View Full Version : As Per Request !

salleh
02-02-17, 03:51 PM
......To start with, here's the photo I sent showing my work space ( the one at Janet's house) ....I do cop to straightening up ( a lot ) ....you can see the blue sticky boards I use for sorting, storing those sorted, designing...each board is 10x15 and crammed with dials, movements, some of the findings, finished pieces.....and the cardboard trays I use for lots of things, including the small cardstock boxes I make to hold other findings ...like clasps, chains, some of the filigree backings, etc. etc etc.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/IMGP9432%202_zpsq15s4xoo.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/IMGP9432%202_zpsq15s4xoo.jpg.html)

Next in line in the only photo I think came out pretty well, it shows 3 pairs of cuff links, 2 rings, and 1 bangle bracelet

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/IMGP9333%203_zpsbd4yjynj.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/IMGP9333%203_zpsbd4yjynj.jpg.html)

and here are the new earrings .....and those Victorian findings made from the actual molds.....you can kinda tell how long they are by the ear hooks

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/IMGP9284%204_zpsy5v2n8qa.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/IMGP9284%204_zpsy5v2n8qa.jpg.html)

...now this group is the pendants and one bracelet.....the new findings are on the 3 pendants that have their chain ....I am making all silver, all bronzy/brass and/or copper, and then I mix those metals up too ....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/IMGP9262%203_zps7nwylnpt.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/IMGP9262%203_zps7nwylnpt.jpg.html)

....That last show I did before I left Cal....I put together a 3 piece set for the lady who was running the show ....and I thought ....duh ! so here's 4 of the 3 piece sets I am putting together ...and you can see some of the mixing of metals I do ....and notice the set on the lower left ....the earring movements are pink, while the pendants movement is more gold in color ...even though they are all exact matches ....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/IMGP9298%205_zpsknzwn1pk.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/IMGP9298%205_zpsknzwn1pk.jpg.html)

,.....Finally, are my old friends the tiny dial bracelets, 1 pendant ...and the Graduated Round Dial Necklace......which I think I am getting right at last .....for them to look good, I have to use the very top dials I have ....using 2nd string dials make boring necklaces.....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/IMGP9258%204_zpsstr1a6ie.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/IMGP9258%204_zpsstr1a6ie.jpg.html)

....I have 3 sticky boards of earrings, about 18 of the 3 piece sets, going on 40 some odd tiny dial bracelets, ( with another 25 in the works) 3 boards of the Victorian pendants...about 18 of the GRD necklace....and about 70 prs of cufflinks ....

....I found out that putting fewer of the pieces in the photos made better photos ....picking out those few was verrrrry difficult

....and comments are welcomed ...and while I do love to hear compliments, any thing that would help me come up with better designs would be greatly appreciated ...oh and if you like something in particular I'd love to hear and why if you can put it into words ....

...Thanks again guys, your interest and support is very much appreciated ....

Fuzzy12
02-02-17, 03:59 PM
Absolutely stunning. I loved your previous work as well but somehow I like these even more. Have you changed anything?

The best i Iike the pieces with just one clock face or clock mechanics (sorry don't know what you call that) like the earrings or the cufflinks rather than the pieces which have lots of stuff going on.

How did you come up with this idea of making jewellery from watches? Does anyone else do it? It's absolutely brilliant!!

midnightstar
02-02-17, 04:15 PM
I am seriously in awe of your creativity salleh, I wish I could make things like you do :grouphug:

salleh
02-02-17, 04:18 PM
You aren't the only one who likes the simplest one the best .....my very best selling item is the large pocket watch movements ( the mechanics) ....companies like Elgin and Waltham damaskeened their movements from about the 1880s to the 1920s or so ....damaskeening shows on the pendants photo in the large movement in the center, ( no chain) you can see the rippling stripes..that is one type of damaskeening .....one of the plainest I might add....they're hard to show well in photos, have to have a side light skimming the surface to pick out the designs ...I just put a bail on the movement and hang them from a chain of the right weight ...they go for 45 to $75 depending on the condition and rarity of the movement ....oh size too.....and how fancy the damaskeening ...I sell loads of those .....

....and what's different are the fancy backings I am using on the earrings and pendants ....late last year I found a site that has these fancy things ....someone has found old Victorian and Edwardian molds and is using them to make those patterns .....there's more than 1,800 on the site, most I can't use but the ones I can ....whoosh ! they're gorgeous, and pricey ....in about 5 orders I spent nearly $1000 ....but it's paying off people are snapping them up ....and at retail prices from $30 to $45 for a pair of earrings ....they don't even blink ....the things in the first photo, cufflinks, etc. look the way they look in person, the rest of the photos ...the jewelry looks like the stuff in the first photo....

