View Full Version : Chronic Lateness

pnsinha
01-25-17, 01:45 PM
I have a hard time with sleeping early, so I get late for office. This happens almost every day. I have got frustrated with my behavior. As I work as a researcher independently with a University, there is no check on me. Any advice fellow ADDers.

aeon
01-25-17, 01:51 PM
use timers and alarms

adopt good sleep hygiene behaviors

get medicated, if need be

Cheers,
Ian

dvdnvwls
01-25-17, 02:57 PM
This may sound obvious, but you might try choosing a much earlier time to wake up and do that every day.

Fuzzy12
01-25-17, 03:28 PM
This used to be a huge problem for me as well. I was a postdoc so no one really bothered much when I showed up but I hated going so late and coming home late.

The only thing that helped was to line up things in the morning that I had to attend such as meetings.

Also, when I had a bit of morning routine (smoke and coffee first thing after arriving) that I really looked forward to that helped me a bit as well.

Little Nut
01-25-17, 03:32 PM
I have a hard time with sleeping early, so I get late for office. This happens almost every day. I have got frustrated with my behavior. As I work as a researcher independently with a University, there is no check on me. Any advice fellow ADDers.

Hey PN, wondering if you are unwilling to get up at the proper time and follow through preparing for and leaving for work or if you are truly unable to? Regards, -LN

PS Not some sort of snarky question.

Fraser_0762
01-25-17, 06:28 PM
I'm quite fortunate in that my time keeping when it comes to getting to places on time isn't that bad. I use what I call buffer. Which is basically giving myself extra time to get ready. If I need to get somewhere early in the morning, I make sure I have at least 2 hours of head room, even if I only need half an hour.

Another handy trick is to have a watch or something with the time set back by about 20-30 minutes. If you do everything based on the time of the watch, you'll hardly ever be late for anything!

Johnny Slick
01-25-17, 07:12 PM
I personally have a job where I don't really have a set start time. I still tend to go in a bit earlier than most people because the morning tends to be quieter and allows me to get a bit of work started (and also allows me to be working on stuff when the meds kick in so that no matter how distracting outside crap is , I can at least put in a solid 4 hours or so of work).

Your mileage, as always, may vary but it *sounds* like you also don't have a boss that's like "be here by 10am OR ELSE". Do you just prefer not to stay late (I admit, staying late is often a godsend too for me at least because, again, it's quiet)? Are your colleagues only available to work with at certain hours? I'd say "don't sweat it and just get up later" except that I don't really know the details of your job and also I know that in my own history a lot of the time all that "hey, let's move out to later in the day" does is it makes it so that I then start running late for the newer, later time.

One thing that has helped me to get to sleep fairly early in the past is to work out in the evening. If I can kick my own ***, usually I'll just get physically tired enough that, no matter how much my mind may or may not be racing, I'm ready to go to bed at a normal time. Otherwise, I just have to force myself to get up when my alarm goes off. It sucks and it's not really the way my body's wired, but I guess that I also know that once I take my meds for the morning I'll be awake and alert and more or less ready to go.

ToneTone
01-26-17, 12:17 AM
Lots of ADHDers and lots of people who suffer depression are night owls, and I don't think researchers understand why this is.

The technical name for being a night owl is "delayed phase sleep syndrome." ... As in our system delays the sleeping process.

There is writing out there on delayed phase sleep problems ... it's a hard problem to "solve" ... But there are treatments out there ... including small doses of melatonin ... cutting off lights early ... using bright light therapy in the morning when you wake up.

Sleep clinics are good for help with this one. The rest of medicine doesn't really understand the problem.

Tone

meadd823
01-26-17, 12:43 AM
I was born late and have ben late to every thing sense.

If you do not have an external limit when it comes to arrival time it may be very difficult to implement on internal one of your own

The big question is how important is that you set a specific time to arrive. I struggle with time management by but I had a boss who wrote us up if we were two minutes late. I also developed a small group of friends that always got there in plenty of time to converse before work so I learned if I got there at the same time I was not late - then IO actually discovered if I got up an hour early to feed my country cats there were less raccoons to deal with and no cat boxes to clean when I got home so I learned to get up even earlier

I had to have a reward system that would be some thing I valued a reason for me to want to get out of bed besides other wanted me to. Now I have a slightly more flexible schedule - if I am rooming 8:30 if I am doing the phones when ever - I tend to prefer to stay late so no one has bothered me about coming in later

The doctor I work for does not start seeing patients until 9:00am but doing the phones a call backs mean most of our work comes in late morning, and the doctor does not sign orders or address concerns until after 4:00 pm - after he sees his last office patient

If I have to take a cat to the vet I can before work now where as before they had to suffer until my husband got up some time in the afternoon - Hubby has to pick them up but I can take them first thing in the morning

No one minds a lot of the work being done the next morning - so I start later because it serves my purpose.

Getting places early has to sever my purpose or it just isn't going to happen I also avoid starting things I know I won't finish before I need to leave. My morning are about routine and not letting myself get distracted.