View Full Version : Where to go for ADHD Testing in San Antonio,TX

V.Brooks
01-30-17, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know where can I go to get diagnosed with ADHD in the San Antonio area. Is there any place where I can go that won't require me to have a minimum of 5 hours of testing. With insurance this would cost me a minimum of $500 and I am trying to avoid spending that much. I am in gradient school so I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on testing. Is there anyone who knows a place I can go that won't cost a lot?

namazu
01-30-17, 11:52 PM
Hi V,

Welcome to ADDF.

ADHD diagnosis doesn't require formal (paper or computer) testing. A thorough evaluation may consist of a complete personal and family medical, educational, social, and occupational history, along with your description of the difficulties you currently face and how they affect your life. You (and one or more people who know you well) may also be asked to fill out rating scales or provide additional input.

You should look for a psychiatrist who has experience diagnosing ADHD in adults, if you can find one.

If you have any history of special education or accommodations in school, old report cards with comments, job evaluations, or documentation of legal/financial difficulties, bring those along. They can help demonstrate the ways in which your life has been affected. (But if you don't have them, don't worry about it.)

In general, most psychiatrists will schedule a longer "intake" appointment the first time you see them. This is where they go through your history and why you're there. Usually these appointments do cost more than a regular appointment because they're longer. It may take more than one appointment to make a diagnosis, depending on the particulars of your situation.

If you have insurance, a psychiatrist visit should be at least partly covered.

You may want to contact UT Health in SA. The head of their Psych department is a well-known ADHD researcher. (https://news.uthscsa.edu/adhd-expert-named-chairman-of-psychiatry-at-the-ut-health-science-center-san-antonio/) You don't necessarily have to see him personally -- I don't know how much time he spends doing clinical work vs. research -- but they ought to be able to recommend someone qualified.

Good luck!