View Full Version : Adderall when sick

Swissy
02-04-17, 09:11 PM
Let me preface this by saying I take a smaller dosage of adderall IR than I have been allowed.

I am fighting a cold- low fever, sniffles, body aches and fatigue. I am wondering if taking an extra 5mg would help get through work and caring for smy small kids, tending to housework etc. I wouldn't consider this if I were actually able to call out of work and rest. I have been working late into the night, back in before 7am and still trying to keep up with home life. My normal 10mg IR helps some but my scatterbrain and fatigue are winning. I would love advice from someone who has tried upping their dose to get through a virus like this.

Thanks!

aeon
02-04-17, 09:19 PM
Absolutely not.

Cheers,
Ian

dvdnvwls
02-04-17, 09:19 PM
In my own experience, this type of medication approached useless as I got sick.

If you are by choice taking less than prescribed, and you find that going up to the actual prescribed amount it works for you, then of course go ahead - but it might not be as helpful as you're hoping. There's only one way to find out. Just don't go over what was prescribed.

Edited to add this:

aeon is probably right.

Little Missy
02-04-17, 09:26 PM
Adderall and sick do not go together with me. If I'm sick it is just a waste for me to even take it. Blah.

Fraser_0762
02-04-17, 09:27 PM
No, you would just be putting your body under more stress. Not a good idea when your immune system is fighting off a virus.

If its an on going issue, then i'd see your GP about getting something that will actually help target the virus. Don't try to mask it with Adderall.

Swissy
02-04-17, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys. I won't take more, Fraser makes sense. Maybe I will lay off the adderall until I am better.

Postulate
02-05-17, 04:43 PM
When I'm sick, I take my medication as prescribed without issues. Adderall, like all amphetamines, suppresses the immune system in two ways:

1)A mechanism for altered T-cell function is that METH modifies oxidative stress responses. The ability of reactive oxidative free radicals to impair T lymphocyte function has been documented in various human pathologic conditions.

I'll explain this one a bit. Oxydative stress is caused by an unfulfilled ability to do what you like. For example, if you don't like your work, you get stressed, because your body is chemically able to do a more pleasant activity like having fun, and instead has to do something it doesn't like until all chemical potential for having fun is exhausted. As you may have noticed, your ability to have fun is much greater in the morning when you wake up, than in the evening when you get back from work. The % difference between your chemical potential to have fun before and after work equals your stress %. When you take Adderall, your potential to have fun has dramatically increased, so if you DON'T have fun, you are causing much greater oxydative stress as well and like the study is saying, you're suppressing T lymphocytes.

2) We recently showed that the impairment of adaptive immunity by METH diminishes the ability of mammalian hosts to mount and maintain efficient immune responses to pathogens (Martinez et al., 2009 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4290678/#B87)).

Now here's the thing. These tests were done on mamals locked in a cage that couldn't run freely in the tropical forest, and, due to their captivity were stressed and depressed. And the doses that were given to them were enough to keep them on total insomnia for over 15 days in a row until they started to lose the ability to eat and walk. This is animal abuse, just to be clear. We are not talking about humans taking therapeutic doses.

If you take a therapeutic dose of Adderall and you watch your favorite film, I doubt you will get any oxydative stress and I also doubt your immune system will suffer too much. If you take 150mg/day and don't sleep for 9 consecutive nights until you start seeing and hearing people and partially lose your ability to speak, then your immune system might have to suffer, similarly to how the animals in those papers suffered a decrease in immune system.

So it is important to interpret those following papers in the following way: That barbaric abuse of Adderall will significantly reduce your adaptive immune system when fighting a new pathogen. We're not talking about your therapeutic dose here.

Your therapeutic dose might even have beneficial effects because, among other things, causes sweating which is known to eliminate toxins, it causes a heightened metabolism and a generally better working body and many people have reported, including myself, that they never fall sick while on Adderall so it might even have a long term beneficial effect if you're not too stressed at your job. Withdrawing from Adderall when your sick might not be the best idea ever. If you did suppress your immune system with Adderall for a year, it won't recover in a day after you crash. What's most likely to happen is your body will be weakened from the crash and more vulnerable.

So just leave your dose alone and take care of yourself.

Source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4290678/

sarahsweets
02-07-17, 12:59 PM
When I'm sick, I take my medication as prescribed without issues. Adderall, like all amphetamines, suppresses the immune system in two ways:

1)A mechanism for altered T-cell function is that METH modifies oxidative stress responses. The ability of reactive oxidative free radicals to impair T lymphocyte function has been documented in various human pathologic conditions.

