View Full Version : 5-HTP and L-tryptophan

C15H25N3O
01-30-17, 07:01 AM
Using the depression-forums search there are ONLY 4 threads where 5-HTP is mentioned.

Is there anyone who experienced supplementing 5-HTP and/or L-tryptophan in or without
addition of other meds. I dont trust the docs always prescribing SSRI to treat depressions
because a reuptake inhibition in theory could increase a low serotonine between synapses
but also decreases natural serotonine production.

I can pick up some 5-HTP at my pharmacy this afternoon.

Fraser_0762
01-30-17, 07:47 AM
As i've said before, everybody is different. They work quite well for me in terms of leveling out my mood (5htp). But they can take several weeks to adjust to. If you're going to try them out, i'd recommend starting at 50mg (no more than 100mgs), then working your way up to 200mgs if need be. Taking 200mgs straight away might feel a bit uncomfortable.

I also take breaks from them from time to time, just for several days here and there. When I go 2-3 days without taking them, my scattered mind hits back with a vengeance.

C15H25N3O
01-30-17, 08:21 AM
I found a study about 5-HTP in addition to (+)-amphetamines for the guys who like to discuss
scientific facts and evidences:

Serotonin (5-HT) precursor loading with 5-hydroxy-l-tryptophan (5-HTP) reduces locomotor
activation produced by (+)-amphetamine in the rat.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21071157

BACKGROUND:
Evidence suggests that increases in synaptic serotonin (5-HT) can reduce the stimulant properties
of amphetamine-type drugs. Here we tested the hypothesis that administration of the 5-HT precursor
5-hydroxy-l-tryptophan (5-HTP), along with the peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor benserazide, would
decrease locomotor effects of (+)-amphetamine.

METHODS:
Drug treatments were administered to conscious male rats undergoing in vivo microdialysis in
nucleus accumbens. During dialysis sampling, rats were housed in chambers equipped with
photobeams to detect forward locomotion (i.e., ambulation) and repetitive movements
(i.e., stereotypy). Extracellular concentrations of dopamine (DA) and 5-HT were measured by
high-pressure liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection.

RESULTS:
5-HTP (10 & 30 mg/kg, i.p.) plus benserazide (30 mg/kg, i.p.) caused dose-related increases
in 5-HT but failed to alter other parameters. (+)-Amphetamine (0.3 & 1.0 mg/kg, i.p.) produced
dose-related increases in DA, ambulation and stereotypy. Combined administration of
5-HTP and (+)-amphetamine evoked large elevations in extracellular DA and 5-HT, but caused
significantly less ambulation than (+)-amphetamine alone (~50% reduction).

CONCLUSIONS:
Our results confirm that 5-HTP can decrease hyperactivity produced by (+)-amphetamine, even
in the presence of elevations in dialysate DA. The data suggest that 5-HTP and (+)-amphetamine
may be useful to broadly enhance monoamine function in the clinical setting, while reducing
undesirable effects of (+)-amphetamine.

C15H25N3O
01-30-17, 08:29 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan (INN), is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor
as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan.

C15H25N3O
02-02-17, 03:40 PM
I tried supplementing 5-HTP for 5 days now and I think I like it. I have 50mg capsules here.

I carefully increased the dosage from 15mg to 35mg to 50mg and now 2x50mg for two days.
The first two day it made me really tired when it became dark but from the third day it gave
me a positive drive because I added some vitamin B6 to bring it over the brains blood barrier.

I just got some bad news, my mood decreased and thinking became stressy. So i took my
2nd 50mg and half a hour later thinking became relaxed again. No more stress.

For me there is a huge difference in effectiveness if I take it with or without Vitamin B6.
I actually use the cheapest B6 from a supermarket for 2,50€ but also could use some for
20€ from the pharmacy, same dosage, same ammount of capsules. For me no need to pay
too much.

I really wonder a lot why docs dont prescribe this substance and why there are not more
studies about 5-HTP as it is serotonines pro-drug. Maybe because it is made from the seeds
of a plant and plants cannot be patented.

C15H25N3O
03-19-17, 12:39 PM
I have taken L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP for a while now. Here are my thoughts.

Mind chemically the serotonine/melatonine metabolizm works like:

L-tryptophan --> 5-HTP --> 5-HT (Serotonine) --> Melatonine

While I experienced a strong effect of 5-HTP on my circadian that was better
because milder than melatonin. When I take it in combination with Vitamin B6
it I can feel its effect after 15 - 30 minutes.

Also L-Tryptophan needs some Vitamin B6 to pass by the blood-barrier.
Its effect on me is milder than 5-HTP as it feels very natural.
In comparison to 5-HTP it feels like its being metabolized to serotonine
and melatonine as needed not like flooding.

I am off amphetamines right now and I working very motivated on some personal
stuffs. When I have worked physically hard and did not sleep well at night L-tryptophan
has the potential to erase my mental grogginess but not the lack of muscle energy.

Over all I am happy I have found L-Tryptophan and as usual I take it when I need it,
not daily and I forbid any doctors commenting it because I began disrespecting any
evidence based medicine. They are really messed up to prescribe their piller kills.

ADHD is too paradox for empiric and evidence base alternative facts.

Take care, burp!