View Full Version : Stimulants and antihistamines

maple17
01-25-17, 12:54 AM
Just an in general question. I keep meaning to ask either the pharmacist or pediatrician, but I forget.

My daughter is taking Vyvanse (30mg). She goes on school trips and there's always about a dozen forms to fill out...do you consent to acetominophen being administered? Cough drops? Sunscreen? Etc.

One of the questions asks if I consent to antihistamines. I always tick "No" just because I'm not sure what ones they would provide and how it would react with her Vyvanse. Overreacting or is this not anything to worry about? She hasn't taken an antihistamine since she started on the medication.

sarahsweets
01-26-17, 05:26 AM
You would have to ask a professional but off the top of my head...these would only be given to her for an allergic reaction right? So the likelihood of her actually requiring them seems low.

C15H25N3O
01-26-17, 11:48 AM
Anti-histamines can make a cushing-syndrome as side-effect. Take care!

maple17
01-27-17, 06:17 PM
Thanks. Good thing I went with my instinct and checked no on the forms. I will double check with the paediatrician at the next appointment.

She has never had any antihistamines since she started the medication. She doesn't usually suffer from allergies aside from spring hay fever and it wasn't much of an issue this past spring as we never really had one in Melbourne. It was more like 6 months of winter and straight into summer.

I will advise the school (again) no antihistamines and tell my daughter that she must not request them. I think for the purposes of the camping trip, they would only be administered in case of an allergic reaction as Sarah said, so likely it'll never come up.

sarahsweets
01-28-17, 08:35 AM
Thanks. Good thing I went with my instinct and checked no on the forms. I will double check with the paediatrician at the next appointment.

She has never had any antihistamines since she started the medication. She doesn't usually suffer from allergies aside from spring hay fever and it wasn't much of an issue this past spring as we never really had one in Melbourne. It was more like 6 months of winter and straight into summer.

I will advise the school (again) no antihistamines and tell my daughter that she must not request them. I think for the purposes of the camping trip, they would only be administered in case of an allergic reaction as Sarah said, so likely it'll never come up.

Just double check and maybe alter the form to "severe allergic reaction only"? This way if she like, gets swallowed by a bee hive they can care for her but wont hand it out for some kind of off label use like sleep.

maple17
01-30-17, 12:37 AM
Thanks, Sarah. Will do!