19-17, 07:05 AM
I already spend quite a bit of time with student support. They are wonderful people and do all that they can to help me. Unfortunately there are things that they can't help me with, things that I need to learn to do independently, as I can't rely on other people to keep me organized and on track forever.

It's about time I gave ADD & Dyspraxia a good hard kick in the balls. It won't defeat me, not this time.
Maybe talk to us then. I mean if you post about specific problems maybe we can brain storm ideas like strategies.

kilted_scotsman
01-19-17, 07:07 AM
Did you ask about Low Cost Counselling Services eg PF in Edinburgh?

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 07:10 AM
Did you ask about Low Cost Counselling Services eg PF in Edinburgh?

Sorry, it didn't even cross my mind at the time. I was having a difficult time gathering my thoughts as I was trying to explain to my GP what was going on with my life.

I meant to ask other questions as well which completely went over my head. She even asked me if I had any questions to ask, but nothing came out.

I'd book another appointment, but these appointments take forever to get these days.

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 07:13 AM
Maybe talk to us then. I mean if you post about specific problems maybe we can brain storm ideas like strategies.

I often find it very difficult to word my problems or be specific about them. My brain feels like a complete mish mash at times and I can't seem to hold a single thought in my head for longer than a few seconds.

Thing is.... I can focus when I do something I really enjoy doing. I'm one of those weirdos that actually really enjoys maths and can process numbers at lightening speeds.

When it comes to anything else though, I don't know my backside from my elbow.

PolaBear
01-19-17, 09:52 AM
Waiting is a big thing with these situations, would have consultant appointments then have to wait 3 months for another, this after looking to get out as much as I could about what was going on, and having no real response.

BellaVita
01-19-17, 10:39 PM
Great job!

Maybe just distract yourself until the waiting has ended. :)

You took a very hard and good first step.

sarahsweets
01-20-17, 05:45 AM
I often find it very difficult to word my problems or be specific about them. My brain feels like a complete mish mash at times and I can't seem to hold a single thought in my head for longer than a few seconds.

Thing is.... I can focus when I do something I really enjoy doing. I'm one of those weirdos that actually really enjoys maths and can process numbers at lightening speeds.

When it comes to anything else though, I don't know my backside from my elbow.

Sometimes listing the problem on a piece of paper at the top and then writing a list of why its a problem and how it manifests itself as a problem helps me. Sort of like when you had to write down brain storming ideas as a child for writing. An idea at the top, why its an idea and how it affects you. You would want to do this ahead of a visit with a doc or therapist or even student services so you dont feel rushed or pressured because that can sort of numb your mind with anxiety.