View Full Version : Experiences switching from Concerta to Adderall XR?

PaulCamR
01-21-17, 10:48 PM
Adderall question here in relation to length, efficacy, dosage, type, and switching from Concerta. My doctor said if Concerta doesn't work for me, the next step is to try Adderall XR. She said to Concerta at least a week, and to check in with her by the end of the 30 days.

I'm two days into Concerta 36mg. It's very much so-so, so far.. I will be giving it a full 7 days to make a more definite judgment though. I'm not concerned about how it 'feels' so much as side-effects, benefits, treatment, etc. I have noticed it has helped me follow through with goals better, but it's just very barely working. Absolutely better than nothing, I can say that. No side effects noticed so far, maybe slight anxiety but much less anxiety in the day overall due to actually getting to do my work.

Since I'm not covered by medical, I'm wondering what options I should look at with my doctor on the Adderall side (assuming I decide Concerta isn't helping adequately). I realize there is a concern about abuse, and even though I don't intend to abuse Adderall, my doctor may be cautious.

What I'm wondering is if taking Adderall IR (one pill broken into quarters) four times in a day is equivalent to taking Adderall XR. I am certain there would be definite differences.

One concern I have is making sure my medication lasts a full 12 hours, or as close to that as possible (and not over that). I find 4-5 hours that Concerta seems to last for just is not adequate in length.

sarahsweets
01-22-17, 05:09 AM
Adderall Ir isnt meant to last more than 4 hours, and xr 6-8 hours. I take xr and I get about 5. So I take adderall xr three times a day. You would need multiple doses of either med in order to get 12 hours of coverage.

PaulCamR
01-22-17, 05:18 AM
Adderall Ir isnt meant to last more than 4 hours, and xr 6-8 hours. I take xr and I get about 5. So I take adderall xr three times a day. You would need multiple doses of either med in order to get 12 hours of coverage.

Very unfortunate on the short 5 hour length! :( Thanks for the input.

Seems in Canada without coverage, it's difficult to cover a regular day on certain meds. IR isn't available here I discovered. Two Adderall XR's would cost about $6/day which is really... a lot.

I'm thinking too far ahead since I haven't ruled out Concerta, and a Ritalin booster is cheap with Concerta at least. It just... doesn't seem to do much, 2 days in. Lasts about 4 hours, very mild benefits.