View Full Version : So, it's the predominantly inattentive subtype

SpazzyJanet
01-21-17, 08:53 AM
Got my diagnosis yesterday. IQ 124, ADHD- PI.

I hadn't zeroed in on the PI subtype because I think that I can be impulsive at times, but it does not rise to the level of clinical, and I have never emptied my bank account or done something so drastic that I've lost a job, etc.

Once I started doing research on the experiences of people with this subtype specifically, everything really clicked. The internalizing, low self- esteem, poor self concept, etc. I've developed a lot of coping strategies over the years, but I've realized that my brains tendancy to float around until I can grab pieces and arrange it in order after the fact is not normal. Most peoples' brains operate in a linear fashion. Mine does not.

It will be nearly a month before I get in to a family practitioner to discuss this. Though the doc will have the psych report, I am concerned about what she will do. Most general practitioners have very little experience with adult ADD, and I am afraid that I will be treated like a malingerer or encouraged to find more coping mechanisms that don't involve meds.

I've already been doing this all my life! It's time to fix the chemical imbalance medically. Even adult women deserve that, correct?

ToneTone
01-21-17, 07:53 PM
Some GP's don't understand ADHD, but you may be surprised: a lot do. Forget the malingerer thing ... Doctors are far less judgmental than you might think. After all, they deal with people who don't want to take bp meds, who overeat, don't exercise, smoke, take drugs.

As a rule (and I know I'm sounding like a big defender of doctors here), the best ones are not judgmental at all.

I have a great GP ... and one day she let it slip that she also took Concerta ... Now, she isn't my prescribing doctor and I never would have guessed that she had anything to do with ADHD. But one day, she was looking at my meds and she said. "How you like that Concerta?" I said, "I like it a lot." "It's great isn't it," she said.

So good luck. Relax ... doctors are people we are supposed to tell everything to ... that we drink, smoke, overeat ... they want all that information to better understand us. If your doctor is judgmental, fire them on the spot and look for a new doctor.

Tone

jbradindaghetto
01-22-17, 12:55 AM
Wow! It sounds like I'm reading about myself! I have been diagnosed with a sub type, but that describes me to a tee.

After my diagnosis I was worried about the same thing because I know my GP prefers not to prescribe. To my surprise I walked out with a prescription. He hasn't dealt with a lot of Adult ADHD because he is a new doctor, and an ER nurse for 25 years, but he is working with me. It will probably take some tweaking, but we'll get there.
When I went in I planned on having a list of talking points (thinks I've tried, things I struggle with, things I feel like I need) so I could make my case as clearly as possible without forgetting everything when on the spot. Naturally, I never did get around to it, but maybe that helped prove my point, and my wife was there to remember things for me.
Anyway, for what it's worth, my advice is be as clear as you can about all of your coping efforts so far so that she knows you have been dealing with it.

ToneTone
01-22-17, 06:44 PM
And don't forget: there is a huge bias in our culture against accepting that we might have ADHD. No one wants to accept the diagnosis. I only came to it after many many years of frustration and failure and on and on ...

So "malingerer" is hardly going to be the first thing on your doctor's mind. It's a sign of maturity that you will be willing to discuss ADHD. Now if you've had a history of a drug problem or a history of drug addiction, then doctors can get scared about prescribing stimulants. But that doesn't mean they won't.

Tone

aeon
01-22-17, 09:13 PM
No one wants to accept the diagnosis.

I sure did. I finally had something that made sense, explained so much, and provided a coherent thread that ran through and tied together what were previously disparate pieces of my life narrative.

I cried with gratitude when I was diagnosed. I could see there was a framework into which everything fit.

And then there was the first day I was medicated. More tears. I never knew there was help for the way I was (and am).

Cheers,
Ian

ToneTone
01-24-17, 09:56 PM
Aeon,

Oh I was positively delighted when I finally accepted that I had ADHD ... but the clues were there for quite a while ... and I ignored them ... I came to accept it when I was at a really vulnerable and open place in my life ... when I was really willing to look at myself ...

And I got lucky ... Wellbutrin gave me such focus that I knew something else was going on beside depression.

Yes, it was a relief to get the diagnosis for me as well.

Tone