View Full Version : Vyvanse/Ritalin: insurance woes

SpEdteachADDmom
01-23-17, 12:58 PM
My 12 year old daughter has been taking Vyvanse for about 6 months now, with a booster of Ritalin in the afternoons to get her through homework, chores, etc. She's done well on both, but on Friday I went to fill the prescriptions and the Vyvanse went from $56 a month to almost $250! My ex-husband (who carries health insurance on her) neglected to tell me that his prescription plan changed so now I'm stressing. She has a "meds check" tomorrow with her pediatrician so I was wondering about extended release Ritalin (since apparently it's cheap - only $16 out of pocket). Is this available in generic form? I'm assuming that the Vyvanse is so expensive because it's not available in generic. If it isn't available, is there a generic that you feel is comparable to Vyvanse? I would like to go into the pediatrician as informed as I can tomorrow. She's wonderful, and very willing to answer my questions, I just don't want to have so many when we go in tomorrow afternoon. We're usually her last patients. :)

Thanks in advance!