View Full Version : Should I get diagnosed if I don't want medication?

cuppycakes
01-24-17, 02:29 AM
(Sorry if I use any wrong terminology. I will be using ADHD for an umbrella term.)
Let's get this out of the way. I don't know if I have ADHD or not. All I know is that when I see a list of "you might have ADHD if..." I can relate to most of them, and most resources that are meant to help people with ADHD will help me, too. (For example, I'm a huge fan of "how to ADHD" on youtube, her videos have helped me A LOT, or if I need a productivity app I will look up "productivity apps for ADHD" because I know I might be inclined to stick to it better.) I just notice quite a few similarities between myself and what I've heard ADHD looks like.
Unfortunately, I don't want to be on medication. I can actually manage most things pretty well on my own (maybe not cleaning my room, but that's another story), and I want to get better in my own way. Depression and anxiety has been something that I've dealt with for years, and I just recently got off of my medication for that. I don't want to start a new one. I still live at home, I'm 19, and my mom doesn't want me to go on any medication for it, either.

I guess the real question I'm asking is this: are there any benefits of being diagnosed with ADHD if I'm not going on medication?

There's no real reason (in my mind) why I should, but I'm just so curious and I want to know from other people who are diagnosed, and are well-versed. As of now, I just recognize that I have some of the same tendencies or behaviors. I'm worried if I do get a diagnosis that some of the stigmas may be attached to me, and I'm worried if I don't get diagnosed that something... else will happen? I don't even know what I'm thinking! This is why I need a second opinion.
If there are any resources that you think I could benefit from on the forum, I will accept those as well. Thank you.

Note: I don't think medication is bad. It's just not for me at this point in my life right now. In fact, I've always had a very positive experience with prescribed medications.

Fuzzy12
01-24-17, 03:39 AM
Yes, I think you should get assesses for several reasons:

1. It would be good to rule out other issues thst might be causing your symptoms

2. There are other method so treatment such as cbt, etc even if they aren't jecrssarily as effective without medication

3. A few years down the line if you do want meds it will be easier when you've got a diagnosis.

4. For me it was a relief to be diagnosed and to finally know what was causing my issues

5. You are already employing adhd friendly strategies to help you but that would have been another reason for me.

kilted_scotsman
01-24-17, 06:27 AM
For me..... just being diagnosed was a significant part of the process of learning to live with ADHD.

It meant I could say to people..... I am not like you in certain ways, so don't try to put me in a box that doesn't fit.

It was also the beginning of self-compassion..... there is a reason I find some things difficult and other things easy, a reason why I don't connect with most people.

It gave me a sense of choice about how to approach the process of change and what to prioritise. For me, learning to improve my ability to handle interpersonal stuff, how to read people and modulate my reactions was important.

I used meds for a short time before cardiac issues contra-indicated their use..... so I was glad I'd begun the non-med stuff like therapy and self-enquiry.

sarahsweets
01-24-17, 06:37 AM
Of course there are benefits- #1 being you know what your issues are. You cant work on them if you dont know what they are regardless of whether you want to take medication.

Fraser_0762
01-24-17, 07:08 AM
As others have said, there is more to the diagnosis than merely seeking out medication. Helping to understand yourself and your difficulties for one thing and understanding why they occur. Not to mention alternative treatment routes that will open up to you.

Little Nut
01-24-17, 11:24 AM
Do you have any issues/problems/concerns that you consider unacceptable to you? Hint: The answer requires alot of objective personal analysis and introspection. If the answer is yes, determine alternatives to resolving and this may include diagnosis/treatment or may not. If the answer is not really, then don't worry about it.

If you are adamant that you will not be treated for ADHD, I see only downside to being formally diagnosed. That doesn't mean you shouldn't research and study the issue. HTH, -LN

GoalieMel33
01-24-17, 11:55 AM
Practically, in addition to what has been mentioned already, you could get accommodations at school or work. If you eventually seek help from a therapist or coach, it might also make it easier for them to build a more customized plan for you since they know your difficulties (instead of ''one-size-fits-all'' based interventions).

Drewbacca
01-24-17, 03:31 PM
It's always best to know from an objective source.. it's a bonus that they may have some great suggestions that don't involve any medication. Having the paper trail could come in handy if you ever need some sort of accommodation.

cuppycakes
04-24-17, 04:22 PM
I didn't reply to any of these because I was kind of mulling it over, I guess (though, by now, you've probably all forgotten about this post, I didn't. Your claims did not fall on deaf ears). Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I think I'm going to see a doctor this summer (。・w・。`)

Pihlaja
05-15-17, 05:22 AM
I've been wondering about this too. Is it okay to ask my questions in this thread or do I need to start one of my own?

aur462
05-15-17, 08:15 PM
I've been wondering about this too. Is it okay to ask my questions in this thread or do I need to start one of my own?

Start a new thread.