View Full Version : Medication used to have an effect, now I just get tired

YouIdiot
01-21-17, 04:06 PM
I searched around but didn't find any other cases where medication used to give a stimulating effect but now does the opposite. ADD-I, I use concerta SR 5-10mg and Daytrana 10-15mg.

Historically, I would definitely feel a big difference after taking my meds. Euphoric, high energy, concentration, it was wonderful. If I combined with caffeine the effects would intensify.

For the past several months, I become tired and spacey after taking my normal doses. Even higher doses make me more tired, spacey and sleepy. I put on a daytrana patch 2 hrs ago and I'm about ready to take a nap right now.

This adverse side effect started a few months back, and generally I have been in a spell of poor focus, low energy, poor sleep, and a lack of motivation. I've adjusted my diet and it's pretty good, I don't eat much sugar and stay away from processed food and get a good amount of fruits and vegetables.

I'd really be interested if others have gone through this, and what you did to turn it around. It's making me feel pretty frustrated and hopeless since I can't seem to find a way out of this mess. Thanks, YouIdiot

Fraser_0762
01-21-17, 04:13 PM
How is the quality of your sleep? And are you keeping yourself well hydrated throughout the day?

For ADHD-PI, it's usually not a good idea to take stimulants all of the time, but only when you need them to boost your concentration. If you have days when you're not really doing anything productive anyway, perhaps use those days to take a break and help reverse some of the tolerance.

YouIdiot
01-21-17, 04:51 PM
I don't really know what the quality of my sleep is actually. I'll admit to using a lot of electronics, a lot of screen time. It pretty much takes up my whole day at times. Staying hydrated sounds like a good idea, I'll make sure to get my levels up. Thanks.

Fraser_0762
01-21-17, 04:58 PM
I don't really know what the quality of my sleep is actually. I'll admit to using a lot of electronics, a lot of screen time. It pretty much takes up my whole day at times. Staying hydrated sounds like a good idea, I'll make sure to get my levels up. Thanks.

If you can, try hydrating yourself with plain water and avoid caffeine completely if you are able to. I would also recommend daily magnesium supplementation, it's been known to help in regards to stimulant tolerance and side effects.

Good luck!

Little Nut
01-21-17, 06:33 PM
Hey You Idiot, What happens if you discontinue the meds?

YouIdiot
01-21-17, 08:51 PM

Your reply is exactly why I chose that username, so thanks.

A lot of times I just don't start the day with all the concentration and energy as I need to get things done, which is when I would take some meds. So most of the time I'm not on my meds except for when I really need them. Ironically now when I really need them they make it worse.

AshleyTheo
01-22-17, 01:02 AM
Hello. I hate to inform you of the fact that your problem can only keep getting worse if you stay on ADHD drugs. This is because as recent long-term studies have verified, ADHD drugs actually only work for up to two years, after which the accumulated damages take over.

I wrote about a guy named Tom. Tom's chronic fatigue in that real story seems very similar to yours, although not as bad I guess. After having seen too many people like Tom, I have researched the long-term adverse effects of ADHD drugs for more than a year. I then wrote extensively about what pathological brain changes occur in long-time stimulant users and how these can be reversed with clinically verified effective drug-free alternatives.

Search Google for "Dr. Breggin's 10% taper method" if you decide to quit your meds.

Below are two introductory paragraphs from my ebook, summarizing why people feel worse the longer they use ADHD drugs:
Almost all ADHD medications are addictive stimulants classified by the DEA under Schedule II due to their abuse potential. The long-term studies showing the progressive damages caused by ADHD medications have deliberately not been published for decades, while the drugs’ short-term benefits have been aggressively promoted in a misleading manner to increase drug sales. But in more recent years, a number of significant long-term studies have finally found their way into publication. These long-term findings show that the supposed “benefits” from ADHD drugs may be observed for at most two years, after which the accumulated damages can’t be ignored. Among these accumulated damages are the very undesired conditions that ADHD medications seem to improve in the short-term.
The undesired conditions exacerbated by the long-term use of ADHD medications include chronic fatigue and sleepiness, weakened cognition and learning ability, aggression, lack of motivation, and diminished ability to feel pleasure from anything including the drugs themselves as tolerance builds up. These are just some of the adverse effects which cause users to feel increasingly dependent on these drugs to feel better in the short-term, which may lead to addiction and overdosing. Other adverse effects of ADHD medications include vascular disease, high blood pressure and reduced circulation including 23-30% reduced cerebral blood circulation – all of which are caused by the prolonged emergency stress response the drugs create to induce alertness. Vascular problems caused by ADHD medications can result in sudden death as the FDA warns in boxed warnings on drug labels. The use of ADHD drugs has also been associated with a near 3-fold increase in developing Parkinson’s disease, as well as psychiatric disorders such as mania and psychosis.
Every statement in this book is verifiable by credible electronic references which allow instant fact-checking.
Best of luck.

