View Full Version : Multiple Vyvanse doses

jacount
01-24-17, 04:51 PM
My doc recently prescribed me a second Vyvanse dose to take to try to get it to last all day. Right now I've been taking the first dose of 40mg between 9 and 10 AM, and the second one of 20 mg 2.5-3.5 hours after that. It seems to be working ok most of the time, but now and then the second dose doesn't really help much and I end up having issues getting things done after 3-4 PM.

Has anyone tried taking the smaller dose first, and the second one later? If that works, would the timings be about the same?

Thanks.

dvdnvwls
01-24-17, 05:32 PM
Talk to your doctor... Maybe 30+30 would work better for you than 40+20.

jacount
01-24-17, 05:52 PM
I did bring it up to her, and she said it would be fine as long as it doesnt affect my sleep.

We may try adjusting the doses, but she wants to try this combination for the next month or two and go from there.

I was more curious if after having 40mg as my morning dose for a while if taking the 20 first would not really do much and be a waste.

Fraser_0762
01-24-17, 06:07 PM
It's a bit of a trade off really. The second dose is more about making the withdrawal from the first dose go more smoothly. If you take more on your second dose than on your first, then sleep could become a potential issue.

sarahsweets
01-28-17, 08:33 AM
Vyvanse is supposed to last 12 hours but it didnt for me and I would bet that it doesnt for most. For me it lasted 8 hours so I had a dex booster to go with it. I have absorption issues so thankfully I didnt have to stay on vyvanse very long before going back to adderall and dex.

jacount
02-02-17, 04:45 PM
My doc just got my results back from a genetic test to see how I metabolize different meds. Seems I am a fast metabolizer of any amphetamine based drug so she wasn't surprised I was having issues with the duration.

I did try swapping my doses for a few days, and it seems I have to be very careful with the time between doses. A few times the first one wore off and it took 3-4 hours for the next one to kick in.

It seems if I went that route, 2 hours in between was the longest that would work but to me it wasn't worth it so Im back to the 40mg dose first followed by the 20mg booster.

Now I just need to hit my insurance deductible so Im not spending $400 a month on it.