View Full Version : I am more distracted than before: Day 5 of Concerta

PaulCamR
01-25-17, 10:10 PM
Can anyone explain to me how this could be?

I'm feeling more distracted and scatter-brained than how I would feel normally.

Here's how it has gone:
Day 1 - Worked okayish. Didn't last long.
Day 2 - Didn't seem to work.
Day 3 - Maybe working slightly but I don't know. Didn't last.
Day 4 - Didn't notice anything.
Day 5 - I'm feeling slightly more than mildly distracted. No change from before to after taking the medication.

My doc appointment is on Tuesday next week. Any pointers until then? Any insight about things I should bring up? I'm leaning toward asking her to switch me to Adderall XR, rather than testing a higher dose of Concerta.

sarahsweets
01-26-17, 05:59 AM
It sounds like in simple terms- the methylphenidate class of drugs do not work for you. (ritalin, concerta, daytrana, focalin)
Its totally within your right to ask to try an amphetamine.

PaulCamR
01-26-17, 07:58 PM
It sounds like in simple terms- the methylphenidate class of drugs do not work for you. (ritalin, concerta, daytrana, focalin)
Its totally within your right to ask to try an amphetamine.

You're a regular here. And you must have heard many different stories. I just can't seem to find reliable anecdotal information when I google search. I'm afraid of switching meds and doses over and over.

In my heart of hearts I feel like I have ADD-inattentive, but that my problems are filtered through other difficulties. I had a brain injury at age 5, which put me in the hospital for 2 days with minor brain bleeding. I was in and out of consciousness and threw up many times. I was diagnosed with "Central auditory processing disorder". Two psych assessments were done on me (one in elementary school, one in high school), but I remember distinctly that both are really ****ty IQ tests with nothing else. I scored high so they said there was no problem. My Mom *JUST* told me yesterday (I am 27, just to clarify), that there was a sudden change in my ability to remember names, dates, etc, after the head injury. I have wondered my whole life why my ability to remember/memorize certain things has been so terrible. If a concept is attached, I can remember much better.

These are things I'll bring up with my doc, but I am hoping that switching to Adderall XR will at least help my attention, motivation, energy. The new things that came to light about the head injury at a young age make me wonder how I should approach this differently though.