View Full Version : Dex IR vs. ER/CR

cobain67
01-20-17, 08:17 PM
For those of whom have had both, which do you prefer? If you've gone from CR to IR, have you been able to establish a steady state of efficacy with dosing?

Any and all insight into personal feedback regarding the two and or personal preference would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Little Nut
01-21-17, 03:02 PM
For dexedrine I have only used IR. Establishing dosing (how many mg) and establishing frequency (how many times a day) was very straightforward w/ an IR.

Major thing as you know is to be sure you are using symptom treatment as the measurement for success and not the short-lived euphoric kick associated with upping a dose.

Your dosing is set at the lowest dose that treats all your symptoms without unacceptable side effects. Keep a daily journal. After starting or changing a dose I wait at least 2 weeks (time it takes my body to kinda reach steady state for most things) before changing the dose again. This is important IMO, if your dose is consistently wearing off before the next dose, you do not increase the dose. You shorten the time between doses.

Your frequency is based on the approximate time your dose lasts. When you start out you have a 2 week period at a single dose where at least some of your symptoms are treated. I always used focus and working memory to judge how long it lasts. So let's say that many of your symptoms are fully treated and it last for 3-1/2 hours until your symptoms start returning, I would schedule a second and any subsequent doses for every 3-1/2hours. Then let's say you added another 2 doses and bumped your dosage at the same time, I would reevaluate the frequency again in 2 weeks. If wearing off before next dose, shorten it.

Once you have established your dosing schedule, see how it does over the next month or so. if some days it treats all your symptoms and some days there are times when not all symptoms are treated fully, bump your dose a little. If you are consistently having trouble getting to sleep, maybe cut your last dose a bit &/or move it up a bit.

For the most part I tried to wait 2 weeks at a dose before making changes. Also, make sure your Doc agrees to EVERYONE of your changes explicitly or implicitly. I always preferred to establish how much latitude I had before leaving the office or I called in beforehand. Also, I would try to ignore any side-effects I considered non-critical for 2 weeks. Longer if side-effects kept getting better over time. Which side effects you can live with for a while and which are critical to react immediately to is something you and your Doc need to be clear on beforehand. HTH, -LN

Jenn1202
01-21-17, 05:25 PM
I prefer IR. There are very few options for Dex ER, 5 mg, 10 mg and 15 mg. These strengths simply don't work for me and since there's no way to split the ER capsules (capsules don't work this way), Dex IR is my only option. 5 mg Dex ER isn't effective enough for me and 10 mg is too strong. If 7.5 mg existed it would probably work, but it doesn't.

Sickle
01-22-17, 05:57 PM
I have gone back and forth. I like both at different times in my life. I like the actavis ones that are actually TEVA owned now. I think Barr was gone and I hated those.

cobain67
01-25-17, 01:51 AM
Thank you all for the help.

:)

sarahsweets
01-26-17, 05:44 AM
I take adderall xr and dex spansules- I take 2 10mg spansules a day as boosters for the adderall.

cobain67
02-21-17, 05:04 PM
Thus far after 2hrs of dosing depression hits in a soul crushing like way on occasion.. Hopefully it's temporary.

aeon
02-21-17, 05:24 PM
I’ve had CR spansules and IR tablets.

Each has things to recommend it over the other.

I think I prefer the IR, but it is too soon to be sure.

Cheers,
Ian

cobain67
02-21-17, 07:22 PM
Iíve had CR spansules and IR tablets.

Each has things to recommend it over the other.

I think I prefer the IR, but it is too soon to be sure.

Cheers,
Ian

What do you like more about each personally? Do you experience ups and downs with IR, if so how do you cope?

cobain67
02-22-17, 09:50 PM
Does anyone else experience the mood changes after two hours as above?

Little Missy
02-23-17, 08:39 AM
Does anyone else experience the mood changes after two hours as above?

Sometimes it makes me mute and morose.

But I switch off and on from Dex to Adderall and it rarely happens much anymore.

aeon
02-23-17, 12:14 PM
What do you like more about each personally?

CR ó once-a-day dosing, smooth and easy release

IR ó comes on a bit faster, easier to work around meals, less severe vasoconstriction, better quality sleep at night, 1/3 the cost

Do you experience ups and downs with IR, if so how do you cope?

Only if I have not eaten properly, and in any case, the up is always welcome.

The downs...Iíve dealt with various kinds and degrees of dysphoria all my life, so an occasional mood dip as Dex IR wears off isnít going to break my stride. And for me, music soothes this savage beast. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

cobain67
02-23-17, 04:50 PM
Thanks. I think what I noticed was possibly the medicine amplifying aspects of my life I need to change, as in, I'm less able to tolerate them. I suppose it's a good thing in such regards, for self awareness is definitely increased on Dex for better or worse, whereas off meds I'm either unaware of misery or tolerant and accepting of it as a way of life. I love how I feel and can think clearly, finally, on Dexedrine or Adderall consistently. Unmedicated I find I get moments of clarity that are swept under the rug by the grief of all else, and epiphanies reached too forgotten when they are in the greatest need of application.

cobain67
02-28-17, 03:02 PM
I do notice I wake up way more tired than normal, and until the first IR dose is taken really drag.. This generally to be expected ?

