View Full Version : Do I have ADD?

radrodents47
01-31-17, 06:25 PM
I think I have ADD but my mum doesn't believe me:(

Hello!
[for your knowledge while reading this I'm 13 years old and female]
This is my first time posting in any forum so I have no clue what to expect...-
Anyway, one of my favourite bands is Panic! At The Disco! And I came to the knowledge that Brendon Urie (the lead singer) (and only member left hehe) has ADHD. A lot of people in the comment section of his interviews point out that his keg is jiggling constantly. I do that too so my naive self google a quiz on 'do you have ADHD?' Knowing full well that I 'didn't' but still doing it anyway.
I expected some scammy quiz that would give me an unreliable answer - but instead I came across a scientific one and took it. I got a high score which I wasn't prepared for and a suggestion that I should see a doctor about it.
Curious, I then went ahead to take multiple ADHD/ADD tests to recieve high scores in almost all of them and further suggestions.
I researched ADD and was shocked by how many of the symptoms apply to me.
- My mind frequently wanders and it takes me an unnecessary amount of time to focus on a single piece of work.
- The same with listening and remembering what my teacher was just saying or what I was reading. I unconsciously space out during class and conversation.
- I am a l w a y s making silly mistakes that can easily be avoided.
- If a song lyric is in my head, It's loud and clear out of my mouth for everyone sround me to hear. (I cant even sing!!)
- I can do fine in a classroom but my mind goes blank when I open a test paper
- I was in a test earlier today and noticed that everyone around me was almost. done when I was still on question 3... :(
- I'm usually thinking about a YouTube video I watched last night instead of doing my school work.
- I'm awful at time keeping and it's rare to have a morning where I'm not rushing out the door bagel in hand.
- I can never seem to start projects until the last minute and I struggle to finish them by the due date. (I'm getting much better at that though with new methods to stop me getting distracted:) )
- I'm constantly switching from topic to topic in conversation when new ideas enter my head because I'm scared I'll forget them.

I also thought about when I was a child. (Younger child that is)
- I remember back in Year 2 or something I would stare at the teacher while she was expalining and not remember a word. Then I would gaze at my worksheet in wonder like, 2+2 what now?
- I was always the weird kid;(I still am) Bouncy, enthusiastic, full of life, loved to shout. (And I still do://)
I could also never keep friends as a kid and I heard a rumor from one of my primary school friends recently that -
"She's pretty but her personality let's her down."
And I also believe I've driven a lot of people away by being too outgoing and loud.

Earlier I tried to talk to my mum about it. She's a nurse (and a clever one too). I was saying that I applied to numerous symptoms for ADD and wanted her opinion on it. ADD is what I think I may have seeing as I have more symptoms for that than ADHD. She laughed and said that if you have ADHD then its usually very obvious and that i definitely don't have it. I told her that from lots of things I've read that ADD in girls is often undiagnosed and looked over. She continued to assure me that I don't have it and it's just personality traits. I swiftly retreated back to my room.
I also tried to ask my friends' opinion on the matter but she is a bit of attention seeker and had eating disorders in the past. We are very much joking friends but she brought it up in comedic sesne multiple times.
I don't want to talk about it again solely because she may get jealous or retreat to old habits or maybe find new methods for attention.
Now, I'm not sure if I'm just 'lazy' but I've noticed a significant drop in my work in school while everyone else is rising.
I may just be being ridiculous and assuming things to fast...:/

Thankyou so much if you read all of that<3
If you could maybe give me some advice, your opinion would mean the world xxx

sarahsweets
02-01-17, 06:21 AM
I think I have ADD but my mum doesn't believe me:(

