View Full Version : Newly diagnosed medical student 🙄🙄

Flightsoffancy
01-21-17, 01:00 AM
My mom is a psychiatrist so is my grandma. I've heard the words ADHD my whole life and in my head, remembered the shrieking hyperactive little boy I saw at the supermarket. So imagine my surprise when my grades started dropping when more than minimum effort was required. I hateD myself. Felt lazy and stupid. By some miracle I got into med school and felt even more frustrated when I saw people being able to sit done and read for more than three minutes. I grew fat and depressed and wallows in self pity. It didn't help that my parents were top class doctors and I was constantly under pressure to perform exceedingly well. Cue mental breakdown.

With ten days to my finals I sat on the floor and cried cause I'd spent the day watching cat memes when my mom came home and brought some Ritalin with her. She'd been noticing my crazies and she thought it was PMDD/PMS. the problem was I struggled to get decent grades buy because I'd made such grades, she never suspected. My younger brother was classically ADD. I wasn't. So I took my first ever pills last week. And cried. Like a baby.
For the first time in forever I felt like the constant background noise to my life stopped. I felt like I could focus on anything. Before this watching a movie was difficult. Walking up. Showering. My room was the Bermuda Triangle. I read like I used to as a kid. I finally looked people in the eye when they spoke to me. My creativity seemed more focused. And for once in my life I felt Incharge of it. And I am so grateful to methylphenidate. I'm already losing weight, not because it suppressed hunger but now I can finally focus enough to work out. I feel like a new person. Thank you God. And thank you, random mates, for listening. Wherever you are, remember that the best is yet to come and God bless.

sarahsweets
01-21-17, 07:06 AM
My mom is a psychiatrist so is my grandma. I've heard the words ADHD my whole life and in my head, remembered the shrieking hyperactive little boy I saw at the supermarket. So imagine my surprise when my grades started dropping when more than minimum effort was required. I hateD myself. Felt lazy and stupid. By some miracle I got into med school and felt even more frustrated when I saw people being able to sit done and read for more than three minutes. I grew fat and depressed and wallows in self pity. It didn't help that my parents were top class doctors and I was constantly under pressure to perform exceedingly well. Cue mental breakdown.

With ten days to my finals I sat on the floor and cried cause I'd spent the day watching cat memes when my mom came home and brought some Ritalin with her. She'd been noticing my crazies and she thought it was PMDD/PMS. the problem was I struggled to get decent grades buy because I'd made such grades, she never suspected. My younger brother was classically ADD. I wasn't. So I took my first ever pills last week. And cried. Like a baby.
For the first time in forever I felt like the constant background noise to my life stopped. I felt like I could focus on anything. Before this watching a movie was difficult. Walking up. Showering. My room was the Bermuda Triangle. I read like I used to as a kid. I finally looked people in the eye when they spoke to me. My creativity seemed more focused. And for once in my life I felt Incharge of it. And I am so grateful to methylphenidate. I'm already losing weight, not because it suppressed hunger but now I can finally focus enough to work out. I feel like a new person. Thank you God. And thank you, random mates, for listening. Wherever you are, remember that the best is yet to come and God bless.

I am glad for you but want to encourage you to see a doctor that is not in your family. Your mom meant well but separating your disorder from her motherhood is important.

Flightsoffancy
01-23-17, 08:51 AM
Yes, I am seeing someone in my college �� Thank you :)