sarahsweets
01-22-17, 04:57 AM
Hello. I hate to inform you of the fact that your problem can only keep getting worse if you stay on ADHD drugs. This is because as recent long-term studies have verified, ADHD drugs actually only work for up to two years, after which the accumulated damages take over.
What proof do you have? Because your e-book isnt proof.

I wrote about a guy named Tom. Tom's chronic fatigue in that real story seems very similar to yours, although not as bad I guess. After having seen too many people like Tom, I have researched the long-term adverse effects of ADHD drugs for more than a year. I then wrote extensively about what pathological brain changes occur in long-time stimulant users and how these can be reversed with clinically verified effective drug-free alternatives.

Search Google for "Dr. Breggin's 10% taper method" if you decide to quit your meds.

Below are two introductory paragraphs from my ebook, summarizing why people feel worse the longer they use ADHD drugs:

Best of luck.

Its this kind of fear mongering and misinformation that scares people away from treatment. I have been on stimulants for over 15 years.

Fraser_0762
01-22-17, 05:05 AM
lmao

The meds are bad for you.... purchase my ebook to find out why...

Top marks for the effort! :lol:

EuropeanADHD
01-22-17, 05:51 AM
I searched around but didn't find any other cases where medication used to give a stimulating effect but now does the opposite. ADD-I, I use concerta SR 5-10mg and Daytrana 10-15mg.

Historically, I would definitely feel a big difference after taking my meds. Euphoric, high energy, concentration, it was wonderful. If I combined with caffeine the effects would intensify.

For the past several months, I become tired and spacey after taking my normal doses. Even higher doses make me more tired, spacey and sleepy. I put on a daytrana patch 2 hrs ago and I'm about ready to take a nap right now.

This adverse side effect started a few months back, and generally I have been in a spell of poor focus, low energy, poor sleep, and a lack of motivation. I've adjusted my diet and it's pretty good, I don't eat much sugar and stay away from processed food and get a good amount of fruits and vegetables.

I'd really be interested if others have gone through this, and what you did to turn it around. It's making me feel pretty frustrated and hopeless since I can't seem to find a way out of this mess. Thanks, YouIdiot

Hi, your description strikes me odd for several reasons:

- MPH is not supposed to make you euphoric. It sometimes does at the beginning and only for some people. But I read that the euphoric effect was sometimes supposed to kick in only at high (too high) doses and prevailingly for people without ADD.

- The effect of caffeine. Not sure if what you describe is normal. I couldn't take MPH meds with caffeine. When I did, no matter what amount of MPH I took, the effect was simply disastrous - I wasn't more focused, only nervous. Caffeine never intensified the effect of MPH, it reversed it.

Similarly to the other people I would think you should give it up at least for a few months.

The beginning will be difficult of course. You will feel sleepy and find it difficult to concentrate. But with time it will get better and you will feel exactly the same you used to before starting to take the meds.

psychopathetic
01-23-17, 07:34 AM

Well...that was a bit rude wasn't it?

lol :lol:

:yes:

I so relate with this with my adderall. I find a dose that worked for me and it was day and night from when I didn't take it.
But me being me, I stopped taking it for several months, and when I got put back on it (same dose)...it's stopped giving me much like it use to. I too get really tired it seems on it as well...like I'll take it, and 30 minutes later I'll be ready for a nap (though to be fair, I'm pretty much constantly tired anymore...and sometimes it does the opposite, and actually helps me wake up a bit).

Have any of your other meds changed? Are you taking anything new?

My doc has me on a couple new mood stabilizers which I think very well may be affecting my adderall (she wants to focus on my bipolar meds before working on my add meds...I'm in complete agreement on this).

Another thing I think is screwing with my adderall...is I just don't have any structure or productive things to sink my teeth into right now in life. No job, no real hobbies, no school. I'm just living a very dull life and so I'm not giving the meds anything to work with if that makes any sense.

I don't know, but I am fairly frustrated at this point. As far as my add symptoms go...I'm worse than I have been in MANY years.