Hello!
[for your knowledge while reading this I'm 13 years old and female]
This is my first time posting in any forum so I have no clue what to expect...-
Anyway, one of my favourite bands is Panic! At The Disco! And I came to the knowledge that Brendon Urie (the lead singer) (and only member left hehe) has ADHD. A lot of people in the comment section of his interviews point out that his keg is jiggling constantly. I do that too so my naive self google a quiz on 'do you have ADHD?' Knowing full well that I 'didn't' but still doing it anyway.
I expected some scammy quiz that would give me an unreliable answer - but instead I came across a scientific one and took it. I got a high score which I wasn't prepared for and a suggestion that I should see a doctor about it.
Curious, I then went ahead to take multiple ADHD/ADD tests to recieve high scores in almost all of them and further suggestions.
I researched ADD and was shocked by how many of the symptoms apply to me.
- My mind frequently wanders and it takes me an unnecessary amount of time to focus on a single piece of work.
- The same with listening and remembering what my teacher was just saying or what I was reading. I unconsciously space out during class and conversation.
- I am a l w a y s making silly mistakes that can easily be avoided.
- If a song lyric is in my head, It's loud and clear out of my mouth for everyone sround me to hear. (I cant even sing!!)
- I can do fine in a classroom but my mind goes blank when I open a test paper
- I was in a test earlier today and noticed that everyone around me was almost. done when I was still on question 3... :(
- I'm usually thinking about a YouTube video I watched last night instead of doing my school work.
- I'm awful at time keeping and it's rare to have a morning where I'm not rushing out the door bagel in hand.
- I can never seem to start projects until the last minute and I struggle to finish them by the due date. (I'm getting much better at that though with new methods to stop me getting distracted:) )
- I'm constantly switching from topic to topic in conversation when new ideas enter my head because I'm scared I'll forget them.

There are no tests for adhd. There are lots of things a professional can evaluate you for, but no tests.
Alot of the things you mention could be due to other issues. But wow! You are 13 and digging deep so props to you!

I also thought about when I was a child. (Younger child that is)
- I remember back in Year 2 or something I would stare at the teacher while she was expalining and not remember a word. Then I would gaze at my worksheet in wonder like, 2+2 what now?
- I was always the weird kid;(I still am) Bouncy, enthusiastic, full of life, loved to shout. (And I still do://)
I could also never keep friends as a kid and I heard a rumor from one of my primary school friends recently that -
"She's pretty but her personality let's her down."
And I also believe I've driven a lot of people away by being too outgoing and loud.

Emotional regulation is something that is very hard for adhd people.

Earlier I tried to talk to my mum about it. She's a nurse (and a clever one too). I was saying that I applied to numerous symptoms for ADD and wanted her opinion on it. ADD is what I think I may have seeing as I have more symptoms for that . She laughed and said that if you have ADHD then its usually very obvious and that i definitely don't have it. I told her that from lots of things I've read that ADD in girls is often undiagnosed and looked over. She continued to assure me that I don't have it and it's just personality traits. I swiftly retreated back to my room.
Its one of those things where she still sees you as her child and as a reflection of herself. Its something that most parents have a hard time with, myself included. And no offense but she is a little bit on the wrong sided for how adhd presents itself in girls.

I also tried to ask my friends' opinion on the matter but she is a bit of attention seeker and had eating disorders in the past. We are very much joking friends but she brought it up in comedic sesne multiple times.
I don't want to talk about it again solely because she may get jealous or retreat to old habits or maybe find new methods for attention.

At 13, forget about asking friends. Teenagers are self absorbed. I dont mean that as an insult, its just part of being a teen. Your friend heard you and immediately looked at herself. Its part of learning to play well with others and not everyone will have gained the insight that you have.

I am not trying to say you do or dont have adhd. I am trying to say that online tests are just basic and that you need a professional. Would your mom say no about going to see at least your gp? Would you be able to talk to the gp by yourself?

radrodents47
02-02-17, 12:47 PM
Thankyou for your feedback, it was very helpful:)
After some thought, I think I was just coming to conclusions too fast... :/
Thankyou though:D

tomgrouncontrol
02-10-17, 12:16 PM
I always knew I had ADD, it took me half a year until I finally found a cooperative doctor, one who actually can listen