View Full Version : Undiagnosed, need opinions

Annieburtt
01-29-17, 07:23 AM
Hello, I'm Annie. I have not been diagnosed with add yet by a Dr. I have done online research and taken tests. All tests came back saying I have add. I am 39 years old. I have pretty much all the classic symptoms and ocd. When I was in school my mom had to wake me up at 5am on Friday mornings to recite my spelling words for the test. Of I studied the night before, I'd forget. I was also in remediation all through high school. I barely made it through, c and d student. Now I have about 7 projects started, none finished. I get easily irritated with small talk. I zone out all the time. And my fiancee has told me for years he thinks I have it. Any opinions?

GoalieMel33
01-29-17, 11:04 AM
There are no tests used to specifically diagnose ADHD and while online quizzes might give you a general idea, they aren't always the most reliable tools. It is usually done through an interview on your history (with you and/or someone who knows you well) and questionnaires/scales.

A lot of ADHD-like symptoms overlap with other conditions (including OCD, anxiety, depression, bipolar, learning disorder, etc) and a knowledgeable doctor will be able to differenciate between them.

Preferably a psychiatrist but a neupsychologist can help if a learning disability is suspected. Since your difficulties are affecting you, seeing a professional could be useful.

Free to Fly
01-29-17, 11:11 AM
Good possibility. Take some time and consider why you are asking us instead of going in? Are you doing this for him or for yourself? Do you want to add some tools to your toolbox to make your life better?

sarahsweets
01-29-17, 11:50 AM
Hello, I'm Annie. I have not been diagnosed with add yet by a Dr. I have done online research and taken tests. All tests came back saying I have add.
I would never recommend using online tests for diagnosing or even deciphering adhd. Very often because we are notoriously bad self evaluators we start thinking we have all these symptoms we do not have and end up with a self diagnosis-and then go into a doctors' appt with the expectation that they should treat what we say we have, and arent open to anything else. Yes, symptoms do overlap in other disorders like bipolar and adhd- and thats not to say that you have one over the other- just that a host of other things could be going on.

I am 39 years old. I have pretty much all the classic symptoms and ocd. When I was in school my mom had to wake me up at 5am on Friday mornings to recite my spelling words for the test. Of I studied the night before, I'd forget. I was also in remediation all through high school. I barely made it through, c and d student. Now I have about 7 projects started, none finished. I get easily irritated with small talk. I zone out all the time. And my fiancee has told me for years he thinks I have it. Any opinions?

The questions are not about "classic symptoms" but how impairing they are in your life. In how many areas? What about childhood? Did you notice these symptoms at a young age?

Little Nut
01-29-17, 02:42 PM
Hey AB, Appears you have been struggling for much of your life, you believe it may be related to ADHD, and you're not sure on how to proceed. If it helps, almost everyone on this forum has been exactly where you are. Also, there were others that turned out not to have ADHD.

From my VERY SMALL knothole in the fence, if you want to proceed, you will need to get a formal diagnosis. Keep in mind this diagnosis and any follow-up will take much more time than you initially think it will. If no past exposure to Psychologists or Psychiatrists, your regular physician is a good place to start. They may or may not refer you to someone. I really think some prep work on your end beforehand can save a lot of time. Dig up the diagnostic criteria. Start a list of symptoms you think apply and write down specific, real, objective (NOT SUPPOSITIONAL) times it happened to you and what negative impacts it had for you. Keep the list with you so you can add to it when things happen or you remember.

Keep in mind that you may or may not have ADHD and the testing may reveal another disorder by itself or in addition to ADHD. GL & HTH, -LN