I sure do miss having my adderall work. It was like a light switch flicking on.
I do think it helps wake me up a bit sometimes...like a small cup of coffee, but then I don't get much of anything it seems after that.

Little Nut
01-23-17, 12:00 PM

A lot of times I just don't start the day with all the concentration and energy as I need to get things done, which is when I would take some meds. So most of the time I'm not on my meds except for when I really need them. Ironically now when I really need them they make it worse.

Hey You Idiot, I figured that and thanks. It also could be fun when YOU close posts.

Sorry, can't offer any guidance on the meds having a negative impact on symptoms other than to discontinue and talk to your Doc. Lack of results with net searches probably means it isn't common. My "guess" is interaction w/ other drugs/nutrients/diet or a medical condition. GL Sorting This Out, LN

YouIdiot
01-23-17, 05:32 PM
Well, the real difference in my life has been an easing of my schedule, I've become less busy, and my sleeping and organization has suffered as a result. I was getting more done before with less sleep and I'd just catch up where I could. I had more energy, now I sleep more but don't get my energy until 7-8pm. I keep taking melatonin around 12:30-1:30 am to try to get myself to wake up in the AM.

When I wake up in the morning, I have a brief bout of high energy, but it gives way to below normal functioning around 2 hrs after I've woken up.

Yeah, I feel your pain. It's nice knowing that at least something you can do will snap you out of the nonsense and get you going. It's really troubling when not only does it not work anymore, it does the opposite of what it's supposed to.

I think my problem might be due to the following:
a.) taking too much melatonin
b.) poor sleep, even if I am logging more hours asleep
c.) I also log a LOT of computer time, I wonder if this is fatiguing my mind to the point where it just shuts down when I consume stimulants

Optimist25
01-23-17, 11:41 PM
Well...that was a bit rude wasn't it?

lol :lol:

:yes:

I so relate with this with my adderall. I find a dose that worked for me and it was day and night from when I didn't take it.
But me being me, I stopped taking it for several months, and when I got put back on it (same dose)...it's stopped giving me much like it use to. I too get really tired it seems on it as well...like I'll take it, and 30 minutes later I'll be ready for a nap (though to be fair, I'm pretty much constantly tired anymore...and sometimes it does the opposite, and actually helps me wake up a bit).

Have any of your other meds changed? Are you taking anything new?

My doc has me on a couple new mood stabilizers which I think very well may be affecting my adderall (she wants to focus on my bipolar meds before working on my add meds...I'm in complete agreement on this).

Another thing I think is screwing with my adderall...is I just don't have any structure or productive things to sink my teeth into right now in life. No job, no real hobbies, no school. I'm just living a very dull life and so I'm not giving the meds anything to work with if that makes any sense.

I don't know, but I am fairly frustrated at this point. As far as my add symptoms go...I'm worse than I have been in MANY years.

I sure do miss having my adderall work. It was like a light switch flicking on.
I do think it helps wake me up a bit sometimes...like a small cup of coffee, but then I don't get much of anything it seems after that.

I can't overstate the importance of the bolded paragraph and how relevant it is to having energy and motivation to accomplish daily tasks (and have general mental/physical well-being).
Whether you have ADD/ADHD or not (or are medicated or not), not having structure or clear goals each day (both the short term and long term goals) is recipe for apathy, stagnation, and eventually just a dull, listless depression that can go on seemingly endlessly.
The bizarre paradox of this scenario is that it feels like you desperately need stimulants to get out of the rut in order to establish goals and move on (like you felt they used to help you do) but in reality it's the other way around - you need to first establish goals which require effort and also provide you with much needed structure. That's when you really notice how much stimulant medication can help you.

Don't obsess about your medication's effectiveness if you're ignoring the basics (goals, structure, healthy habits, etc.) because no change in dose or medication will help with such an unproductive routine. In fact, this obsession on medication will only distract you from fixing your routine and allow you to continue to be stuck in a rut.

The medication will work. Just focus on the getting basics right first.

C15H25N3O
01-24-17, 07:40 AM
Great comment.

Let me add that my opinion about the bolded paragraph is it expresses a palliative
treatment which I also experience from amphetamines and they sometimes dont
help to get healthy relationship with oneself.

I know you guys have a different definition about substance abuse (legal/illegal)
but I abuse a substance to feel fake-better while malfunctioning.

A fake kind of state of happiness, satisfaction and reward for achieving nothing.
Now I am prescribed to Sativex and I function better than with Vyvanse, Ritalin
and Dex.

