View Full Version : How much do you sleep?

Fuzzy12
01-25-17, 06:54 AM
I think I sleep too much but I'm a till always tired.

These days I usually go to bed between midnight and 1am and then get up around 9.30am but I get up at least once to feed fuzzling so I sleep between 5.5 and 7h.

Very rarely nap in the day.

Curious how much others sleep, do you nap and do you feel rested?

stef
01-25-17, 07:14 AM
I go to bed "technically" at 11:30 pm but it's more like almost midnight;
and I'm up at 5:50, (because it takes me about 10 years to get ready for work...) so six hours, which is never *quite* enough; but then I just cant sleep more than 7 hours, it's physically impossible.

I nap in the afternoon whenever I'm home, 1 or 1.5 hours :)

Unmanagable
01-25-17, 12:26 PM
I used to work full-time rotating shift work and had the craziest sleep schedule ever. I'd need at least 8-10 hours to be able to even think about functioning with some semblance of balance, which was impossible to get more often than not due to also being a f/t stepmom of two very active kids, taking college classes, and trying to be the good wife and daughter and such to everyone else who had (what I viewed to be) the luxury of a "normal" schedule. I never felt rested, always exhausted.

I fueled my body with a constant flow of super strong caffeine (begged for it intravenously at times), and mostly fast food on the run, many weekends at sit-down restaurants or calling for delivery, or quick convenient frozen foods, and felt like hell more often than not in so many ways, and my health went downhill in the most non-graceful and abrupt ways, and kept rapidly picking up speed.

In trying to get help, I was prescribed ambien and xanax to help with my supposed case of severe "insomnia" and overwhelming anxiety (after having a sleep study done that told me there was nothing observed out of the ordinary).

Eventually the amphetamines were also added for the supposed case of severe adhd to help get me and my brain "back on track" to focus better on priorities each day as I came out of the sleep/anxiety aid induced fog, and in between, some very unhelpful anti-depressants to supposedly smooth out the chemical imbalances to help "lift my moods and spirits" from all the heavy stress and such, which created a whole new flavor of hell to sort through while already under great pressure and feeling desperate for help. I never felt like I could sleep enough.

During and after those combined hellish experiences, and after finally resigning from the toxic workplace I spent 13 years in, and being free of shift work, I then slept as much as I humanly could, because it was as close to death as I could get without the commitment.

The drastic lifestyle changes I was propelled via the ER to dive into created conditions where I now sleep anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a night, typically getting in bed by no later than midnight (especially in the gardening months) and up no later than 7ish or 8ish, depending on the season, my levels of activity, my emotional well-being, and most especially, what I consumed throughout the day and how well it eliminates. I feel rested and have much more energy available to tap into, not that I always use it productively, or at all. lol

It felt pretty weird for a while, and I'd often wish like hell for a nap, especially to be able to avoid things at times, but my body wasn't having it. It feels like I learned how to be more in control of self and better able to connect many symptoms to actual causes that I could control without meds, but that's just my uneducated guess. lol Winter time has kindly afforded me more napping opportunities, so I still get to catch up on the ones I felt like I missed, and I really dig that.

Fraser_0762
01-25-17, 12:29 PM
I go to bed at 10pm... realize I haven't brushed my teeth by around 11 so get up to do that. Then go back to bed again. Toss and turn, flip the pillows over several hundred times throughout the night, wake up around 5 or 6 times. Have my alarm set for 6am, but don't get out of bed until around 7:30, which gives me about 15 minutes to catch the bus for college.

Fuzzy12
01-25-17, 02:10 PM
How do you get ready in 15min????:eek:

Fuzzy12
01-25-17, 02:11 PM
I used to work full-time rotating shift work and had the craziest sleep schedule ever. I'd need at least 8-10 hours to be able to even think about functioning with some semblance of balance, which was impossible to get more often than not due to also being a f/t stepmom of two very active kids, taking college classes, and trying to be the good wife and daughter and such to everyone else who had (what I viewed to be) the luxury of a "normal" schedule. I never felt rested, always exhausted.

I fueled my body with a constant flow of super strong caffeine (begged for it intravenously at times), and mostly fast food on the run, many weekends at sit-down restaurants or calling for delivery, or quick convenient frozen foods, and felt like hell more often than not in so many ways, and my health went downhill in the most non-graceful and abrupt ways, and kept rapidly picking up speed.

In trying to get help, I was prescribed ambien and xanax to help with my supposed case of severe "insomnia" and overwhelming anxiety (after having a sleep study done that told me there was nothing observed out of the ordinary).

Eventually the amphetamines were also added for the supposed case of severe adhd to help get me and my brain "back on track" to focus better on priorities each day as I came out of the sleep/anxiety aid induced fog, and in between, some very unhelpful anti-depressants to supposedly smooth out the chemical imbalances to help "lift my moods and spirits" from all the heavy stress and such, which created a whole new flavor of hell to sort through while already under great pressure and feeling desperate for help. I never felt like I could sleep enough.

