View Full Version : Just started medication, effects are minimal

jbradindaghetto
01-22-17, 01:06 AM
I was recently prescribed methylphenidate. It's the first time in 13 years that I'm treating my ADHD medically. I have immediate release, and take 10mg at breakfast time and lunch. I wait an hour after taking it to eat. When I was thirteen, I took concerta for two weeks and the effects were drastic. I turned into a sort of zombie and stopped taking it after my two week trial. This time I barely feel any effect at all. The one thing I have noticed is that I can control my eating WAY more, until it wears off in the evening, and I am just slightly calmer/less fidgety during conversation.
From the collective experience here, is this normal? Does it sound like a higher dose is needed, or possibly a different medication?

Johnny Slick
01-22-17, 01:32 AM
It's not supposed to make you feel like a zombie, no. The medication, I think, should get there just enough to make your ADHD habits controllable. You may need to up the dosage down the line as your body gets used to it but I'm not sure that what you're describing is *bad* per se. My own experience is that it changes me personality a *little* inasmuch as I don't blurt stupid crap out as much and I don't get quite so impatient at meetings and the like, but those to me are not bad things, not by a longshot.

Greyhound1
01-22-17, 01:37 AM
I was recently prescribed methylphenidate. It's the first time in 13 years that I'm treating my ADHD medically. I have immediate release, and take 10mg at breakfast time and lunch. I wait an hour after taking it to eat. When I was thirteen, I took concerta for two weeks and the effects were drastic. I turned into a sort of zombie and stopped taking it after my two week trial. This time I barely feel any effect at all. The one thing I have noticed is that I can control my eating WAY more, until it wears off in the evening, and I am just slightly calmer/less fidgety during conversation.
From the collective experience here, is this normal? Does it sound like a higher dose is needed, or possibly a different medication?

Welcome to the forum. How's it working for you on other symptoms like focus, attention span, anxiety etc? How many days have you been on it?

Fraser_0762
01-22-17, 04:35 AM
It could be that methylphenidate just isn't for you. People who have that kind of response to methylphenidate tend to do better with amphetamines.

jbradindaghetto
01-22-17, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely not aiming for the zombie feeling, just a bit more of the focus associated with it.
I've only been on it for a few days, and I'll be meeting with my doctor to reassess in a week and a half. For the most part, when trying to read I just don't feel a difference. Even this reply took like 40 minutes, and I kept finding myself looking at news and Facebook. I know it isn't supposed to give me magic powers, but I having some control over my brain's direction seems like a pretty magical idea to me at this point.