View Full Version : Compulsion to shiver??

ChadderCheeze
01-20-17, 11:26 AM
Hello, my 11-year-old was recently diagnosed with ADHD. So far no treatment has been started (other than trying desperately to keep him away from refined sugar). Occasionally he will have compulsions to shiver his body, like he's excited or cold. It's only occasionally and not disruptive, although a few times he had episodes where he had a hard time holding still. If you didn't know what was going on you'd think he was just cold.

Today he had to come home from school because the compulsions were so bad. He likens it to having restless leg syndrome (which he's never had so I was surprised to hear the comparison, but his mother gets that from time to time.)

My question is this: Is this a relatively common symptom in a young person with ADHD? At first I was wondering if it were OCD or Tourettes related. Right now I'm looking into homeopathic/naturopathic ways to help him.

Thanks ahead of time for your help and wisdom.

~Chad

sarahsweets
01-21-17, 05:25 AM
It does seem like some kind of tic IMO. You dont have to have tourettes to tic- there are some kids with adhd that tic, my son used to clear his throat a lot for like 6 months when he was 8. What has made you decide to try a natural method for the adhd vs medication?

ChadderCheeze
01-21-17, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the response. Regarding taking a non-medication route, I just don't trust it. That's not to say it doesn't work. My entire family has struggled with chemical dependency at some point, some of us at an early age brought on by prescriptions given to us. They don't mix well with addictive personalities. So I'd rather not take any chances with my children if I don't have to. I should mention that his ADHD is very mild. If I find that there are dietary changes and organic means that can help I would certainly like to bypass any potential side effects. If that doesn't help...well, we'll go from there.

sarahsweets
01-22-17, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the response. Regarding taking a non-medication route, I just don't trust it. That's not to say it doesn't work. My entire family has struggled with chemical dependency at some point, some of us at an early age brought on by prescriptions given to us. They don't mix well with addictive personalities. So I'd rather not take any chances with my children if I don't have to. I should mention that his ADHD is very mild. If I find that there are dietary changes and organic means that can help I would certainly like to bypass any potential side effects. If that doesn't help...well, we'll go from there.

Hey, I appreciate your opinion but wanted to share that statistically, people who have the genetic propensity toward addiction are less likely to abuse substances when treated with medication. People that are addicts and alcoholics are more likely to stay sober when treated with medication. I am an alcoholic in recovery and have been on stimulants for over 15 years- my son who is almost 21 took meds until he was 16. Just sharing that info, thats all. I respect your right to whatever adhd treatment you think will work.

Fuzzy12
01-22-17, 06:41 AM
Is it voluntary? I get restless leg syndrome and while it feels incredibly uncomfortable to not move when I want to the movements I make are voluntary and under my control.

I'm asking because I get shivers sometimes that are not voluntary or under my control and also don't have anything to do with me feeking cold. My whole body just shovers for a few seconds. It happens rarely though. Maybe every few weeks and these days it's even rarer. It's not an adhd thing I think.

I wouldn't rule out physical causes.
It might be worth mentioning it to his gp.

Fraser_0762
01-22-17, 06:50 AM
Could be a sensory issue. Touching certain fabrics (or even just thinking about touching them) sends a shiver down me.

Caco3girl
01-23-17, 11:11 AM
My son is ADHD and on Aderall XR and does not have these "shivers", never has.