I'll explain this one a bit. Oxydative stress is caused by an unfulfilled ability to do what you like. For example, if you don't like your work, you get stressed, because your body is chemically able to do a more pleasant activity like having fun, and instead has to do something it doesn't like until all chemical potential for having fun is exhausted. As you may have noticed, your ability to have fun is much greater in the morning when you wake up, than in the evening when you get back from work. The % difference between your chemical potential to have fun before and after work equals your stress %. When you take Adderall, your potential to have fun has dramatically increased, so if you DON'T have fun, you are causing much greater oxydative stress as well and like the study is saying, you're suppressing T lymphocytes.

2) We recently showed that the impairment of adaptive immunity by METH diminishes the ability of mammalian hosts to mount and maintain efficient immune responses to pathogens (Martinez et al., 2009 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4290678/#B87)).

Now here's the thing. These tests were done on mamals locked in a cage that couldn't run freely in the tropical forest, and, due to their captivity were stressed and depressed. And the doses that were given to them were enough to keep them on total insomnia for over 15 days in a row until they started to lose the ability to eat and walk. This is animal abuse, just to be clear. We are not talking about humans taking therapeutic doses.

If you take a therapeutic dose of Adderall and you watch your favorite film, I doubt you will get any oxydative stress and I also doubt your immune system will suffer too much. If you take 150mg/day and don't sleep for 9 consecutive nights until you start seeing and hearing people and partially lose your ability to speak, then your immune system might have to suffer, similarly to how the animals in those papers suffered a decrease in immune system.

So it is important to interpret those following papers in the following way: That barbaric abuse of Adderall will significantly reduce your adaptive immune system when fighting a new pathogen. We're not talking about your therapeutic dose here.

Your therapeutic dose might even have beneficial effects because, among other things, causes sweating which is known to eliminate toxins, it causes a heightened metabolism and a generally better working body and many people have reported, including myself, that they never fall sick while on Adderall so it might even have a long term beneficial effect if you're not too stressed at your job. Withdrawing from Adderall when your sick might not be the best idea ever. If you did suppress your immune system with Adderall for a year, it won't recover in a day after you crash. What's most likely to happen is your body will be weakened from the crash and more vulnerable.

So just leave your dose alone and take care of yourself.

Source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4290678/

Your souce is talking about illegal street methamphetamine.

Postulate
02-08-17, 07:29 PM
^ So we agree that, your doctor prescribed Adderall being safer is therefore another reason to take it while sick.

Little Missy
02-08-17, 07:35 PM
^ So we agree that, your doctor prescribed Adderall being safer is therefore another reason to take it while sick.

No "we" YOU, if you must.

Postulate
02-09-17, 09:37 AM
No "we" YOU, if you must.

I'm not used to saying yes to non-sense Missy, because I don't have a girlfriend! You're not really giving a young man a chance to go deep and find truth. Maybe your truth, is Truth. I have yet to discover it! You gotta be more understanding with men a bit...seeking truth sometimes means missing the point of life, so if you volunteer to show me how I missed mine I'm willing to leave logic aside for a few hours, otherwise, I will have to be logical!

:)

Little Missy
02-09-17, 09:41 AM
I'm not used to saying yes to non-sense Missy, because I don't have a girlfriend! You're not really giving a young man a chance to go deep and find truth. Maybe your truth, is Truth. I have yet to discover it!

:)

Well, I'll be. Touche. Find your truth. :)

sarahsweets
02-09-17, 11:47 AM
Meds when sick are basically wasted imo.

Little Missy
02-09-17, 04:12 PM
Here is a living example. I am sick and have been for at least three weeks. I had to go to LOL's today and took my Adderall. I'm mad AND I have a headache. Nothing is going to make this better.

Bu that's just me.

Little Missy
02-09-17, 04:14 PM
But wait, I havn't been drinking coffee because it doesn't taste right. Maybe I need a pot of coffee. There may be hope.

Little Missy
02-09-17, 04:45 PM
But wait, I havn't been drinking coffee because it doesn't taste right. Maybe I need a pot of coffee. There may be hope.

PLEASE let this pot of coffee save me.

Little Missy
02-09-17, 05:39 PM
PLEASE let this pot of coffee save me.

I'm chugging it...something has got to give here...

Little Missy
02-09-17, 06:02 PM
gah...help me...