Sativex improves my will to achieve goals, activates me, motivates me and makes
me simply function.

If someone thinks Sativex or medical cannabis is comparable to street weed (s)he
should also see medical amphetamines like ice or methamphetamine.

Bluedasher
01-25-17, 01:27 PM
I have had a similar experience with Adderall. Started with IR 10mg and didn't feel anything. 15mg made me sleepy and tired. 20mg seemed to be the sweet spot. But now it's very hit or miss as well. Sometimes it works well. Sometimes it makes me sleepy and seems to encourages zoning out. Thing is unlike in your case, increasing my dose definitely helped. Tried 30mg once and it worked well. No euphoria or detrimental physical side effects or speedy feelings I felt pretty calm and just clear headed so I can't see it being too high a dose personally. Nevertheless I'm already self-conscious and nervous about nearing the maximum single Adderall dosage so I just let that remain a one-day experiment and went back to my 20mg for the time being. We will see what my doc advises. I may switch meds haven't decided yet.

Letching Gray
01-27-17, 12:48 AM
The propaganda Breggin offers here will be easily dismissed by the scientific and clinical professional communities as having nothing to add to the important issues related to understanding and managing ADHD. But to the lay reader, such misguidance as Breggin provides in Talking Back to Ritalin can do real harm. Breggin literally encourages parents of ADHD and developmentally disordered children to turn away from the established fields of pediatrics, psychiatry, and psychology and the professionals who practice within them. Instead, Breggin instructs parents to seek outdated, unscientific, and ineffective pop-psychological views of disorders and their treatment. What was so dismaying to me as a professional by the end of the book was the knowledge that Dr. Breggin took an oath as a physician to "first, do no harm." In my opinion, his book has violated that sacred oath. Russ Barkley

There is no peer reviewed, published data, found in respected medical journals, that proves that medication taken to treat ADHD as prescribed causes any long term damage.

"Several judges have questioned Breggin's credibility as an expert witness. For example, a Maryland judge in a medical malpractice case in 1995 said, "I believe that his bias in this case is blinding ... he was mistaken in a lot of the factual basis for which he expressed his opinion."[41] In that same year a Virginia judge excluded Breggin's testimony stating, "This court finds that the evidence of Peter Breggin, as a purported expert, fails nearly all particulars under the standard set forth in Daubert and its progeny.... Simply put, the Court believes that Dr. Breggin's opinions do not rise to the level of an opinion based on 'good science.'" Wikipedia

“Dr. Breggin’s observations are totally without credibility. I can almost declare him, I guess from statements that floor me, to say the he’s a fraud or at least approaching that. He has made some outrageous statements and written outrageous books and which he says he has now withdrawn and his thinking is different. He’s untrained. He’s a member of no hospital staff. He has not since medical school participated in any studies to support his conclusions except maybe one. . . . I can’t place any credence or credibility in what he has to recommend in this case.” — Judge James W. Rice in Schellinger v. Schellinger, No. 93-FA-939-763 (Milwaukee County Circuit Court, 1997)

sarahsweets
01-27-17, 05:41 AM
I have had a similar experience with Adderall. Started with IR 10mg and didn't feel anything. 15mg made me sleepy and tired. 20mg seemed to be the sweet spot. But now it's very hit or miss as well. Sometimes it works well. Sometimes it makes me sleepy and seems to encourages zoning out. Thing is unlike in your case, increasing my dose definitely helped. Tried 30mg once and it worked well. No euphoria or detrimental physical side effects or speedy feelings I felt pretty calm and just clear headed so I can't see it being too high a dose personally. Nevertheless I'm already self-conscious and nervous about nearing the maximum single Adderall dosage so I just let that remain a one-day experiment and went back to my 20mg for the time being. We will see what my doc advises. I may switch meds haven't decided yet.
What is your total daily dosage that you are worried about reaching the maximum?

AshleyTheo
02-02-17, 01:30 PM
What proof do you have? Because your e-book isnt proof. Its this kind of fear mongering and misinformation that scares people away from treatment. I have been on stimulants for over 15 years.

