View Full Version : Is there an adhd medication that doesn't cause anxiety?

jonnynobody
02-03-17, 06:09 PM
Here's a brief rundown to provide some background:

I'm 32 and have had almost 70 jobs in my life due to my add issues. I have an 8th grade education having dropped out in the 9th grade due to behavioral issues. Let's just say that I didn't get along with authority figures and I couldn't integrate into the more complex system of high school life.

In my teens I experimented with every drug I could get my hands on and smartened up by my early 20's after torturing myself for nearly a year with a nasty little heroin addiction. I then moved on to a more socially acceptable drug which was alcohol. I proceeded to indulge alcoholism for the duration of my 20's. I nearly lost everything due to my alcoholism (good job of 5 years), so I decided to quit. This coming October will be 2 years free of my alcoholism and man it's great. I have gotten off all of my prescription drugs and now only smoke pot which I've done daily since the age of 15. I've tried to quit numerous times, but the psychological withdrawal is too intense for me to handle without benzodiazepines and I don't want to begin a benzo addiction just to end (possibly?) my marijuana habit. I've tried 2 or 3 times in the last year alone and I have a full blown mental breakdown that turns to aggression and suicidal tendencies. It's not pretty and I'm too ashamed to even talk about it with anyone I know other than my wife.

Anywho, I lost my job of 5 years to a layoff and my whole world of stability and routine ended. It's been 10 months since then and I've had 7 jobs and am unemployed again. I've decided I need to get my mental disorder under control in an effort to save my life, so I don't wind up putting a bullet in my head out in the woods. I see the doctor on the 15th and am having him provide a referral to a psychiatrist for assessment and ongoing treatment.

I'd like to try treating my add to see if I can hold my life together and work towards a real future. The only add drug I have ever taken was adderall IR and XR. The side effects were too much for me to handle and I gave up treatment. Is there an add drug that doesn't cause that nasty anxiety when the drug wears off? Is the only way to combat the anxiety of these type of medications by taking a benzodiazepine in the evening? I'm desperate for options here and welcome any and all opinions / rants.

A kid that grew up down the road from me who is my best friends little brother owns and operates his own mortgage loan agency (no college education by the way) and takes adderall XR during the day and xanax at night to balance out the come down. He makes over $200k/year and manages his life quite well. I would like to manage my life well also...desperately.

dvdnvwls
02-03-17, 06:21 PM
Strattera isn't a stimulant and doesn't cause anxiety. It works very well, when it works - not everyone responds to it.

jonnynobody
02-03-17, 06:46 PM
I've heard about straterra, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll talk to the doctor about it and see what he says. Amphetamine rebound is a *****. I sometimes wonder how anybody deals with it without a bottle of xanax close by. Maybe it's all the late night coke come downs I tortured myself with throughout my teens, but I have a limited mental capacity for any kind of stimulant rebound.

sarahsweets
02-07-17, 03:54 PM
There are other drugs like dexedrine which is also amphetamine but it doesnt contain the levoamphetamine that adderall has. Alot of times the issue with adderall is excess PNS stimulation which is usually due to too high a dose or the levoamphetamine.

Fuzzy12
02-07-17, 08:08 PM
I got bad anxiety initially with both methyl phenidate and dexamphetamine but the anxiety disappeared after a while (maybe a fww weeks. I dont remember) and the meds actually helped me with anxiety.

Also congrats on quitting heroine abd then alcohol. That's very impressive. It can't have been easy.