View Full Version : What to do with unused adderall xr

baels16
02-03-17, 02:57 PM
Hi guys. This is my first post, and I wasn't able to find what I was looking for using the search option.

I have been prescribed adderall xr 30 mg, but i was recently lowered down to 25 mg xr because of side effects. The problem is I have over 30 days of pills in the 30mg form.

I don't want all the unused pills to go to waste, would breaking up the capsule work to help lower the dosage of the 30 mg roughly? Or should I just drop off the adderall to a drug collection place.

midnightstar
02-03-17, 03:06 PM
Hello and welcome :) What does your doctor advise you to do with the unused pills?

dvdnvwls
02-03-17, 03:09 PM
Take it to the same pharmacy where you got it. If they aren't able to just take it back themselves, they will be able to tell you the right thing to do.

Fraser_0762
02-03-17, 03:20 PM
Take them back to the pharmacy. Don't attempt to break XR capsules or tablets up. They're constructed in a very particular way.

C15H25N3O
02-03-17, 03:49 PM
Keep da 30mgs for da day when da 25mg are da low.

Ya better hoard dem ... or give dem to yer doc.

Dey are paid! Bringin dem to da pharmacy is waste of

insurance money.

Dang!

Postulate
02-03-17, 04:29 PM
Adderall has no shelf life if sealed and kept cool. You never know if you'll need 30XR in 3 or 4 years. It's paid for, it's yours.

dvdnvwls
02-03-17, 04:34 PM
By "no shelf life" I'm guessing you mean "indefinite shelf life". No shelf life would mean it goes bad by tomorrow for sure. :)

namazu
02-04-17, 12:04 AM
Some pharmacies won't take back unused medication, though others now have programs to do so.

There's a national drug "take-back" day in the US scheduled for April 29, 2017. You can find details here (https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/takeback/) (though they don't have much posted yet).

Alternatively, your town or county may have a program in place -- a scheduled date, or a drop-box at the police station, or something like that. You may be able to find information online or by calling a local 411-type number or your local police station.

I concur with others that splitting the pills is not a good idea (and that if you have room, and no worries about small children, it might not hurt to hang onto them just in case your dose changes again).