Hi, This page does have numerous links validating my claims: http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSnquqqEHtFyBAtGrEzmpBz%25c Snquq-zrqvpnGvBA-Fvqr-rssrpGF%25cS Just because someone has been, for example, smoking for 15 years and loves their cigarettes does not prove tobacco is beneficial for all. Real science says otherwise, please do validate. There are effective drug-free solutions to feeling better and improving focus and cognition. I know no one will believe me, but I have put the research in my ebook. Many people including myself have cured ADHD permanently, the proof is there for anyone interested in quitting addictive substances that make people feel great for the short-term at the cost of worsening depression, etc without drugs in the long-run despite increasing drug doses. For example, see this significant study which has found that psycho-stimulant medication exposure diminishes the ability of the brain to retain dopamine - a neurotransmitter responsible for our ability to feel pleasure and motivation: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11060940 (http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11060940)Another study has confirmed that even after 1 year of stimulant exposure, the brain loses the ability to naturally retain dopamine by up to 24%. Here (http://www.healthline.com/health-news/mental-long-term-adhd-medications-increase-dopamine-transporters-051613), the researches state: "“upregulation of dopamine transporter availability during long-term treatment with methylphenidate may decrease treatment efficacy and exacerbate symptoms while not under the effects of the medication.”
It is a lie adhd drugs normalize people whose brains don't have enough dopamine, the drugs improve the conditon only short-term at the cost of making it worse and worse in the long-run, causing dependency, addiction in people who appear to need increasing drug doses, giving increasing business to the ADHD drug companies that have promoted lies. Infuriates me how many children are pushed into this by misinformed parents, please do check out the facts.

cobain67
02-04-17, 08:06 PM
In this case, of dopamine desensitization, are the effects permanent or do you regain normalcy after time upon discontinuing meds?

Hi, This page does have numerous links validating my claims: http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSnquqqEHtFyBAtGrEzmpBz%25c Snquq-zrqvpnGvBA-Fvqr-rssrpGF%25cS Just because someone has been, for example, smoking for 15 years and loves their cigarettes does not prove tobacco is beneficial for all. Real science says otherwise, please do validate. There are effective drug-free solutions to feeling better and improving focus and cognition. I know no one will believe me, but I have put the research in my ebook. Many people including myself have cured ADHD permanently, the proof is there for anyone interested in quitting addictive substances that make people feel great for the short-term at the cost of worsening depression, etc without drugs in the long-run despite increasing drug doses. For example, see this significant study which has found that psycho-stimulant medication exposure diminishes the ability of the brain to retain dopamine - a neurotransmitter responsible for our ability to feel pleasure and motivation: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11060940 (http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11060940)Another study has confirmed that even after 1 year of stimulant exposure, the brain loses the ability to naturally retain dopamine by up to 24%. Here (http://www.healthline.com/health-news/mental-long-term-adhd-medications-increase-dopamine-transporters-051613), the researches state: "“upregulation of dopamine transporter availability during long-term treatment with methylphenidate may decrease treatment efficacy and exacerbate symptoms while not under the effects of the medication.”
It is a lie adhd drugs normalize people whose brains don't have enough dopamine, the drugs improve the conditon only short-term at the cost of making it worse and worse in the long-run, causing dependency, addiction in people who appear to need increasing drug doses, giving increasing business to the ADHD drug companies that have promoted lies. Infuriates me how many children are pushed into this by misinformed parents, please do check out the facts.

Nefarious
02-26-17, 02:22 PM
Hi, This page does have numerous links validating my claims: http://app.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSnquqqEHtFyBAtGrEzmpBz%25c Snquq-zrqvpnGvBA-Fvqr-rssrpGF%25cS For example, see this significant study which has found that psycho-stimulant medication exposure diminishes the ability of the brain to retain dopamine - a neurotransmitter responsible for our ability to feel pleasure and motivation: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11060940 (http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11060940)Another study has confirmed that even after 1 year of stimulant exposure, the brain loses the ability to naturally retain dopamine by up to 24%. Here (http://www.healthline.com/health-news/mental-long-term-adhd-medications-increase-dopamine-transporters-051613), the researches state: "“upregulation of dopamine transporter availability during long-term treatment with methylphenidate may decrease treatment efficacy and exacerbate symptoms while not under the effects of the medication.”
Actually that study says that people who take ADHD stimulants have a higher amount of the dopamine transport protein which is responsible for the reuptake and release of dopamine than individuals who have never taken stimulants, the 'naive' individuals have even less dopamine transport proteins so have less dopamine to release, not that the brain looses the ability to retain dopamine, it appears that it improves retaintion too much . The dopamine transport protein doesn't just remove dopamine but releases it as well and it was specifically talking about methylphenidate(ritalin and the like which only blocks reuptake, Adderall(dexo/lexoamphetamine) on the other hand blocks reuptake and causes dopamine transport proteins to release dopamine as well so it could have a different effect.