View Full Version : Seeing a psychiatrist

ExitMyReality88
01-23-17, 03:57 PM
Hi all,

I will be speaking to a psychiatrist soon about psychological assessments for ADD-PI.
I spoke to my mother briefly about how I did academically when I was in elementary school and onwards (as I have practically no recollection of it myself) she said that I faltered in school due to my older sister performing better/faster academically then me when we entered elementary school and that I "never got over it". Should I ask my mother more indepth questions? ... because I know she would never come in for an interview. My sister said that she would be willing too though, if needed.

Little Missy
01-23-17, 04:08 PM
Unless you're a minor, I believe it is best to go by yourself.

Johnny Slick
01-23-17, 05:55 PM
Yeah, honestly I think the chances of getting closure with your parents on this is low. Sorry. They had 18 years to get you diagnosed and they didn't. Unless you think they have their own issues they had to deal with that caused them to not see yours, and they've fixed those, I think it may be too much to expect.

I mean, don't get me wrong.... you can always talk to them about it if you want to, and maybe it would be helpful just to let them know (if nothing else, ADHD has a big old genetic factor to it), but I would not go into any conversation like that expecting them to apologize or even understand what ADHD means to you.

ExitMyReality88
01-23-17, 07:18 PM
Thank you both for your responses.

I will go alone. I was just reading that an extensive record/history of how you performed academically and otherwise as a child is preferable to the doctors. It will be difficult to shed light on that since my memory from childhood is pretty scarce. I'm currently 28 years old.

Johnny Slick
01-23-17, 07:24 PM
My experience, which is admittedly limited compared to others' here, I am sure, is that you'll cover a lot of this stuff with your therapist themselves: why it is you don't remember a lot from that period of time, who you might think about contacting to get better info about it (perhaps your parents, maybe not), maybe even some more things you didn't even realize you didn't know about but now want to (most recently my psychiatrist got me interested in thinking about my dad's history, for instance). The only thing I can really tell you for sure is that you will very likely have no idea where your therapy will take you except that it'll probably touch everything eventually.

In some ways I think it's probably detrimental to over prepare for a session; I know that we as ADHDers really like to be in control of things as much as possible and so there's a real allure to go into each session with an agenda you want to speak to. Instead, what I would recommend doing is approach each one with an open mind, not knowing *what* you want to talk about but at the same time being prepared to answer any question you are asked.

ExitMyReality88
01-23-17, 07:39 PM
My experience, which is admittedly limited compared to others' here, I am sure, is that you'll cover a lot of this stuff with your therapist themselves: why it is you don't remember a lot from that period of time, who you might think about contacting to get better info about it (perhaps your parents, maybe not), maybe even some more things you didn't even realize you didn't know about but now want to (most recently my psychiatrist got me interested in thinking about my dad's history, for instance). The only thing I can really tell you for sure is that you will very likely have no idea where your therapy will take you except that it'll probably touch everything eventually.

In some ways I think it's probably detrimental to over prepare for a session; I know that we as ADHDers really like to be in control of things as much as possible and so there's a real allure to go into each session with an agenda you want to speak to. Instead, what I would recommend doing is approach each one with an open mind, not knowing *what* you want to talk about but at the same time being prepared to answer any question you are asked.

Yes, I feel like my issue when going into the session is that I know I will forget what I want to say. I feel the strong need to make a detailed list of everything that I am feeling/have felt/etc and how it has negatively impacted my life. So I am hoping it is more of the psychiatrist asking the questions and me responding to it--I feel like that will help with recall on similiar topics.

namazu
01-23-17, 11:29 PM
Yes, I feel like my issue when going into the session is that I know I will forget what I want to say. I feel the strong need to make a detailed list of everything that I am feeling/have felt/etc and how it has negatively impacted my life.
That's a totally reasonable thing to do -- make a list and bring it with you so that you can refer to it if you draw a blank. Especially for an intake session.