View Full Version : Orlando area doctor

01-19-17, 01:53 PM
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a doctor in the Orlando area who can help treat my husband's ADD. The doctors he has seen have dismissed his concerns about ADD and we need someone who will take him seriously.

01-19-17, 07:14 PM
I don't know the area myself, but you might be able to get good referrals from:

- A local or regional CHADD (Children and Adults with ADHD) chapter. There's one listed in Orlando/Central FL.

- UCF or Nemours kids' learning/behavior/ADHD clinics.

Even though they focus on kids, kids grow up, and ADHD often runs in families, so the folks there may be aware of local clinicians who treat ADHD in adults. Also, some psychiatrists affiliated with UCF or Nemours may also have private practices outside of the kids' clinics where they also treat adults.

It can be tricky to find an ADHD specialist who is covered by insurance, if that's a concern. Some doctors who consider themselves ADHD specialists don't take insurance. Sometimes a non-specialist who just has a really good bedside manner -- someone who listens and won't dismiss your concerns -- may be just as helpful, as long as they have basic knowledge baout ADHD and its treatment. (How to find such a person without paying lots of fees for "intake" appointments where you have to tell you life story over and over isn't clear, though.)

Of course, we do have members from Central FL, so perhaps someone who actually knows something will chime in!

Best wishes!

Ash Chemist
07-11-17, 04:59 PM
I'm also looking for a Dr. (and/or mental health counselor of some sort) in the Orlando area for adult treatment. Looking for someone who will attempt to medicate properly...not just write a script and never do any follow-up.