...Which is why I am doing so well ...I have found about 4 or 5 other people who are using the same supplier I am ( found them after I came up with my designs, so no guilty feelings ) but we're pretty much the only people in the country doing this type of jewelry....and I have the lowest prices !

stef
02-02-17, 05:16 PM
they just keep getting better and better!
i love the rings

Unmanagable
02-02-17, 06:49 PM
Your work always reminds me of my dad and his watch/clock repair shop, and I thank you for that. :)

I fancy all of the earrings, as that's my favorite accessory.

I really dig the gear pieces, too, as I'm endlessly fascinated by what makes things tick, and in this case, that be it. lol

I also was drawn to the pieces that included birds. Gorgeous. What a great reminder that time certainly does fly.

The only suggestion I can think of is to perhaps add some birdies to the earrings, too. Your creativity inspires me, and I thank you. I love it when you update us!! :)

Edited to add: Just had an idea. I wonder if you could somehow make diffuser necklaces out of all those pieces and parts? The kind folks use with essential oils. When I was hunting one, I don't remember seeing any with watch parts and such.

Lunacie
02-02-17, 07:45 PM
I have absolutely no idea how you do these ... but I love them all! :yes:

salleh
02-02-17, 08:22 PM
Yah I like the birds too ....those are new additions to the connectors stash ....I like birds, stars, and gears as "real"style charms ....they work well with my designs ....what I really like about this collection is my use of connectors ....3 way ones, I use for pendant to chains....and the 2 ways, I either come straight off the finding/backing ....or off the 3 way connector, which is a look I really really like ...

....The pieces with -chain -2 way connector-3 way connector, main piece (and sometimes another charm hanging from the back piece of the main piece) is kind of a ******* idea reminding me of the "Lavaliere" .....a type of pendant necklace popular in the Edwardian era ....most pendants are simply a chain with something hanging from that chain .......Lavaliers end up being long, often narrow, multi-parted pendants...

....I have a low boredom threshold ....so it hasn't taken me long to start putting all kinds of things together to design a necklace and/or earrings ....

.....There is one type of jewelry that I have been accumulating the findings and watch parts for ......I will use it for cufflinks, and rings mostly ....

.....instead of flat back areas that I apoxy the watch movements to; the sides come up a bit like a small shallow cup .....I have saved the teeniest of the watch parts like bitty gears, and other interesting looking parts...and I shall fill those cups with resin, and drop those teeny tiny parts at different times and in different places as the resin hardens....think of fruit jello done right ...with the fruit "floating" around in the jello.....only it's a thick clear layer of resin with those parts....

...Using casting resin requires some very strict rules to follow, straight sided mixing cups, stirring sticks that at also straight, so that you are scraping the sides and bottom to make sure every tiny amount of the 2 different parts are mixed perfectly, and the measuring has to be exact also....you have to mix and pour it slowly so that no air bubbles happen ....

....Another new trick I figured out was for the tiny dial bracelets .....many of those dials have raised numbers, and when they are too dirty to get clean, I have taken to steel wooling the dirty paint off, to expose the either silver top coat of metal under the paint, or past that to the brass....I lose all the detail of any painted on stuff but the raised numbers are still apparent.....and they have a nice brushed metal surface ....I have to wax them as they will rust easily if left to the open air for very long ....but since a good 30 % of the dials I get are like this ......it makes a lot more dials usable ...and saves me money cause I no long have to throw them away ....

....and this is just a couple of things I do to make this jewelry, there's lots more about it that I won't go into ....it's way more complicated that you might think on the surface ....and every new trick I figure out to make the jewelry look better, and last longer has to be incorporated into my methods for all my stuff ... ....

....I know this is way more info about making this stuff than you needed to know, or perhaps wanted to know, but I did want to show that what looks to be a simple straightforward process, is a lot more complicated than it looks to be ...