During and after those combined hellish experiences, and after finally resigning from the toxic workplace I spent 13 years in, and being free of shift work, I then slept as much as I humanly could, because it was as close to death as I could get without the commitment.

The drastic lifestyle changes I was propelled via the ER to dive into created conditions where I now sleep anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a night, typically getting in bed by no later than midnight (especially in the gardening months) and up no later than 7ish or 8ish, depending on the season, my levels of activity, my emotional well-being, and most especially, what I consumed throughout the day and how well it eliminates. I feel rested and have much more energy available to tap into, not that I always use it productively, or at all. lol

It felt pretty weird for a while, and I'd often wish like hell for a nap, especially to be able to avoid things at times, but my body wasn't having it. It feels like I learned how to be more in control of self and better able to connect many symptoms to actual causes that I could control without meds, but that's just my uneducated guess. lol Winter time has kindly afforded me more napping opportunities, so I still get to catch up on the ones I felt like I missed, and I really dig that.

So are you saying that better nutrition and exercise have reduced the amount of sleep you need?

midnightstar
01-25-17, 02:24 PM
I normally sleep between 5 and 7 hours during the working week, weekends I manage to get about 8 hours, sometimes 9 but can't go above 9 hours :)

Johnny Slick
01-25-17, 02:31 PM
I feel like I've been getting a *little* more the past week (including actually getting 8ish Saturday night!) but it's been like 4-6 hours a night for the past 2 months or so.

Unmanagable
01-25-17, 02:41 PM
So are you saying that better nutrition and exercise have reduced the amount of sleep you need?

Pretty much, in addition to being able to leave the job I previously had, the various treatment and wellness methods I pursue, having the offspring grow up and leave the nest, deciding to stop the college classes that would have taken about 10ish years to finish (or so it felt), and moving to a wide open natural space surrounded by trees, running water, and a variety of wild life.

oldtimer
01-26-17, 10:05 AM
If you routinely get less than 7 hrs of sleep you greatly increase your Alzheimer's risk. The reason why all animals sleep, putting their lives at risk, is to remove waste products from your brain. If the waste isn't completely removed, it deposits on your brain. Eventually it gets thick enough to aggravate your brain. Antibodies are created and 'look' for something to attack. Instead to attacking the crust which is not alive the antibodies attack the only living cells in that area. Eventually enough of your brain is destroyed that you become a vegetable.

Johnny Slick
01-26-17, 10:26 AM
Welp, GREAT. As if I didn't have enough things to keep me awake at night, now I have the fact that I'm giving myself Alzheimer's by doing so!!!! :(

Fuzzy12
01-26-17, 01:42 PM
If you routinely get less than 7 hrs of sleep you greatly increase your Alzheimer's risk. The reason why all animals sleep, putting their lives at risk, is to remove waste products from your brain. If the waste isn't completely removed, it deposits on your brain. Eventually it gets thick enough to aggravate your brain. Antibodies are created and 'look' for something to attack. Instead to attacking the crust which is not alive the antibodies attack the only living cells in that area. Eventually enough of your brain is destroyed that you become a vegetable.
That's hilarious .. :lol:

Fraser_0762
01-26-17, 02:32 PM
How do you get ready in 15min????:eek:

I don't. Which is why I turn up to college looking the way I do. :eyebrow:

Bluedasher
01-26-17, 03:17 PM
I have college 8am-7pm on Mondays and Wednesdays but every other day of the week work a 5pm-3am shift. My problem is more sleep consistency. Some nights I'm asleep by midnight, other days 6am. I average about 7 hours of sleep, but super inconsistent.

Fuzzy12
01-26-17, 05:34 PM
I have college 8am-7pm on Mondays and Wednesdays but every other day of the week work a 5pm-3am shift. My problem is more sleep consistency. Some nights I'm asleep by midnight, other days 6am. I average about 7 hours of sleep, but super inconsistent.

That sounds tough!!!

aeon
01-26-17, 05:57 PM
Left to my own devices, in a “natural” state, I will sleep 7 hours.

Add in the effects of dextroamphetamine, its withdrawal, alcohol, caffeine, trazodone, mirtazapine, and so on, and who knows.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
01-26-17, 06:14 PM
I know! I know!

Enough so that I don't have to worry about the elimination of wastes building up on my brain leading to vegetably demention.

ToneTone
02-03-17, 01:24 PM
I sleep from 7 to 9 hours ... about 9 hours if I don't have to go to work ... 7 hours if I do have to go to work.

I have that seasonal affective disorder (SAD), and so I use a bright light visor and a light box to wake me up in the morning. Otherwise, even with lots of sleep in winter, I walk around feeling half awake ... Apparently the melatonin production doesn't shut off as it should in people with the seasonal affective disorder. That's my crude understanding.

Eight hours is a good amount of sleep, though some people need more. I have a close friend who had sleep apnea ... and didn't know it for the longest time. He could sleep 11 hours a day and still become sleepy during the day. My friend now sleeps with one of those apnea machines and sleeps a lot less than 11 hours and he feels far more energized. So you might wanna check to make sure you don't have apnea. Apea ruins sleep ... but you're not really conscious of it while sleeping.

Tone