View Full Version : My relationship with Vyvanse

ajm0881
02-02-17, 03:52 PM
Hey All,

I know everyone has chimed in with their experiences so I thought I would do the same. My 35 years old and have depression, anxiety, and was diagnosed recently with Adult ADD. I was finding myself drifting off in conversations or when someone talked to me. So this past September my psychiatrist put me on a cocktail of Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and Vyvanse 50 mg.

Within the first two days, I was so happy. Like over the moon happy. I was hyperfocused, I was productive, I was euphoric, I was just AWESOME. Over time I realized, that I was getting irritable, I was having a terrible time trying to sleep, (there was one day where I stayed awake all night lying in bed staring at the ceiling!!!) and then the straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I started to have some serious sexual side effects. Me and my girlfriend have a very active sex life and have never had any problems at all....until a few weeks ago when I couldn't perform. I figured I was just tired or not in the mood...a few days later we had some of the greatest sex of my life. Thought everything was back to normal. A few days later...NOTHING....AGAIN. I thought that my Testosterone level was low or something was wrong or maybe I was either masturbating or having too much sex and I needed to stop for a while. (My girlfriend is an absolute ROCKSTAR for dealing with this.). Little did I know I was in for a major shock.

Starting January 1, my company switched to a high deductible HSA account coverage so I have an annual deductible 3,000 dollars before copays would hit. So I went to refill my Vyvanse and it was 294 dollars!!!! I tried every coupon, every program, anything....couldn't get it lowered. I was having an absolute panic attack. So I call my psychiatrist and explain and she said she would put me on ritalin and basically hung up on me. Now, I used to work in a hospital pharmacy so I am very careful of what I take. I had never taken Ritalin and I wasn't going to just jump into something. So I did some research...I found out that Adderall XR would work just as well as Vyvanse. I called the manufacturer and the pharmacist and confirmed it. So I went to my doctor just to get my prescription changed. I went to the receptionist and asked for Adderall XR 20 mg. She goes into the doctor's office and gives me a prescription for 10 mg. I said since I have to pay 75 dollars for this, I'm not going to just put anything in my body. I wanted middle of the road 20 mg and if it was too little or too much we could one way or the other. Doctors says she couldn't do that and wrote me a prescription for Dexedrine twice a day. (DexaTrim from the 80s....I remembered it. Had to be pulled from the shelves. NO WAY.)

So...I decide to go to the hospital because I wanted answers and I no longer trusted my doctor. After a talk with the LCSW and doctor I left with a referral for a new doctor and therapist and a thanks for coming. I start thinking it was a waste of my time. But then I started doing research. I look up everything that I was feeling and looked up Vyvanse and realized that everything I had been feeling were all side effects of the medication. On top of that I was experiencing Amphetamine Induced Erectile Dysfunction. I start calling some of my friends and ask if there had been a change in me and everyone said yes. I started to cry. After LOVING this stuff (and a great by product was weight loss), I realized that I should never have a stimulant based ADD medication.

I'm on day 2 of withdrawals and it's rough. Headaches, fatigue, cloudiness, lack of focus...but things are not as bad. I'm regaining function in the right areas so I'm looking forward to this weekend (LOL)...but I will tell you this...I will NEVER EVER recommend anyone for this. I know everyone metabolizes medications differently, but anything with Amphetamines just really can't be good if taken over a long period of time. I have an appointment with a new doctor and I have typed a history of medication I've been on and everything it's made me feel and I'm bringing it with me to give to the doctor. I figured it would be a good place to start. I started doing research on Non Stimulant ADD medications and the only one that I would trust is Strattera. (Not taking Clonidine or Guanfacine. I think that's some off label stuff) but I'm going to let my doctor do his job and see where it goes.

Thanks for listening. I am a little angry at myself for not realizing that my attitude was changing and I look back and it really has. So I'm looking forward to further clarity.

whoisinthere22
02-21-17, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Did you suffer ADHD symptoms before taking vyvanse?

Some people would take the beat of personality change to have a functional life. ADHD sucks, but you gotta what you gotta do.

I would say that Dexedrine works better for some people. It wasn't a bad deal for you.

Little Nut
02-22-17, 01:48 PM
FWIW Vyvanse breaks down to dextroamphetamine and a common amino acid. It is the dextroamphetamine that treats your symptoms. Even though delivery systems are different, I would expect that the Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine sulfate) would be the closest to the Vyvanse. You would need to determine a dosing regimen that is best for you though.

If I knew Vyvanse was effective for me with acceptable side effects and I had to switch I would push back hard at anything other than Dexedrine. -LN

sarahsweets
02-23-17, 02:33 PM
So I call my psychiatrist and explain and she said she would put me on ritalin and basically hung up on me. Now, I used to work in a hospital pharmacy so I am very careful of what I take. I had never taken Ritalin and I wasn't going to just jump into something. So I did some research...I found out that Adderall XR would work just as well as Vyvanse. I called the manufacturer and the pharmacist and confirmed it. So I went to my doctor just to get my prescription changed. I went to the receptionist and asked for Adderall XR 20 mg. She goes into the doctor's office and gives me a prescription for 10 mg. I said since I have to pay 75 dollars for this, I'm not going to just put anything in my body. I wanted middle of the road 20 mg and if it was too little or too much we could one way or the other. Doctors says she couldn't do that and wrote me a prescription for Dexedrine twice a day. (DexaTrim from the 80s....I remembered it. Had to be pulled from the shelves. NO WAY.) This is completely wrong. Dexatrim is nothing like dexedrine. It was a weight loss supplement and not a medication and it had nothing to do with adhd.
The two are VERY different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexatrim

You cant just decide what med and dose you want just because you can read google. You should have tried the 10mg because its a new med and whether its cost effective or not at that dose, its still cheaper than the vyvanse. Adderall is similar to vyvanse because it contains amphetamine but dexedrine is closer. Adderall contains levoamphetamine which can cause extra PNS stimulation. Dexedrine is plain amphetamine and can be a better choice for people that have been on vyvanse.

So...I decide to go to the hospital because I wanted answers and I no longer trusted my doctor. After a talk with the LCSW and doctor I left with a referral for a new doctor and therapist and a thanks for coming. I start thinking it was a waste of my time.
Well what did you expect a hospital which is meant for emergencies, to do?

I know everyone metabolizes medications differently, but anything with Amphetamines just really can't be good if taken over a long period of time. I have an appointment with a new doctor and I have typed a history of medication I've been on and everything it's made me feel and I'm bringing it with me to give to the doctor. I figured it would be a good place to start. I started doing research on Non Stimulant ADD medications and the only one that I would trust is Strattera. (Not taking Clonidine or Guanfacine. I think that's some off label stuff) but I'm going to let my doctor do his job and see where it goes.

The safety and efficacy of amphetamines long term has been well studied and has stats and science to back it up. They are ok for long term use.