Fuzzy12
02-02-17, 08:32 PM
Is the damaskeened one the golden one in the 4th pic on the left. I'd actually thought that's the most beautiful one :eek:

Little Missy
02-02-17, 08:37 PM
Is the damaskeened one the golden one in the 4th pic on the left. I'd actually thought that's the most beautiful one :eek:

Time Machines that can be worn. :)

salleh
02-02-17, 09:24 PM
....OK here's a lovely example of a damaskeened

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/waltham_zpsse9wzw51.png (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/waltham_zpsse9wzw51.png.html)

Waltham pocket watch .....the serial number is 11161555, I go to the serial number data base, and that tells me that this is the "seaside" movement, size 6, 15 jewels and made in 1902....

but ain't it purty >

Notice it has 2 kinds of damskeening ....there's the fine designing lines ...and look carefully and you can see wide horizontal lines ...IRL they shimmer like moire silk when you move the watch back and forth .....

Oh and did you notice that the metal plate on the bottom, under all the parts of the watch ....is also damaskeened ? ....and that continues across the entire base plate ! now that's design perfection

oh and look at the brass gear ....see the little nubbin like things ? ....those are weights, that is the balance wheel, and by moving those weights around the watch maker could make the watch run more accurately .....( the gear is a flat ribbon of metal, and has tiny holes evenly distributed about it ...that's where the tiny end of that weight is put ....into those little holes )

the dial was attached to the other side of the movement ....and this side was usually seen only by the person who made the watch and the person who repaired it.....It lived behind the usually decorated back cover.....

this is what has people going nuts .....and well they should .....name anything else in this world that is quite so lovely you can hold in your hand, and is the product of talented skilled people....and served as an accurate time piece for many decades....

salleh
02-02-17, 09:46 PM
Oh and that golden one on the left, ( actually it's brass) ....is actually an example of the oldest of the pocket watches ...it has no or only 1 jewel, and it is a key wound watch ....look carefully at it and you'll see in the center, and off to one side, a small round pocket, with a square rod in the middle of that....the one off to the side is set over the mainspring, you set the key on that through the hole in the inside back cover, and wind the watch ( meaning you're directly winding the mainspring) ( key winds have 2 back covers, so that dust doesn't get into the workings of the watch ....the center square rod, is where you put the key to set the hands ....

and I agree, they are very cool looking

Fuzzy12
02-03-17, 12:23 AM
....OK here's a lovely example of a damaskeened

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/waltham_zpsse9wzw51.png (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/waltham_zpsse9wzw51.png.html)

Waltham pocket watch .....the serial number is 11161555, I go to the serial number data base, and that tells me that this is the "seaside" movement, size 6, 15 jewels and made in 1902....

but ain't it purty >

Notice it has 2 kinds of damskeening ....there's the fine designing lines ...and look carefully and you can see wide horizontal lines ...IRL they shimmer like moire silk when you move the watch back and forth .....

Oh and did you notice that the metal plate on the bottom, under all the parts of the watch ....is also damaskeened ? ....and that continues across the entire base plate ! now that's design perfection

oh and look at the brass gear ....see the little nubbin like things ? ....those are weights, that is the balance wheel, and by moving those weights around the watch maker could make the watch run more accurately .....( the gear is a flat ribbon of metal, and has tiny holes evenly distributed about it ...that's where the tiny end of that weight is put ....into those little holes )

the dial was attached to the other side of the movement ....and this side was usually seen only by the person who made the watch and the person who repaired it.....It lived behind the usually decorated back cover.....

this is what has people going nuts .....and well they should .....name anything else in this world that is quite so lovely you can hold in your hand, and is the product of talented skilled people....and served as an accurate time piece for many decades....

That's stunning especially once you look at all the details. It's perfect for jewellery actually. What an amazing idea! !!

salleh
02-03-17, 12:14 PM
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/hamilton_zpsq18b3dcf.png (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sallyshoaf/media/hamilton_zpsq18b3dcf.png.html)

so here's a size 12 movement, made by Hamilton, now Hamilton's serial number tells you the exact date down to the day , this one was made on April 6, 1923....and it is a gorgeous movement, it's quality is shown by several distinctive ways of making it. what is easy to show is those little round depression.....those are rubies in the center, set in cups of real gold, and the cups are held in place by tiny little screws on each side of the cups .....this size movement is actually around 1 5/8 inch across.....so you can imagine how tiny those screws really are ....
......THe weights on the balance wheel are blurry because the person who took this photo had the watch movement running when they shot the photo........

......This little guy, and the previous shot are why people are just going nuts for them ....you're wearing little piece of amazing machinery, that is also just beautiful, around your neck .....and they are even more beautiful when you see them in person

dvdnvwls
02-03-17, 02:58 PM
I don't know if I said this before...

Isn't it funny that an ADHDer ends up finding beauty in, and creating beauty out of, objects that are meant to keep time but don't function that way?

