View Full Version : St. John's wort making me less talkative and impulsive

castalia
01-25-17, 12:52 PM
I tried St. John's Wort back in 2009 and it made me less anxious, impulsive, and talkative. Basically I became more introverted but I kind of liked it that way as I tend to come across as intense without medication.
Has anyone had similar results with SJW or medication that increases serotonin? I took dopamine supplements (tyrosine, rhodiola) and although they made me more energetic (and talkative), they also gave me more anxiety and OCD.

Fraser_0762
01-25-17, 12:54 PM
I took a combination of St Johns Wort and 5HTP a while back, but was worried about Serotonin Syndrome, so just take 5HTP for my Serotonin boost. I take it at night though, as I find it helps me to unwind from my caffeine fueled days.

sarahsweets
01-27-17, 05:29 AM
People need to be careful with SJW and often people are not because its a supplement. If your depression isnt something related to seratonin, you can have some really bad reactions to it.

castalia
01-27-17, 04:05 PM
People need to be careful with SJW and often people are not because its a supplement. If your depression isnt something related to seratonin, you can have some really bad reactions to it.

True, true. The thing is that I have had success with it in the past. I hear it raises both dopamine and serotonin. For me, it tends to make me less obsessive and focused, which is what my primary problems are. A weird side effect has been weight loss. I am at a healthy weight but have lost 4 lbs in nearly 4 weeks on SJW.

Fraser_0762
01-27-17, 04:18 PM

Indeed. But the same must also be applied to prescription medications. As the first line of treatment for depression is an SSRI. I would say in most cases however that depression can be successfully treated with an SSRI or a suppliment directly involved in the biosynthesis of the serotonin neurotransmitters.

Both carry risks in situations where the underlining issues for the depression are not directly related to serotonin imbalance.

EuropeanADHD
01-30-17, 09:59 AM
Hi Castalia, could you please share how much you take? What are your experiences?

I've just bought the St. John's wort accessible in my country. It's 425 mg a pill and only one pill a day is to be taken.