View Full Version : Doc on Vacation and I Need a Refill: What to Do?

pixiehallow
01-30-17, 01:11 AM
I have been reading all these posts with no luck. Someone please help me out. I have been seeing a wonderful psychiatrist who prescribes my meds and helps my cope with my condition.

I also see a therapist which I will continue to see. Sorry If I am rambling on. Long story short. I am in a bind so to speak. I am running out of my meds (and no I don't take more than prescribed never have never will), so I called to make a appointment to see her and they said she is on vacation for a month. How was I suppose to know that if they didn't call me and tell me. I have a appointment but it isn't until a month from now. So where do I go. What do I do??

sarahsweets
01-30-17, 05:03 AM
I have a doctor in NJ who also takes vacations for extended times but she goes through everyone's charts who are coming up on refills and has her staff fill out the prescriptions that she signed and dated ahead of time. She only does this for stimulants and there is a very small window of time that you have to pick them up and fill them.

Jenn1202
01-30-17, 10:41 AM
Have you tried explaining the situation to the receptionist? They may have some way to contact your doctor and ask her to send a script to your pharmacy or maybe they could get another pdoc to write the script for you.

Little Missy
01-30-17, 10:47 AM
Go to the office in person with your bottle and tell them what you need.

pixiehallow
01-30-17, 11:19 PM
Sarah Sweets I am new to this forum can you send me a private message I would like to talk to you further.

pixiehallow
01-30-17, 11:57 PM
I cant go to the office in person and show my bottle because its a private practice. She is the only psychiatrist in the office and she is on vacation for a month. I have never been in this predicament before. Please help!

pixiehallow
01-31-17, 12:21 AM
Jenn, the receptionist just said she is on vacation. I made a appointment but she says I have to see her to get my script because she is not in the office she I guess the receptionist just takes calls from her cell? The doctor would have to write the script because its Adderall and you cant call it in.

pixiehallow
01-31-17, 12:25 AM
I am afraid of withdrawal. I have been on Adderall for 11 years. I have never had this problem. I have went to EMO and showed my bottle. They said no. I called crisis hotline they said there is nothing you can do just wait or go to the emergency room and maybe they'll give you like 2 pills. What is that going to do?

namazu
01-31-17, 01:12 AM
I cant go to the office in person and show my bottle because its a private practice. She is the only psychiatrist in the office and she is on vacation for a month. I have never been in this predicament before. Please help!
Generally a doctor -- even one in solo private practice -- will designate another doctor to be "on call" for emergencies while they're gone (sometimes called a "locum"). ...But I'd think that the receptionist could tell you this. If your doc hasn't done so, it seems irresponsible of her -- and stinky for you.

I wouldn't be concerned about withdrawal so much as whether you're at risk of serious problems (driving, at work, etc.) without the meds. Withdrawal tends to be bothersome -- you may feel tired and/or foggy and/or hyper -- but not physically dangerous.

Check with the receptionist to see if there's a designated doctor who handles "on call" things, and if so, see if that person might be able to help.

Best wishes.

Impromptu_DTour
01-31-17, 02:18 AM
In my experience its pretty unusual for a doctor (of any kind) to not have someone they can have fill scripts for their patients while they are unavailable, private practice or not..

i would call the receptionist and just inquire how the scripts of the other patients are being filled.

withdrawal? i wouldnt let it worry ya..

iDTour

Little Missy
01-31-17, 08:02 AM
I have been reading all these posts with no luck. Someone please help me out. I have been seeing a wonderful psychiatrist who prescribes my meds and helps my cope with my condition.

I also see a therapist which I will continue to see. Sorry If I am rambling on. Long story short. I am in a bind so to speak. I am running out of my meds (and no I don't take more than prescribed never have never will), so I called to make a appointment to see her and they said she is on vacation for a month. How was I suppose to know that if they didn't call me and tell me. I have a appointment but it isn't until a month from now. So where do I go. What do I do??

Tell your therapist and see what he or she can do. They know plenty of doctors. Go to your general practitioner and see if he or she can help you.

And always make your appointment a month ahead when you are at your current appointment. That way your psychiatrist can tell you when she is going on vacation and make arrangements for your prescription if he or she won't be there on the correct date.

It sure seems like a LOT of psychiatrists take a month off lately. :confused:

Jenn1202
02-04-17, 11:55 PM
Jenn, the receptionist just said she is on vacation. I made a appointment but she says I have to see her to get my script because she is not in the office she I guess the receptionist just takes calls from her cell? The doctor would have to write the script because its Adderall and you cant call it in.

I would ask the receptionist if she could let you pdoc know that you need a refill. There are things your pdoc can do without having to actually be there. Theoretically speaking your pdoc could call up a friend or a colleague and ask them to write the script for you because she's not there. Also some pharmacies allow doctors to send e-scripts and I'm sure your pdoc has internet no matter where she is. She could also mail you a script (it usually takes 2-5 days).