(I'm also an object that's meant to keep time but doesn't function that way.) :)

salleh
02-03-17, 06:51 PM
Never occurred to me.....but I like it !

stef
02-03-17, 07:16 PM
hey that's brilliant!
revenge on time :)

finallyfound10
02-04-17, 02:17 PM
They are all so pretty and it's interesting learning about watch parts!!

Love what dvd said!!!

dvdnvwls
02-04-17, 03:27 PM
I've always had a fascination with clocks/watches/timekeeping. Since I was a very small boy.

I guess I've always felt that time is a vast mystery, and I'm on the outside of it, looking into it in wonder.

salleh
02-04-17, 04:16 PM
....What I find very amusing, could even say endearing ....is that I may have one of the only jewelry booths that almost all guys have no problem sticking around while their wives/girlfriends are looking at the jewelry .....they're as interested as their significant others .....as a matter of fact, a good deal of the time, it's the guy who does a double take when he walks by, stops and looks, and sure enough, I hear him say .."hey Honey, come over here and look at this !"

....but the women are just as enthralled by the watch movements as the guys .....

....The large heavily damaskeened movements really are beautiful, and you can see well into the works of the watches .....and people really love it when the Balance wheel ( the largest one with the nubbins sticking out) will still move when you flick it ....

...They are an amazing piece of machinery that you can hold in your hand ....and hardly anyone has ever seen one before .....they are well protected by the back of a watch ....and those backs are a challenge to get off, whether a pocket watch or a wristwatch

.....and people's eye bug out when I tell them that those movements tick 5 times a second, that's 18,000 times an hour ......can you even imagine how many times that is when you're talking about a watch that has run 50, 60 or more years ?!

...I never get tired of looking at them .....

...Also a cool thing is that those watch companies, from the get go, treated their employees better than any other company in the country .....they knew that they had talented, skilled folks working for them and they treated them as such .....good pay, great working conditions .....no sweat shop kind of envirement for them .....and they had benefits that many people now days would be thrilled to have .....

...We had a LOT of great watch companies .....Illinois, Hamilton, Waltham, Elgin, Gruen, Benrus, South Bend, Wittenauer, just to name the biggest ones ....they employed thousands of people .....women and men both ....

.....Our companies were so good that the Swiss, at that point making all their watches one at a time by hand, sent spies over to our companies to find out why and how we made such superior watches....then they went back to Switzerland and made movements like ours, and made them cheaper, and slowly but surely our companies started using their movements ....that's why you'll see a lot of watches that say Swiss at the bottom of the dial....but we made the cases and dials and the designs .....the last American made movement was made in 1968 by the Hamilton watch company ....

...and to this day, no Swiss pocket watch comes close to ours ......collectors curl their lips and look away when Swiss pocket watches are offered .....pffftttt ....

.....You may have heard of a "Railroad" pocket watch ......they are the result of 2 trains hitting each other head on ( someone's timing was off) .....well, we couldn't have that ....so they challenged the watch companies, and they came through .....a Railroad watch, is adjusted 6 ways, rightside up, facing down...etc.. and they are also not affected by temperature ( from the desert heat to the freezing temps of the high Rockies ....also, I forget what it's called, but it means the watch runs at the exact same rate whether it has just been wound or is just going to need to be wound .....Conductors had to have their watch checked out every single month for accuracy.....Illinois, Hamilton, ELgin and Waltham made most of the Railroad pocket watches....

psychopathetic
02-05-17, 02:27 AM
Holy heck...no wonder you're doing so well! These are incredible! I've never seen jewelry quite like this before! VERY fascinating and unique and beautiful!
Amazing work Salleh!

I also LOVED your photo of your working space hehe. I don't know why, but it just feels so warm and welcoming to me.

(((Hugs)))

Simargl
02-05-17, 04:52 AM
I'm blown away. I was stuck on your workspace at first. It's so cool to see how you've organized all the pieces. I'm envious. I'm still struggling to find the right way to set up my materials and tools. Again, the top picture.. it's incredibly satisfying to look at.

I'm especially fond of the the two bracelets in the upper and lower right corners in the last photo. I like the color combination, size and variation of the shape and patterns. I like that they're subtlety steampunk / Victorian.

I'm not a person who wears larger pieces of jewelry or long earrings which is another reason why I'm drawn to those bracelets in particular.

As far as a design ideas-- smaller stud style earings with the cog details-- or maybe earrings the size of one link in those bracelets-- allowing each side to be a different but at the same time an obvious pair.

