View Full Version : Non/low response to MPH. Thoughts?

passingthought
02-02-17, 06:43 PM
I started taking Medikinet IR either in early November and am now taking 30mg + 10mg.

My psychiatrist is very paranoid about prescribing MPH and doesn't want to further increase my dose. (I don't think it's fair that I'd only get one 'effective' dose a day.)

She was going to pull the plug if I didn't respond at 25mg but I combined my doses one day and I think 30mg maybe had an effect? But I'm not sure. So, we're trialling it for 10 days and then deciding whether to pull the plug.

I feel like I must be mad. Why am I not responding? No side effects, no objective effects (pulse, bp, ECG, weight) and questionable positive effects.

I just want to cry. I'd really hoped this might help. I really don't want to trial atomoxetine and psych. doesn't want to do dexamfetamine as she says it's unlikely to work if MPH doesn't.

Has anyone had this happen and had luck with something else?

aeon
02-02-17, 07:45 PM
Get a new psychiatrist who knows something about adult ADHD and meds.

I would have never responded to 40mg...when I was taking Concerta, my dose was 108mg/day, and when it was Methylin ER, it was 80-120mg/day.

Also, just because you don’t notice much of anything on 40mg/day of methylphenidate, it means nothing in terms of how you will respond to dextroamphetamine.

Your meds aren’t working because your psychiatrist isn’t working.

Cheers,
Ian

passingthought
02-03-17, 11:58 AM
Get a new psychiatrist who knows something about adult ADHD and meds.

I would have never responded to 40mg...when I was taking Concerta, my dose was 108mg/day, and when it was Methylin ER, it was 80-120mg/day.

Also, just because you donít notice much of anything on 40mg/day of methylphenidate, it means nothing in terms of how you will respond to dextroamphetamine.

Your meds arenít working because your psychiatrist isnít working.

Cheers,
Ian

Thank you for your post.

I'm not sure that she doesn't know about adult ADHD as much as she actively rejects stuff - seemingly while convinced that she's doing the best thing. It makes it even more frustrating in a way.

The most relevant example is that at the sessions she told me the stuff above, she also said that the consultant 'above' her told her to ignore the 60mg/day limit as recommended for adults is 100mg/day.

But apparently she's only prescribed above 40mg/day three times, the only one over 50 was 54mg Medikinet XL.

I've really run out of patience for her paranoia.

I'm thinking of asking for a second opinion and/or said consultant depending on the outcome of the next appointment.

passingthought
02-03-17, 11:59 AM
Also, thanks for letting me know that you responded at a higher dose. I feel pretty alien when I go to my appointments as most people would have shown some response before 30mg, I'm told.

passingthought
03-19-17, 09:51 AM
Update: The psychiatrist doing my second opinion is much less paranoid. Last week I trialed 40mg +10mg and this week I'm trialing 50mg +10mg.

dopaminerush
04-14-17, 04:09 PM
Change it until you get what you want.

Some psychiatrists are ignorant as hell about adult adhd.

Metyhlphenidate itself is a problematic drug. its half life and effectiveness is very very different person to person. Some people need dosages every two hours some need every 5-6 hours and some need very very high dosages. Long acting formulas are not working properly some need additional small IR dosages during using concerta to prevent suicidal depression because of fct up dopamine receptors and not enough plasma concentrations.

If you give 2 hour metabolizing person a high IR dosage at once to make effects last longer, its not gonna work, it will only cause a cocaine high, euphoria, mania .. after it ends you will collapse like a dead animal.
Just be carefull and find best route for yourself. Or talk about other options to your doctors, like tryclic antidepressans, moclobemid, seleglin, atomexetine, reboxetine...etc.