View Full Version : "Largely intact attention abilities" but still diagnosed with ADD-PI

Obsessive_ADD
01-29-17, 09:14 PM
I have been on all the traditional ADHD medications but with no real success. I can attend to simple information or things I already have mapped out in my mind/have learned but when I try to learn new stuff it goes in 1 ear and out the other even when this isn't the case for my peers. I'm often not distracted thinking about other stuff, it's just my mind doesn't process it, so I appear distracted. My mind doesn't automatically organize the incoming information. What could this be if it's not ADD-PI? I've had some temporary success with serotonin related medications, but nothing lasting.

aeon
01-29-17, 09:21 PM
Have you been screened and tested for learning disorders and/or sensory processing disorders?

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
01-30-17, 05:44 AM
Aeon makes good points. There is also some working theories about SCT although I am not sure if its an official disorder or not.

Obsessive_ADD
02-18-17, 06:12 PM
Have you been screened and tested for learning disorders and/or sensory processing disorders?

Cheers,
Ian

I had a comprehensive psychological examination and they said there was no evidence of a learning disability. I also had an EEG which showed 0% chance of a learning disability. I assuming learning disability = learning disorder?

Not sure if I was screened for sensory processing disorder but I tested negative for the autism spectrum. Is there any real treatment for adults with sensory processing disorder? All the literature I find is about kids with behavioral problems. I don't have behavioral problems, my brain just doesn't work properly for me to perform as necessary.

Fraser_0762
02-18-17, 06:22 PM
I have these issues as well. In my opinion, all processing issues are learning disorders. It's hard to learn when you struggle to process what you read, or what you hear other people saying. It's not too much of a problem with low level learning, but when you try to learn things at a higher level, it's a huge problem.

InterestedInPsy
02-19-17, 04:17 PM
Have you looked into auditory processing disorder? This can only be diagnosed by an audiologist, not a psychologist. It affects as the name suggest, processing speed by listening.

Do you only have processing problems relating to hearing? I have done a comprehensive psychological testing saying I have really high processing speed, but still struggle with people talking to me, but that could related to my co-morbid condition (autism).

Obsessive_ADD
02-20-17, 11:37 AM
Have you looked into auditory processing disorder? This can only be diagnosed by an audiologist, not a psychologist. It affects as the name suggest, processing speed by listening.

Do you only have processing problems relating to hearing? I have done a comprehensive psychological testing saying I have really high processing speed, but still struggle with people talking to me, but that could related to my co-morbid condition (autism).

No, I have the same language processing problems with reading. It subjectively "feels" similar when my mind isn't processing properly. Food and sleep affect this. I'm quite good at speaking but this isn't a very practical skills if you can't process the meaning of incoming speech or text reliably. I can read fluently out loud but I may stop processing the meaning.

InterestedInPsy
02-20-17, 10:24 PM
No, I have the same language processing problems with reading. It subjectively "feels" similar when my mind isn't processing properly. Food and sleep affect this. I'm quite good at speaking but this isn't a very practical skills if you can't process the meaning of incoming speech or text reliably. I can read fluently out loud but I may stop processing the meaning.

Then how about language processing disorder? It's a specific type of auditory processing disorder that only impacts processing language. You even said yourself that you have language processing problems (bolded). Here's a link to a site that talks about it:

https://ldaamerica.org/types-of-learning-disabilities/language-processing-disorder/

It also affects reading comprehension. It could be that you only have problems with receptive language and not expressive language. I'm not a professional. You can look up more information on Google, but thought this could be a starting point. Hopefully you can find the help you need :)