I just had a potentially bad idea but I'll write it out anyhow-- paired necklaces with the clockface look. Two necklaces that could be placed together to make a whole. In a dorky comparison-- like the friendship necklaces people used to wear. The separate necklaces stand alone as their own pieces. It doesn't have to look like they're split in two. I think it's a fun idea to give to an S.O. or close friend-- on one hand the lone necklace looks like one of your other lovely pieces but the wearer(s) know that it's one piece of a whole. I hope that makes sense.

salleh
02-05-17, 12:49 PM
Thanks for that Simargl.....I understand what you're saying about the friendship necklace, but not sure how I could pull it off ......the closest I think I could come would be identical watch dial necklaces.....I have a variety of pairs in the dial department, up to and including the large porcelain dials from the early pocketwatches .....they're even larger than the movements, they stick out over the edge of the movement ....

...as for the smaller pieces, I do make a few of them, as I have friends who are just tiny little things and wear very small jewelry, and their smiling faces pop into my head when I am designing ....nothing really lends itself to stud style earrings ....but I can and do use posts sometimes for the tiny ones ....

......THe problem is that I make a huge variety of jewelry, and it gets bigger every new collection, ( I call each seasons work I do over the winter as the latest collection ...) but I can't possibly get an example of each style into a photograph as there are just too many of them .......what can I say ? ...I have a low boredom threshold.....

.....and those tiny dial bracelets are the bomb .....they vie with the fancy watch movement pendants for top seller......they are made from ladies "cocktail " watches from the mid30s to the mid 60s......about 97% of them are white or cream......because leave us face it .....they are the easiest to read dials, and their original purpose was to help you tell the time !

....At different times, for varying periods, rose gold is popular, ( it's in a popular phase right now ) ....the other colored dials are made to go with the rose gold watches ....ergo, they are usually copper colored ....or sometimes yellow gold to go with yellow gold watches ...( I do love that monochromatic look ) ....however, they are usually painted dials, black numbers ....and they were also usually much loved and much worn .....those watches were neither waterproof nor airtight ....so they get grundy, and often all that remains is a dark copper dial, the paint is barely visible .....so that 3% is about half that ....making any colored dial that actually looks like a dial instead of a small disc of copper a real score ! ......the ones I go after like a hungry gator are the NOS ( new old stock) as they are pristine ! ...

....it works out that using about 7 to 8 of those dials per bracelet, for every I make about 30 to 40 white dialed bracelets ......the colored dials one are more expensive ....

...Those bracelets are a royal pain to make ...they take about 10 times the amount of time of anything else ....but I do like them, so......

....and about organizing ......you've got to take it one step at a time .....every artists materials are unique to them ......I started using those little plastic boxes that beaders use ....arrrggghh .....they didn't work at all .....which is why I started making little open boxes out of cardstock ....( I ended up stapling the ends ....tape doesn't hold well enough) ....then I raided every storage box within my range for it's low top, and plunked a whole lotta those boxes into it .....and the little boxes can be made to various sizes depending on your need .....then I looked on ebay and found cardboard "tray" about 10"x14" finished .....I cross stack them so they don't fall into each other ...and stuf doesn't get lost in deep boxes....

...the sticky boards ( those blue ones you see in the photo) ....I came up with the idea when I first started using the tiny dials .....I took a couple of pieces of cardboard and and using masking tape, I stretched it out inside out, brought it around to the back and then taped that down .....as I continued to grow, I started buying cheap foam core board, and cut it into 4 pieces, and made sticky boards out of those .....soon learned that it went much faster using 3" masking tape ....

...They do wear out, sticky loses it's stick and I just remake them .....I put just about everything on those boards....and use them in every step of my processes.....I simply could not do this without them ......there is nothing on the market like them ....it's not cheap, that 3" masking tape is about $14/15 a roll and I go through so many rolls, that I bought a batch of about 12 rolls ....about 1/2 through that ....and I bought them about 6 months ago !

.....because I have stuff on the boards, so they don't stick together and I can stack them very high with confidence .....

....and I had to come up with stuff that didn't take up much room, although my business has gotten so big I had to put up 3 -6 foot wire shelves before I left California .....

.....take your time and don't limit yourself to what's already on the market, use a little bit of your creativity in organizing your materials and tools .....

....and once again ....thank you so much for all your lovely words people .....I must admit, while I am quite delighted with my work, and think I'm really good at it .....an artist always always needs to hear words of praise ......we live on those !