View Full Version : Anxious about medications

SouthOfNowhere
01-21-17, 04:27 PM
I'm going to see a doctor this coming week to finally get formally diagnosed as an adult. I was previously diagnosed in the 6th grade, but never got treated... long story.

My biggest hesitation to formally get diagnosed is that I'm a bit nervous about medication. One of my closest friends growing up had ADHD and was prescribed Ritalin. When he was on it, he was a very repressed version of himself: very quiet, introverted and overall very docile. It seemed like he was basically two very different people. I don't want to be like that. I want to be able to focus, to motivate myself, to be organized and to remember things better, but I don't want it to come at the expense of feeling my personality becoming repressed. I also don't want something that I become dependent on. If I don't wind up taking it for a day or two, I don't want to deal with withdrawals or anything like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking things. That's pretty much the reason why I'm posting this, just to get feedback on what I should avoid, what I should ask for, etc.

jkimbo
01-21-17, 04:45 PM
Ask for adderall.

sarahsweets
01-22-17, 05:22 AM
The "zombie" effect is a fear that people have that isnt all that accurate. Usually that is a result of the wrong dose or wrong medication. I have three kids with adhd and myself and my husband. The kids all seemed zombie like on ritalin- but amphetamines worked well for them. My husband used to take ritalin and did really well. For me, ritalin gave me mood swings and aggravated my bipolar, but adderall is great.