View Full Version : Can you buy Ritalin in the UK Chemists?

blartyfarty9
01-22-17, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone,

We've just moved back to UK from Sweden, worked there for 5 years and was diagnosed with ADHD last year....Such a relief....

Ive run out of Ritalin and the local GP can't book me in till a fortnight to register and then apparently wait for my diagnostic medical files to come from Sweden, so this is going to be a nightmare meltdowns!!!!!!!!

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN JUST BUY RITALIN FROM A CHEMIST?
IVE GOT MY OLD CARTON WITH NAME BUT ITS IN SWEDISH...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

namazu
01-22-17, 02:39 PM
I'm not 100% certain how substances like Ritalin are dispensed in the UK, but I am almost certain that you would need a valid, current prescription from a licensed clinician.

I don't think you can simply walk into the chemist's with an old bottle from a different country and request a refill.

Hopefully some of our UK members will correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope you're able to get your new appointment soon!

Fraser_0762
01-22-17, 03:14 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are very strict restrictions on drugs of this class in the UK. It's not like it is in some other western countries where you merely turn up at your local dispenser and purchase them. You'll need a valid prescription.

midnightstar
01-22-17, 03:20 PM
As Fraser said, you need a prescription to get anything that's not OTC.

Fuzzy12
01-22-17, 03:35 PM
You could try phoning 111 for advice or you might get help from a gp in a walk in centre.

You definitely won't be able to get ritalin without a valid prescription but you might be able to get a prescription from a walk in centre gp if you can show some paperwork from your swedish psychiatrist.

My gut feeling is thigh tgat you'll have to jump through a lot of hoops first

blartyfarty9
01-22-17, 05:08 PM
Thank you for the replies, I will contact GP first thing in morning, dreading the rollercoaster, I've been on them a year and I once ran out for 3 days and it was awful I've managed to find old psychiatric reports and the diagnostic assessment findings report. Hopefully that should be enough, but I've noticed how difficult it is to get a diagnostic here in UK so understand it might take a few weeks....arghhh!

Fuzzy12
01-22-17, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the replies, I will contact GP first thing in morning, dreading the rollercoaster, I've been on them a year and I once ran out for 3 days and it was awful I've managed to find old psychiatric reports and the diagnostic assessment findings report. Hopefully that should be enough, but I've noticed how difficult it is to get a diagnostic here in UK so understand it might take a few weeks....arghhh!

The other option would be to go private if that's affordable. You'll still need a referral from your gp but it would be quicker than having to wait for an nhs psychiatrist.