View Full Version : New here: My symptoms

naking
01-27-17, 06:26 AM
My family calls me the "grumpy guy"

My friends and Coworkers think I am a very nice guy.

9 times out of 10 I always forget something when I get to my car and have to go back inside "its a running joke in my house"

I say things out loud that most people find very, very blunt

I have a very short temper, but again not with friends or Coworkers. Just my family.

The list goes on of typical symptoms. Last year I was talking with a coworker about my symptoms and how I think I have ADHD. He then confessed that he had ADHD. A few weeks later I was talking about it again and he asked if I would like to try some of his medication to see how i felt after taking it.

Oh my god, my life did a complete 360. I was organized, not late to work anymore. Helping my wife with laundry was not something I tried to avoid anymore. But the best thing of all, I was not grumpy to my family members, no more short tempers. Bottom line, my wife and kids loved my personality.

So since I am not on diagnosed or taking medication regularly, my life is back to the way it was. I am short tempered with my kids again. Wife can easily see the change in me when i am medicated and when i am not.

I am wanting to schedule an appointment with a Dr. My question is, do I tell him that i have experimented with the medication before and tell him how big of a turn around my life had been when i was taking the medication?

What are your thought's on this? ADHD typical? Do i just sound like an A hole who got some adderall and liked a possible high i got off the medication? Thank you

sarahsweets
01-27-17, 06:47 AM
Well the first thing is to look back at your childhood. In order for it to be adhd you must have 6 or more symptoms that impair your life in 2 or more ways ( or is it 2 or more that impair your life in 6 or more ways? I always confuse them). You must have had symptoms present since childhood before the age of 12. You have to remember that adhd impairs your life in most if not all areas as an adult. A positive response to medication is not indicative of adhd. People tend to believe the misinformation that if stimulants help then it must be adhd. Stimulants are hot stuff on college campuses as performance enhancers. They allow people without adhd to get ahead of their peers whereas people with adhd who take stimulants are trying to bring themselves close to normal functioning or as close as possible in order to live in a world where we are often below par. Most people who take stimulants will say they notice something, unless there are negative side effects, but you cant base a diagnosis on that. In fact, there are still some misinformed doctors that think if a patient responds well to them, then its confirmation they have adhd.
Of course it feels good to function, and it feels great to realize that life can be better, but taking your friends' medication is both unethical and illegal. Both he and you could get in serious trouble. Its hard to be patient for a doctor appt but would you rather get to the bottom of the problem no matter what it is, or treat a problem your way, and in the way you think it should be without actually knowing what it is?

I am not trying to rail you, but you have to understand from my/our perspective. We are looked at as drug addicts with legal speed prescriptions sometimes and its because people share their medication and play doctor with themselves and others, and that makes our disorder and treatment lose some legitimacy.

naking
01-27-17, 08:25 AM
I completely understand what you are saying. I have had a couple teachers in elementary try to get my parents to get me diagnosed. I was not diagnosed as a kid, but I dont remember being effected that much as a kid. Just that teachers always wanted me to get tested. Most of their reasons were that I day dream a lot in class

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is medicated. He does very well with it. I honestly think my dad has ADHD. Sad part is, I know I act and do the same things he does that makes me think he has it.

I know what me and my coworker did was not ethical what so ever and is why I have never asked him for anything else. I dont like the process felling like a drug deal and neither did he. He was honestly just trying to help. He knew i would not go see a doctor about it, which is why he wanted me to see how much better life is when you are medicated. I confined to him because I knew my marriage was not going well and felt as if my family did not care for me as much due to the way i acted around the house.

When i took the adderall, I did not feel like i was high on anything. It made me feel like, what i think normal people feel and act like on a daily basis.

Are my symptoms more something for a psych or a doc?

Little Nut
01-27-17, 12:13 PM
All I can really add is that if a non ADHD person took Adderall, they would describe the effects the same as you did.

Wouldn't mention to Doc. I wouldn't suggest trying someone else's meds in the future either.

I would more focus on what "symptoms" you have/had and specific real examples of actual negative impacts on your life and that is what you want to address.

sarahsweets
01-28-17, 08:07 AM
I completely understand what you are saying. I have had a couple teachers in elementary try to get my parents to get me diagnosed. I was not diagnosed as a kid, but I dont remember being effected that much as a kid. Just that teachers always wanted me to get tested. Most of their reasons were that I day dream a lot in class

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is medicated. He does very well with it. I honestly think my dad has ADHD. Sad part is, I know I act and do the same things he does that makes me think he has it.

I know what me and my coworker did was not ethical what so ever and is why I have never asked him for anything else. I dont like the process felling like a drug deal and neither did he. He was honestly just trying to help. He knew i would not go see a doctor about it, which is why he wanted me to see how much better life is when you are medicated. I confined to him because I knew my marriage was not going well and felt as if my family did not care for me as much due to the way i acted around the house.

When i took the adderall, I did not feel like i was high on anything. It made me feel like, what i think normal people feel and act like on a daily basis.

Are my symptoms more something for a psych or a doc?
Your symptoms cause issues so of course they should get checked out. Just be open to the possibility that it could be something other than adhd too.