Focused_Frank
03-01-17, 12:19 AM
To answer your question regarding the depression or rebound effect starting on your 2, yes I can relate and for me it exists as well. That being said, it pales in comparison to the horrid rebound/low of adderall/vyvanse in my experience. I don't experience the rebound at all anymore by following my the routine I have worked out; ( I'm rx'd 60mg dextrostat IR and 100mg Seconal a day) begin work day with 1 10mg dextrostat and redose every 2 hours. The very last dose I time it specifically so that the 2 hour drop I take my Seconal for sleep, which makes the 'crash'/rebound more like a floating onto a velvet pillow. Weird metaphor but it essentially means I experience not crash and perfect sleep. If your not blessed with an effective sleeping pill, I'd recommend reading and then winding down with simplistic routine for bed. And obviously prefer IR, hands down.

cobain67
03-01-17, 02:48 PM
To answer your question regarding the depression or rebound effect starting on your 2, yes I can relate and for me it exists as well. That being said, it pales in comparison to the horrid rebound/low of adderall/vyvanse in my experience. I don't experience the rebound at all anymore by following my the routine I have worked out; ( I'm rx'd 60mg dextrostat IR and 100mg Seconal a day) begin work day with 1 10mg dextrostat and redose every 2 hours. The very last dose I time it specifically so that the 2 hour drop I take my Seconal for sleep, which makes the 'crash'/rebound more like a floating onto a velvet pillow. Weird metaphor but it essentially means I experience not crash and perfect sleep. If your not blessed with an effective sleeping pill, I'd recommend reading and then winding down with simplistic routine for bed. And obviously prefer IR, hands down.

Thank you. How is your emotional state on the Dexedrine? Do you feel well like this? Also, how long have you been on your listed regimen?
Thank you again

Focused_Frank
03-01-17, 08:12 PM
Emotionally, I differ from my normal state in that I am, obliviously, very goal oriented, stronger will, mood elevation, but can suffer from edginess if I am overly medicated occasionally. I absolutely feel well like this, I still feel essentially like a happier more, focused me. I know that any doctor or person needing to correct others would flip out of this, but it actually is the best anti-depressionant I've had. Been on it for about 3 years. Take your time and try to tune it to what you feel is right and stick with it before giving up, as in my opinion the only other option that is parallel or superior to dextrostat is desoxyn. I hope I helped!

cobain67
03-02-17, 07:50 PM
Emotionally, I differ from my normal state in that I am, obliviously, very goal oriented, stronger will, mood elevation, but can suffer from edginess if I am overly medicated occasionally. I absolutely feel well like this, I still feel essentially like a happier more, focused me. I know that any doctor or person needing to correct others would flip out of this, but it actually is the best anti-depressionant I've had. Been on it for about 3 years. Take your time and try to tune it to what you feel is right and stick with it before giving up, as in my opinion the only other option that is parallel or superior to dextrostat is desoxyn. I hope I helped!

Yes, definitely you did. Thank you!

As for meals, is it best to eat around the 2hr mark after last dosage or does it really matter?
Thanks

Focused_Frank
03-03-17, 12:07 AM
Definitely don't let your blood sugar drop after the last dose, so yeah I'd make sure to have a protein rich meal and stay hydrated, as these can be game changers.

cobain67
03-07-17, 12:11 PM
Ok, so thus far my experience with Dexedrine IR has left me a few questions:
1. When on Dexedrine, is it normal to need more food when activity levels are static? I have been eating the exact same things for months at the same intervals and find the first dose works well, then I start feeling deeper apathy unless I eat more frequently than before, and with the apathy comes worsening brain fog, moreso than premeds. Does Dexedrine lower blood sugar and or require one to eat more?

Will add morecas they return to mind

Thank you

aeon
03-07-17, 12:24 PM
Does Dexedrine lower blood sugar and or require one to eat more?

No, at least not based on my experience of taking blood sugar readings both on and off of the medication.

It does seem to have some minor effect in terms of preventing medication-induced hypoglycemia, though.

Cheers,
Ian

cobain67
03-07-17, 02:37 PM
Quite interesting. Thank you

I started out really low dosage wise, with 2.5mg dosed 3.5hrs apart equating to 7.5mg the first few times taken. The first dose was taken on an empty stomach, and had the most notable effects. The second dose was also helpful, though I began feeling down somewhat, though less than usual. The last dose I had trouble thinking sharply (less though than normal) though did also skip all caffeine minus my morning coffee (about 300mg less on this day, replaced with the 3rd 2.5mg dose of dex. so the fogginess may be related to caffeine absence) I skipped the next day of dex to see how I fared, and as I somewhat struggle internally with surrendering to needing medication to function at my best, and am working through these feelings.
Prior to restarting dexedrine, I literally MUST do 20-40 minutes of morning cardio daily to function at a minimally tolerable level (I work as a cashier), and this is the only way unmedicated, coupled with many other adjustments, I can exist.

cobain67
03-07-17, 07:43 PM
What I previously meant regarding dexedrine shedding light on what areas I need to change in my life, I was referring to on one hand my diet: I wasn't eating enough prior to starting dexedrine throughout the day and consumed more food in the evenings, however, once starting dex, my emotional state/wellbeing dropped and I felt more weak and sad, and like I should eat more to feel better. Does that make any sense at all? I don't really know what I'm getting at other than it feels harder to eat as I was before on Dex than off it physiologically. Is this normal? Apathy hits hard if I choose to eat as I was previously.

Thank you

Yoshiyama
03-07-17, 10:02 PM
I have only tried the IR's once & for myself didn't like how they worked for me. I knew right when they kicked in (20-30 minutes after taking them) & they would kick out of me just as suddenly about 2 - 2.5hrs later. I found the ER capsules work much better for me. I take my 1st dose at 5am when I get up & my next dose at 11am which will get me through the rest of the day. I also have no problems sleeping while taking them, I actually sleep better when I'm medicated then when I'm unmedicated.